VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a thought...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Just a thought... Reply with quote

How to fix the debacle over "mail-in" voting (no this is not political):

One: polls open 10 days early.

Two: Drive thru balloting. We have drive thru windows for restaurants, why not for voting? We can use McDonald's for a couple of days and you can vote and get a burger and fry. Thank you voting McDonald's.

Any other ideas?

F2
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock on wood the uproar over this debacle will make those in charge forgo this bad move so we may not need something drastic.

However, easy access to ballots is one of the few complaints of the current leadership, and drive through ballots... well, no.

But if the states that do this like Oregon does, to register to vote you have to prove who you are and that your eligible, in person, first. Then they mail one and only one ballot to each registered voter. When the ballots are returned there are a couple of tests to make sure it's yours including a careful review of your signature. Questionable ballots are set aside and reviewed more or tossed out. We have virtually zero fraud here.

Ballots are mailed to us around October 16th so there is two weeks to fill it and return in. We have lots of drop boxes for those who don't trust the mails (or are big procrastinators).

To ensure timely delivery we could move mail out by a couple of days but that's it. Other states are quite different. Many have much more time for early voting and absentee ballots.

Again, I think we the people shamed the people involved in this outrage enough that it shouldn't be a problem. I look forward to the Congressional hearings and the 21 (so far) state law suits filed against the Postmaster and Post Office Board of Governors.

Don't mess with our inalienable rights!!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bruce writes: ...to register to vote you have to prove who you are and that your eligible, in person, first. Then they mail one and only one ballot to each registered voter. When the ballots are returned there a couple of tests to make sure it's yours including a careful review of your signature. Questionable ballots are set aside and reviewed more or tossed out."

Good idea, but add a "chit" to the ballot which needs to be turned in, or only registered voters with a chit can vote through the drive thru window and the chit is turned in at the window.

Remember too, at Mickey's D's you have them on camera, so if the video doesn't match the chit and the I.D. of the person then the ballot is/would be thrown out. And, facial recognition software would disallow any vote from people trying to vote at several Mickey D's or commit fraud.

But, you could still get a burger and fry.

Solve the problem, don't make more.

F2

Last edited by Frank F on Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as of this writing it is the evening of 8/19/2020 - plenty of time to apply for & receive an absentee ballot if someone is at risk or simply wants an absentee ballot. the process is already in place, and it works. easy. you have to ask for the ballot & prove that you are you.

if you aren't at risk - i don't see going to vote as being any more risky than going to the market --- and (so far) we can still do that.

i usually go to my local precinct voting location to vote because i like the experience ... that's likely what i'll do in november.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you get a burger and fries Todd?

I am with you. I fully intend to vote in person. It is not just the experience but my duty as an American to vote under the rules of the Constitution.

F2
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Connecticut, absentee ballots were automatically mailed to everyone. Although I am supposed to have my mail forwarded, the one that was sent to me was sitting in my mailbox in CT until this past Saturday, when my friend went to my house to check for storm damage and to gather up the mail in my box and send it to me in Florida. He sent the package on Monday. How long it takes to get here should be a good gauge of how long things are being delayed.

Meanwhile, knowing that my absentee ballot was languishing in my CT mailbox, I downloaded an application for a ballot, filled it out with my Florida address, and mailed it to the Town Clerk's office about a month ago. I still have not received that ballot. The (primary) election was last Tuesday.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: