VO-BB - A VO Family Forum Index VO-BB - A VO Family
A welcoming home for those in this crazy profession

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paging George Whittam re: Headphones
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronharpervoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my DT 770s. Yes, they are very comfortable. I don't get into to many sonic arguments, since I'm sure that 30 years of radio left its mark on my hearing.
When I started in the biz, I was using the Radio Shack Duophones. Remember those - stethoscope like. Later graduated to the Koss Pro 4AA (free lifetime repairs!!) and then Koss changed something, and they weren't like before.
www.ronharper.com/blog
www.videosonyourwebsite.com
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the Sony's are the most comfortable for directed sessions or short use but they fried my ears when I use to wear them all day, that high end get's really harsh after a while. Sony's also fold up nicely for travel cans.

The 770s didn't have that problem nearly as bad.

That said, I'm almost 100% just on studio monitors, these days, if it's not a directed session.
JohnV
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my... I hadn;t EVER thought of My Headphone Timeline...
first were some classic bakelite hockypucks that came with a Hallicrafters ham receiver...
Then the KOS KO-727's ( small radio speakers in a nice cup... I had ARRIVED!)
After that came the 80's YAMAHA headphones which were the most neutral thing I;d heard... I'd found there was a Better PLace...

Along came the SHURE 7506 which, like the YAMAHA NS-10 monitor speaker, is a long way from ACCURATE or NATURAL or even PLEASANT but bombproof and you tend not to make mistakes with them... have several.

Then I was working with a classical recordist and he had (WARNING: We Are Approaching Lamborghini-Strata... take your seats) STAX LAMBDA-PROs.
In 1980 dollars these were $1500 worth of large open kinda-not-square cages on either side of your head that sounded like NOTHING... just a magical transport of your hearing to Somewhere ELse... somewhere sonic that was more-real than what you had heard before you put them on. I bought a pair of STAX SR-34's for like 1/10 of that cost.

The I got a deal on BEYER DT990's... as mentioned here they are large COMFY open-air headphones (NOT for booth work) but for anything else WONDERFUL and at least in the ballpark of teh high end STAX
. The Beyer DT770 is a closed-back version and almost as nice... again SUPER comfy for long use. Sennheiser makes similar...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - A VO Family Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: