VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

APAC Dates and Rates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Hiring Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Is it good for business or just a good thing to do?.

Both. The audiobook world is clinging desperately to the old school style of requiring hand shaking and face time if you want to get in bed with publishers. You have to establish a relationship and the best way to do that is to schmooze at APAC.

The audiobook world is very different from VO. While there are thousands of producers who can hire me for elearning, commercials, video narration etc, there are about 7 audiobook companies who hold all the gigs. That requires a very different approach to getting work, one in which traditional marketing has no effect.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no doubt in my mind about the fun side but I was unsure about the business element.

Seeing the explanation from you regarding how the market works I see the logic in "being seen to be seen" and eschewing traditional marketing. I think I'd just try letting people know what I did by narrating my actions during the entire event.

"Philip arrived at the door and smiled quietly to himself. He'd learned years ago that it was impossible to smile loudly at someone else. He stood, narrator-like near the door and scanned the room. No one had a bar code so his scanner proved as useless as a Braille CD edition of 50 Shades of Grey. He drummed his fingers impatiently on a passing producer. The drumming was five four time, inspired by Take 5 performed by Dave Brubeck. People stared. Now was his chance ....."

Chance to be removed by security no doubt.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip,

I've attended the last 2 APACs. A year and a half ago, as a result of a conversation right as APAC was winding down, I started a relationship with the largest independent audiobook production company, Blackstone Audio, for whom I have been narrating steadily now. (I also booked a job with a smaller production company, but that was for a single, rather specialized title and seems unlikely to repeat itself.)

Then this past summer another chance encounter at the start of APAC resulted in my starting work with another of the major players in the audiobook world, Tantor Audio. I'm starting another book for them next week.

Another point that may be of interest, like VOX, APAC is essentially a single day (with the Audie awards event the following day) in a single venue with both producers and talent in attendance.

So, it is most certainly a "both" kind of thing. Fun to see old friends and make new ones. Equally fun to connect with people interested in hiring me for work that I enjoy.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bob, I've attended the past two APACs and I went to the Audies. Both were fruitful and fun! It's no FaffCon (nothing comes close to the Faff experience) but I learned a lot and met some great people. My networking at the Audies was actually more productive than networking at APAC itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that it does so well for people both personally and and at a business level.
Jen Gosnell
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone who has commented here on the audiobook industry practices. Interesting reading for those of us who may choose to pursue more of this type of gig in the future.

Jeff, regarding this:
Quote:
there are about 7 audiobook companies who hold all the gigs.

Are you including Audible and/or ACX in that list? Just curious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: