VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Newbie Sense is tingling!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: My Newbie Sense is tingling! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!
My name is Sean, and I realized i've committed a bit of a faux pas by respondin' to a few threads without properly introducing myself. Thankfully, a few of you have graciously offered advice on the forums and pms without stressin' the ish.

I'm an English teacher workin' in Nagasaki, Japan, recevin' training via skype an workin' towards demo production. My current setup is what you might call "audition quality" (blue yei pro, porta-booth plus, mac air) but I'm savin away, eagerly awaitin my first condenser/AD combo (most likely the cad e100s and itrack solo or onyx blackjack, as well as some "studio suit" sheets to improve acoustics).

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's generously offered their thoughts already, and the whole vo-bb for the wonderful respurce it offers to talent on every level of the skill spectrum!

And yes, that is totally me in the spidey suit. Excelsior!
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sean! Welcome! By any chance did you know Joe Moore?? Not sure where he taught, but he was also in Japan for a few years teaching English. Joe was a former vo student of mine and also spent some time working at vo talent agencies before Japan. He's back here now.

B
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's such a pleasure to hear from you, Bob! Your reputation certainly puh-dee-a-puh-dee-a precedes you. Wink. It may be an amazing coincidence, but I do know a Joe Moore who recently moved back to the states. I've just written to find out if he's your student. He's a great guy, and I sincerely hope it's the same one! Thank you again for the warm welcome!

Warmest Regards,

Sean Daeley
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOO small!! I haven't seen him since he's been back. I myself am currently on vacation in London.

Thanks for your nice note! Keep me posted on your vo ventures. Porkysvoice@aol.com

B
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: My Newbie Sense is tingling! Reply with quote

sdaeley17 wrote:
My current setup is what you might call "audition quality" (blue yei pro, porta-booth plus, mac air) but I'm savin away, eagerly awaitin my first condenser/AD combo (most likely the cad e100s and itrack solo or onyx blackjack, as well as some "studio suit" sheets to improve acoustics).

I think you'll like the cad e100s. Although you will want a quiet environment.

I just returned the Focusrite Scarlett i2i and kept the Mackie Onyx Blackjack. (I had them both at the same time to compare). They both had comparable A/D quality but the big factor for me was the amount of headphone level I can get out of the Blackjack. (You can hurt yourself if you're not careful.) The poor Scarlett wasn't loud enough to suit me even at full volume. (plus the Blackjack is built like a tank)

As for the "studio suit." (Although Dan Lenard is a very likable guy) His re-purposed Military Surplus material, appears (at least to me) to be very bulky and heavy, which makes me wonder about the economics of having it shipped all the way to Japan. You might consider trying to find a closet filled with lots of clothes to start.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Fran McClellan
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Sean! Great to have you here!
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! And thank you, CA, for the expert advice and invaluable comparison. I'd been juggling those two models for a while, but it sounds like onyx's higher hp output (I don't have monitors yet). And lack of source connect issues win against the scarlett's sports car form factor.

Ironically, my room is the elephant in the room as far as an ideal recording space, i've been recording from the porta-booth on my desk, but i'm worried that if the cad is as sensitive to room noise as you say, it'll pick up the fridge, the street car, the fire truck, police station, and the ambulance all conveniently located outside my apartment. I'm wondering if a dynamic like the SM7B or the MD 421 might be a better option...

Thanks again, everyone, for taking the time to welcome me and generously offer your advice!
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Hei Sean! Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

My friend has an e100S and says it picks up the hairs moving in his nose (or something like that). For a "bad room" it would not be the my first choice. Have an SM7B and it worked well for me before getting my room in order! So +1 for that.

Someone else mentioned a Michael Joly U67 "sound-a-like" that is quite forgiving as well but you might have to research that one more.

Hope it all works out for you.

Mac

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mac! I'll give the mod a look-see!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean,

Welcome to the VO-BB!
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Scott Lyle
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Sean! As you've already found, this place is a great one! Glad to have you here.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Mac, I loved your friends analogy for the CAD; it doesn't help my case, but it's great endorsement, nonetheless!

Hello, Bob and Scott!

Bob, I'm a huge fan of your blog and your work, and your blog roll is without compare!

Scott, you are absolutely right about the wonderful voasis that is the BB; I've learned so much in the weeks I've persed the forums, and I'm so happy to be a registered member now.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the hoopla, sean!

sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Todd!
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konnichiwa, sean! i'm happy to see you stopped dropping your Gs. Smile

hey, rhyme!
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: