VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Training Conference Leave Behinds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panright
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Training Conference Leave Behinds Reply with quote

Looking for some out-of-the-box ideas for a "leave behind" for an upcoming conference. I can use just my elearning demo but...I want to ratchet it up a bit to make it more memorable.

Lots of these folks are using Camtasia or Articulate and doing bad recordings -- so I want to make a point about the impact of pro audio quality without being condescending; or perhaps create something that is a "nice" parody.

Is a straight-ahead demo safest?

Ideas welcome!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perry - i'm not sure i have an answer to your question but, one thing i've noticed with my e-learning clients is that they are behind the technology curve with regard to web format. i.e. most of them are using flash and their techs are NOT well versed in getting the most out of audio in the compression process. i've done stuff that has sounded like crap in the final output - when i know for a fact that it could have sounded MUCH better, with a smaller file size.

what about a before & after demo with amateur audio vs. properly compressed professional audio?

i've approached individual clients with it VERY recently and it's something i've been thinking about a lot.

panright
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob--

Thank you for taking the time to reply; I too think that many folks are behind the curve (I keep running into people who are using an awful synthesized voice vs. a real human, e.g.).

I think the "before and after" idea is sound (no pun intended) - I just have to find some BAD audio (or fabricate my own).
panright
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TODD -

PLEASE FORGIVE. I have no idea who "Rob" is. Laura Petry mode must be turned on by accident.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful of parody, Perry. Some o' these folks are really proud of their self-narrated Camtasia Creations. Undecided You don't want to alienate or embarrass anyone...
FaffCon
TalkerTees
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not try to educate people, do not imply they are doing anything wrong, do not look down at other VOs, producers or production companies.

Attend conference. Take a demo on a USB upon which you have your website details and offer to sell it to any person you meet for $5 with the promise you'll donate the proceed to a local children's charity.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually wasn't talking so much about the quality of the voiceover (everybody has a different voice in their head) - as i was the quality of the final product. even with a compu-voice many of these elearning web videos can have much better audio quality if the client's tech department is clued in on proper compression for audio in flash. the folks i have talked to already work with me, so maybe i'm less of a threat, but i believe if you help your client produce a better product you become more than a part-time employee - you become an asset.

btw - ROB ellis is on this board too --- no relation.

panright
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK -- Phillip has officially scared me Gasp Laugh

Thank you Phillip, Amy and Todd. I've been ruminating over this and I agree that anything perceived as a "put down" in any fashion is not the best introduction (to Todd's and Amy's point - perhaps it's best to get acquainted and THEN put forward suggestions for improvement).

The straight-ahead approach that Mr. Banks suggests is the simplest and most cost-effective; my other idea is to somehow make it humorous for those who are perhaps frustrated by the process/technology, and demonstrate for them how much simpler it could make their lives by hiring a pro.

I'll let you know how it shakes out.
panright
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS --

Philip - Sorry for the mis-spelling of your name.
'Pery'
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like to throw the extra "L" in on occasion free of charge. just a little something to show that i appreciate the business.

melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I NEVER apologize when I misspell Phiiips name.
panright
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Follow-up Reply with quote

To all who were kind enough to read and/or post advice, I remembered a very key point about dealing with clients that I nearly lost sight of: What can I do to help THEM; how do I solve a problem for THEM; what can I offer THEM...vs. what can they do for me by hiring me, etc etc.

Ultimately I came up with the idea of a "thank you" for their time. My leave-behind is a 2-minute e-learning module with some basic tips on getting the attention of their OWN potential clients, incorporating an educational theory that most of this group would be familiar with.

Sounds complicated here -- but is actually very simple. I got the idea after listening to a TED Conference lecture about the ways in which great businesses approach their clients by first knowing what they (the companies) believe are their core values, and then selling to people who are committed to the same things.

ANYWAY - the long and short of it is that I now have what I think is actually a useful leave-behind, and not just a demo. (My demo appears at the end of the module I created though) cool

Thanks for listening...
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, Perry!
FaffCon
TalkerTees
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you struck that nail right on the head.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, I have picked up hundreds of clients by attending all manner of convention and trade show. Quite often, one can get a free pass to the Expo. Other times, offering to volunteer or being creative in another fashion can get you in.

What I do is focus on both the booths and the people visiting the booths. I always have specialty imprinted merchandise, such as spiral pads, highlighters and more recently, cork screw/ bottle openers.

My experience is that most people throw stuff into a bag. When they get home they read the magazines and generally feel overwhelmed and stick the rest of the stuff somewhere, then 6 months later throw it out.

As such, my marketing is done 1 - 3 weeks after the convention is over.

Among other things, I bring a 5 X 7 simple spiral notebook with me and a tot stapler. I found a flat one that uses standard size staples and fits nicely in my pocket. When someone hands me their card and we begin a conversation, I make sure to remember the pertinent details and then staple their card to a page and write down the notes. In some cases I will do this while still engaged in conversation with the person, otherwise I wait until I they have walked away.

I will ask pertinent questions such as LinkedIn or FaceBook status and would they be willing to accept an invite from me, etc.

In future communications, I remind them that I was the guy who gave them the corkscrew, etc.

I have found it fairly ineffectual to leave behind DVD's, CD's, etc.,

A few times, I was able to get some deals on books that would be of interest to a particular group and would send one out afterwards with my materials.

Just like in radio, you may be delivering a message to the masses, but it's best if it is perceived as a one on one communication.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "problem solver". The key is to have them feel that their life would be made easier by working with you.

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: