VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Critique of Samson Mike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Hammock
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Critique of Samson Mike Reply with quote

A Big Texas Howdy to everyone,

I have a very good friend who just purchased the below mike at Microcenter in Houston. Please give an HONEST critique-Good,Bad ,or Ugly.

Samson C01U
Thanks,

Don
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros

* good, uncolored sound
* convenient USB interface
* software phase and low-cut controls
* no apparent latency problems
* very reasonable price
* works well with MME drivers
* sample rates between 8 and 48kHz, with 16-bit resolution
* 19 mm diaphragm

Cons

* driver does not support stereo pairs
* does not offer 24-bit sampling
* no software uninstall option
* USB limits cable length
* needs practice to get best audio out of the microphone
* no perceptible proximity effect for a solid sound for VO
* difficult to run with ASIO (ASIO wants to see the In and Out
functions, the C01U is an input only device.)
* acoustically noisy (high gain need for best results, but the C01U picks
up a lot of noise due to the cardoid pattern

Aside from the ASIO issues (Samson is working with Steinberg to try and resolve the problem), the C01U/C0 is an overperforming, low priced microphone which is very useful for mobile audio applications.

The C03U - also available. is a multi-patterned USB condenser microphone which features features dual 19mm internal shock-mounted diaphragms with switchable omni, super-cardioid, and figure-8 pickup patterns and is a little more bang for the buck.

Toodles

F2
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had quality issues with the Samson stuff, particularly the USB mics. They just didn't seem to last longer than a year for me (had two of the CO1Us die on me; I now use a micport pro and a different mic instead).

With the amount of people using them now, I am hoping that such issues are rare.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one and it is everything that Frank said. I did have one experience problems after a power surge/outage (along with several other things attached to my computer). It developed a buzz, and the guys at Samson were cool and fixed it at no charge (under warranty). We were never quite sure if the surge caused it or if it would have developed anyway.

No matter about that... I now have a UPS on the whole system -- the mic was plugged into a USB hub, which was powered from the wall, not the UPS that the rest of the system was plugged into. My bad.

Anyway, the issues of being very sensitive to ambient noise are SPOT-on. I have managed to quiet my room down quite a bit because of this, so that's good. I've also experimented quite a bit with how close to get so that I'm giving the mic a good feed without overdriving it (or courting the dreaded popped P and B events). It seems to me that you have a sweet spot of between 6-12 inches in that pattern around the mic for the optimal sound without consequences, however, this depends on your voice, etc. YMMV.

I've noticed NO latency and since I'm recording at the desk most of the time, the cord length isn't an issue.

I use the mic with Soundforge and between that and the onboard media control, I can control it pretty well. That being said, I'm using my Samson C01U mostly for podcast and vodcast aHobo Tounges and not for things that require that fuller, stereo sound. For that, we have our studio and a couple of other mics, preamps, the whole schmear.

It's great for in the field -- travels well (better than the snowball) -- and the USB interface means I can do audio work with a laptop in a quiet room and turn out a serviceable product when I'm on the road.

Bottom line, it's never gonna be one 'o them "newman" mics, but I didn't expect it to be. For the buck and the utility, I like it.
Audiogal
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one as a travel mic for awhile. Surprisingly good sound for the price. I think it works well for female voices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: