VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unique ways to get files to your client faster, maybe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Unique ways to get files to your client faster, maybe Reply with quote

I've been scouring the web for quite some time to find easy ways to send files directly from your computer to your clients without the "middleman" of a server, such as Yousendit. Why send it there only for your client to have to then download it, when you can send it directly?
Here's two ways I've found to do this:
Pipebytes.com
Requires no software, or user accounts, and is totally free. You initiate a file send, send the unique URL to the client, and they begin downloading WHILE you are uploading. My test showed it sent a 22.5MB file in 10 minutes. No, not very fast, but considering the client is RECEIVING the file simultaneously, that's pretty reasonable. It's limited to 384 kbps, which is a bit slower than most DSL modems upload speed, so you can pay a little fee to speed it up if you want.
papaya for Mac Leopard
This one is an application that only runs on Mac OS Leopard computers. The client receiving the file uses a standard web browser, no software or account needed. It's basically a webserver that allows you to take any file on your Mac and send the client a URL that points to the file. It takes a little networking knowhow to set it up, but it is a pretty slick way to send files.

Here's one that I use relatively often because it is so darn easy!
Dockdrop for Mac OS
This one requires you have access to a server where you'd normally upload files with an FTP program like Fetch or with iDisk. It supports FTP, Webdav (which is what iDisk uses), Flickr, and others. What I like about it is that to send a file to someone, all you do is drag it to the dock icon, choose which server you want to use, and when it finishes uploading it places a URL pointing to that file in your clipboard, ready to paste into your email or IM software. It makes iDisk MUCH more useful for sharing files, or any FTP server you have an account with (like your own website). And, it's FREE!
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting (as usual) george.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the idea, but YouSendIt's desktop sending tool couldn't be easier. It's in the dock on my Mac. You can drag files into it or do a quick search and add them. And if you want several audio files to go in a single folder it can automatically create a folder and send it as a zip file. When you engage it it connects to your data at YouSendIt HQ so it remembers your saved recipient info. Three or four clicks and your files are on their way.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: