VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rates on sites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Living Culture
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Rates on sites Reply with quote

I noticed that not many VO artists specify rates on their pages. I understand that you would want to quote for market value of a project rather than length. I was trying to keep things simple by posting basic rates, but I am not sure now. Should I just make all rates "enquire within".
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Are your rates in US dollars?
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure why, jeff, but i find that an odd question, since he is in tiawan. i can see your point if he is going after business in the states, easily communicated and all. but what difference would it make if it were in pounds? or yen? not calling you out - just curious.

Living Culture
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyKafer wrote:
Question: Are your rates in US dollars?

No, I keep them all New Taiwan dollar (NT$). But since I have been receiving some attention from American companies, I may convert them. However I belive I will keep the VO rates to project by project.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you must mention rates, and you'll notice most VO sites don't, I'd just say something like "I offer competitive rates on quality voice work. Please call or email with a description of your project for a quote."

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Ed Gambill
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like this term

"Reasonable and Customary"

Now the trick is to find out what is Customary.

Reasonable is just below the threshold of losing the gig, if the pay is Customary. Smile
Living Culture
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I offer competitive rates on quality voice work

I wish I could, but I have found some ridiculously low priced studios here. (I suspect they have a VO sweatshop in a neighbouring country!)
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need to mention rates at all. No comment necessary, no link, no page, nothing.

On Living Culture's web site the only rates which might be necessary is those with hard costs. Any fees which are consistent MIGHT be posted, but those which are subjective and vary do not need to be posted.

Don't and say you didn't.

Toodles

F2
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
i'm not sure why, jeff, but i find that an odd question,

I couldn't find the "NT" designation in my currency converter. This was before I checked his contact info and found he was in Taiwan.

I don't know why you find it an odd question either, Todd.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then there's that quality issue.
Lips Are Sealed
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it just sorta popped into my head. i think we here in the states often think that the world revolves around us - currency is just one example ... i guess since LC is in taiwan, i just assumed his rates would reflect his local currency. just thinking out loud ... no biggie.

Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I'm based in Japan I've never quoted a Yen rate to any of my overseas clients. It's always been USD no matter where they are located. I've only had two clients pay in Euros.

It's just nice in this PayPal/Ebay world to have a supply of $ to hand.

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good example of why posting rates are not a great idea.

However, the changes made to the site are now better designed to reflect the costs of LC's products and services which are not subjective.

I did find it interesting to convert to the USD to compare with local rates. Some where higher, some were lower (i.e.: translation is usually based upon page and word count not per minute of audio - this makes an assumption and assumptions are not good).

By not suggesting prices of any specific item or service - not even the hint of a price, no comment about being reasonable, no suggestion they call or email for rates, nothing - potential clients and customers will have to use the contact information if they are interested in the services and products offered.

Determining what action is desired from potential customers and clients is a good part the design of any web site. What the webmaster wants web surfers to do while viewing and after viewing the web site is important. Too much information is almost as bad as too little information on the web.

Toodles

F2
davidmonteath
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:

By not suggesting prices of any specific item or service - not even the hint of a price, no comment about being reasonable, no suggestion they call or email for rates, nothing - potential clients and customers will have to use the contact information if they are interested in the services and products offered.

Determining what action is desired from potential customers and clients is a good part the design of any web site. What the webmaster wants web surfers to do while viewing and after viewing the web site is important. Too much information is almost as bad as too little information on the web.F2

Absolutely spot on, IMO.

Sponsor of Voice APpreciation Indulgence Day 2010

Proud member of Self Appointed Voice-Over Experts Discussion Group - overenthusiastic pontification a speciality.
Living Culture
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I couldn't find the "NT" designation in my currency converter

Thats strange. What convertor are you using? NT$ is the standard way it appears in mine.

Quote:
i think we here in the states often think that the world revolves around us

This is an attitude I do see a lot. Actually, a few of my American friends here say they came to escape that mentality.

Quote:
I did find it interesting to convert to the USD to compare with local rates. Some where higher, some were lower (i.e.: translation is usually based upon page and word count not per minute of audio - this makes an assumption and assumptions are not good).

Not all the prices reflect standard pricing here. I kept some at industry standard and some I made a lot less as I am interested in having the business grow first.
Actually the word count appears as a standard way of pricing in the VO sections too. I decided against that though.
Assumptions....mmm...this is generally the way of doing things in a land where it is impossible to get a straight answer.

Quote:

I think by them having to make contact is a good way, as then you already have their contact information to make follow up enquiries with. I think I was following my personal likes-I really hate going to a shop or website and having to ask for prices for things, I prefer a simple -go in-see what i want-decide if i want to pay price...path. But..this is probably not best method for marketing (or creating possible client databases)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: