VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

record incoming (or outgoing...) cell phone call

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: record incoming (or outgoing...) cell phone call Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to record a cell phone call? I tried by attaching a male/male sub-mini cord from the earphone outlet of my cell phone into an unbalanced input on my Digi002. It does record the caller, however, by plugging this cord into the earphone outlet it cuts off the external microphone on the cell phone so - while I can record the caller, the caller no longer can hear me. Why the whole exercise? I was trying to record an interview using my cell phone because I don't have a land line in my studio.

Best,

Bernard
Gp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio Shack has a couple of little devices that will do that for you. They are inexpensive too.
schaer
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gp, do you know what those devices might be? I just got back from Radio Shack. They had no clue.....

Bernard
Gp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a device to record telephone conversations. It's a small battery operated black box. It has an input and an output and a switch on the side to turn it off and on. I'm headed out to lunch...I'll stop by a Radio Shack and get you a part number or name.
Gp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try taking a look at this. It has a mini plug that will fit into the headphone jack of your cell phone. http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F008%5F012%5F001&Page=1

There are also a few others on the site that might work for you.

Gp
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're looking for a unit made especially for broadcast. It's called the CellJack.

http://www.conex-electro.com/
Art

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Recording Cell Phone Reply with quote

I've never seen exactly the device you need, but I'll bet you could build one.

Get a stereo micro plug, to plug into the phone.

Get a stereo micro jack, to plug a phone headset into. Solder three wires from plug to jack, so you've just made an extension cord.

Then, solder another wire, with ground wire and the lead that feeds the headphone speaker, to a mono mini plug (or 1/4 inch or whatever fits the input of your recorder).

This should have no effect on the headset microphone; you'll still be able to talk to them. You might consider putting a switch in that line. Your talking shouldn't get directly recorded, but any feedback of your voice that the phone puts into the headphone will be. It may work fine for recording both sides of the conversations, and it may not. If you need really clean audio from them and you're in a noisy environment, you may need to be able to mute the mic.

The speaker in your headset probably has an impedance somewhere between 16 and 200 ohms. The input to your recorder is probably more like 10k. That means the recorder patch cord should have virtually no effect on the circuit.

The output will be low speaker level, so you'll need to go to a LINE input. If you have to use a mic input, make your patch cord out of a Radio Shack line-to-mic attenuator cord.
schaer
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. Today I found this little thingie: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=277601. The price is right and it seems that this will work.

Bernard
Latech70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schaer wrote:
Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. Today I found this little thingie: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=277601. The price is right and it seems that this will work.

Bernard

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=277601 Let's see if that link works now that the period is not attached to the end of it. :wink:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: