VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picture tips needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Picture tips needed Reply with quote

Hola!

There seems to be a small need for me to have a headshot and pictures, so I'm going to get them done. I don't plan to get into any modeling... don't worry. This is simply so that when necessary, people can put a face to the name (b/c I'm a stickler about using my logo).

Last week when being photographed, I learned one or two things from Randy Thomas and Kara Edwards... like don't put your leg out to the side, but rather, put it in front of you (I think). Oh, and I realized I shouldn't wear one of those empire-waist type tops that look like maternity wear.

Any other tips about stance/posing/what to wear, or can you direct me to an online resource where I can read some tips? I realize that much of this is likely learned by doing and not reading, but maybe I can glean a little info from reading.

I get to bring four outfits to the shoot, so any suggestions there are welcome as well.

Thanks!!!! Caryn

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave

Last edited by CarynClark on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn,

I haven't had a headshot done since I lived in Chicago in the 80s, but my observation is that if you work with a good photographer, he or she will be able to direct you both in terms of what to wear/bring to wear as well as in how to stand, sit, etc.

Pam, Kara, and Amy have all had headshots done in the last year. I'm sure they can offer some better advice.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to keep laughing during the shoot. Not hard laughter....just light laughing they're snapping. It helps to create a more authentic smile and it gets your eyes involved in the sparkle of your personality. A standard smile will be just that.....a smile. A laugh exudes your personality and can be more inviting.

The eyes are the window to the soul....so you want to show that you are relaxed, confident and most important....fun to work with. I have worked with you so I know all of the above it true because you are truly awesome....but pictures can be a tricky thing.

DB had a good tip for me a few years back. She said don't tip my head down. It is so true. You can look more aggressive when you do this. A great photog will tell you this though. It is worth the money for a great photographer. Anything less and you'll want to do another shoot in 6 months after you stew on the pictures for a while.[/u]

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
paddyo
CM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn,

I'm assuming your doing headshots so you and your photographer should work out in advance what not to wear and what outfits will look good. Some photographers supply a makeup artist and some people would rather do their own.
Assuming you've sat down with your photographer and you are already comfortable with them, they will be able to direct you.
Remember, and I was told this by a casting director, you could take 500 shots, all you need is the one money shot. Judging by the VOICE 2008 photos, you will not have to worry about just one.
I have a book at home. Let me find the title but it devotes a chapter on headshots. I'll pm you.
Just be yourself. If you have any questions, give me call. Hope this helps. But if you've already spoken with Randy & Kara. you are already in great hands.

Paddyo
www.thepatrickoconnor.com
dMichaelb
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Caryn,

All good advice coming in! Having a referred photographer you are comfortable with is THE key.

I'm sure you've taken this into account, but it's worth considering where you'll be using them. If it's "anywhere and everywhere" read no further. But, if it's for a paticular market (i.e., NY, LA, etc.) and your photographer is local, you might Google the websites of headshot photographers in those cities to see what's "in." (For example NY is currently big on outdoor and naturally lit shots.) Again, not a big deal, but casting people and agencies in major centers get hundreds a days and those "outside expectations" can be sorted out even quicker than the rest.

If it helps, I've never known an actor (regardless of fame) who doesn't dread headshots -- yet each manages to get good shots.

Enjoy getting yours!

D. Michael Berkowitz
800/965-9672

"... in this life you can either be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
Well, I was smart for a long time. I prefer pleasant. You may quote me."

- Mary Chase ("Harvey")
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!

There's a photographer here in town (www.nautilusphotographic.com) who did my friend's photos for her album cover, and they are absolutely gorgeous (the site may not be indicative of what I saw from her shots). Granted, this could be b/c my friend photographs well. It is Fort Myers, FL - you get what you get. I have a friend who is a photographer here as well (www.michelletricca.com), and she does A LOT of magazine photography around the world... but that's a different style, I think. But, I'll give her a call. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. Sometimes the obvious is right in front of your face.

I don't plan on shopping these around to agencies... this is really just for when I have press releases, etc. that might require a pic for the article... things like that. But, I don't want to look like an ars either, or like I went to Glamour Shots.

The photog did say to keep my outfits simple - plain tops, bring jewelry that shows my personality, etc.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your comments thus far! Caryn

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
RD Levine
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun be yourself forget about the camera. As has been said laff think about funny things. (See Bobbin's lobby picture of me on yoda's lap) Get a good makeup artist that knows makeup for headshots. Go along with photographers direction they look good when you look good. As per the outfits from what I saw at VOICE you have good taste, wear what is you. Fell good about each outfit as if it was the only one don't second guess your self durring the shoot look at the pictures after. I have done sets and we have taken a few hundred pic and we can get that one money picture on the first one and sometimes on the last one. Oh ya remember one more for safety Bottom line is have fun be you and it will all be good
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some ideas:

sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com

Last edited by Diane Maggipinto on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
RD Levine
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are just so wrong in so many ways
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Mag, I love you even more now...

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane,

You are a funny, funny woman. Laugh
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... for a LONG time, I resembled the one third from the bottom. Until my roomies from Miami told me to wake up and get with the 90s. An eye-opening day, to be sure.

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a hair model for Vidal Sassoon in Beverly Hills when that 2nd-from-the-top-hairdo was introduced.

"High Hair".

They'd use a dentist-style chair so they could raise it, drop your head down and roll the perm rods UP.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caryn, did you ever live in west valley city, utah? that hairstyle lives ON! wearers are affectionately called west valley cupcakes.

{{{ shudder }}}

it nearly goes without saying that the beehive never went out of style here, either.

{{{ shudder II }}}
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It too lives on where I'm from - Sebring FL. Scarey... but true in some cases.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: