VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tway12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Website questions Reply with quote

:roll: First, glad to see the forum back. Got worried for a minute...anyway, what advice do any of you have on domain names? I've got a pretty catchy idea for my website, but I notice many of you simply have (your-name.com) Is it better to do it this way to keep your name in front of potential clients? I'd appreicate any feedback. Thanks.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're selling your voice and that means your name so "yourname.com" is the best approach. Having said that, if you have an idea for a website name that pinpoints your particular market it may be worth registering that too.

As I do a great deal of work for corporate videos i have just set up a website with a corporate voice demo on it called www.thecorporatevoice.com
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best domain names incorporate in one way or another what your business is - whether it's "vo", "v-o", "voiceover", "voice", etc.
Yes, your name is important, but just as important (if not more important), is placing the name of your "service" in the domain name.

Simply "yourname.com" won't cut it. Unless you're Coca-Cola or Pepsi, you'd be better served to include some indication of what you do in the actual domain name itself.

-Anthony
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Jeff McNeal on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
ReyAnthony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As cheap as domain names are, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get both and point them to the same place, to serve both purposes.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I have done. I call my site Sounds Great, but elainesinger.com points there.
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several domains all pointing to the same site. I agree with Banksey and the other fine folk. If it's about promoting yourself, then a domain of 'your name' plus 'your name voiceovers' makes good business sense. If you come up with a great domain name idea, then add it to the mix.
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the majority here that "yourname.com" is the way to go as the primary name. But, as has already been said, domains are cheap and it's worth spending some time trying to come up with some catchy alternatives that might attract attention or are easy to remember. All of these can easily be pointed to your site.

Maiku

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff McNeal wrote:
I'm going to respectfully disagree with Anthony. yourname.com is the preferred method in major markets when agents, producers and clients want to be able to find your site quickly and easily. They already know what you do. As far as search engines finding you, the name of your site has very little to do with it. It's all about the content on your page(s), the number of hits your site gets, Meta tags and other factors. So I guess what I'm saying is, if you think you might be getting some play in the majors, or would like to, yourname.com will be just fine.

Thanks, Jeff.
I'm very familiar with content, meta tags, and external links having an impact on your ranking, but I didn't know that the domain name had none.
In any case, maybe I just like the ability to advertise just my web address... but then again, VO doesn't mean anything to alot of people.

It is true that having several different parked domains (pointers) is a good idea as well.

-Anthony
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Jeff McNeal on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um Jeff... I hate to correct you... but it's actually #1 out of about 30,000,000, you were off by about..... ah.... um ..... 14 ..... + 1 ..... x 5000000 ......./ 5 .... ah heck who cares about the math!!! ... it's impressive how highly ranked the site is

How do you get ranked so high?? I'm jealous! Do you do your own coding and writing of the body text?
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Jeff McNeal on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:54 am; edited 2 times in total
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't fault any of the logic offered here regarding the "name game"
for domains.

in defense of my own decision to settle on voices2go.com, it was simply a matter of realizing even my own close friends don't always remember how to correctly spell my unusual first/last name. i figured i had no chance at all of a stranger getting it right.

(rowell gormon)
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Domain Names Reply with quote

I just logged in to GoDaddy... I have 32 domain names registered in my account... how did that happen?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same way I have 18 pairs of shoes and 9 pairs of boots in my closet, perhaps?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: