VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Product names in demo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBeen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Product names in demo Reply with quote

I am currently working on a script for my commercial demo. What I am wondering is if it is okay to use actual product names in the demo? Is it misrepresentation since I have not actually done these demos? Should I change the name to something close but similar or leave out the names altogether? The ads have all been transcribed from magazines or newspapers. Thanks in advance.
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Product names in demo Reply with quote

crispybud wrote:
I am currently working on a script for my commercial demo. What I am wondering is if it is okay to use actual product names in the demo? Is it misrepresentation since I have not actually done these demos? Should I change the name to something close but similar or leave out the names altogether? The ads have all been transcribed from magazines or newspapers. Thanks in advance.

Whenever I'm producing a demo for someone else I always recommend that they don't use actual product names. It certainly can be taken as misrepresentation and there's no reason why you should take such a risk with your reputation. Simply substitue a made up name in your copy, but don't make it obviously similar (BNW for BMW for example) because that can distract attention from the voice, although the name should be fairly typical of the industry it belongs to. The listener shouldn't have to think too much, or indeed at all, when listening.

Transcribing print ads is a good way to get copy, but remember that print ads work in a very different way to radio. Make sure that the ad does not use a visual clue to make sense of the copy. If you take the visual away the copy might become vague or confusing which can only distract from the primary element of your demo; your voice.

Just my 2¥

Mike.
BBeen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: ooops Reply with quote

I meant to say I got my copy from magazines and television, not newspapers..classic case of my brain thinking too fast again. Thanks for the tip... I figured I better change the names...to protect the innocent..mainly me.

Bud
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got into voiceovers I wrote my own copy for commercials, produced them (Music Bakery $59 buyout music) and loaded them as samples. In about a month I had done enough work to substitute the ones I had written with the real thing. I was lucky enough to have done work for a local Cable production company that was doing regional commercials for several cities outside of my market.

You might consider asking a copywriter at a local radio station or broadcast student at a university, etc. You could actually do it yourself! You don't need a whole script. Just something to draw attention to your different delivery styles. Best to you in this. You'll do great.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use "real" copy whether I've done the spot for real or not. You certainly won't get into legal trouble using stuff like this for a demo. It's not for broadcast, and you're not publishing it. You can even use copyrighted music FOR A DEMO.

If it's not broadcast, anything goes. I got that word from Todd Rundgren's publisher.

addendum: This is why we can't keep a copy database online. Putting scripts on the net is technically "publishing" and all this commercial stuff is copyrighted.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put the demo on your website, I suppose that would be "publication" or broadcasting, wouldn't it? I never thought of changing the names, and wouldn't do it, myself. I would think that would "broadcast" the fact that none of the spots is real and would say "beginner" in a loud voice. Not the message I want to start with.

I would think the little bit of free extra advertising wouldn't upset anybody...

Mary
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting a recorded demo on the web is different from posting printed material. The copyright on the printed material covers its appearance IN PRINT, and that includes on the web.

With demos: I recorded it-- it's my recording, I'm not selling it.

I'm not using the music to make money, I'm not selling anything specific with it. It's an example.
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that "faked" spots are rather common and as Deirdre said, as long as they are not actually broadcast there is no problem according to several instructors I have worked with. If you feel the demos on this site could be a problem if left there for an unlimited time, maybe you could password-protect them, Deidre?

Best,

Bernard
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the demos here or on our own website are a problem, Bernard.

And I am fairly obsessive about removing demos-for-critique from the vo-bb server.

Thanks, though!
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
It's not for broadcast, and you're not publishing it. You can even use copyrighted music FOR A DEMO.

A lot of people believe this, but as far as I know it's not true. The rule is more like "not for anything other than personal, non profit use.

Quote:
I'm not using the music to make money, I'm not selling anything specific with it.

Yes you are! you're selling your services. A voice demo is a professional device we use to generate income for our business.

Freeplay Music (www.freeplaymusic.com/) allows free use of their music library for personal, non profit use. Voice demos are specifically excluded for the reasons given above.

Of course, nobody is likely to to be chased down by an army of lawyers for using music in their demo. But, would we be so happy for others to use our work extensively in their production without our permission?

M
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine that as a musician, I would not be happy about people using my music on a VO demo without permission/credit. And this discussion is a very interesting and useful one. But back to the original subject of this thread, namely the use of a product name in a VO demo, if somebody named my product in a demo I'd be thrilled, and I think using product names is preferable to leaving them out (except in one case, where I discovered after I made my demo that I had misread the company name and thus mispronounced it. I had the sound engineer remove the company name asap! :oops: )
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, my dear.

I contacted Todd Rundgren specifically about using his music in a demo for a radio program pilot. His publisher said, "As long as it's not broadcast, anything goes."

I don't use popular music as background for my commercial demo stuff for the same reason I don't use bogus copy. It's going to sound contrived.

I use material from auditions and real spots all the time.
BBeen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Demo spots Reply with quote

Boy did I open a can of worms with this one or what? I have decided to use the real product names in my demo. My script is actually a compilation of snippets from different things that I believe suit my style. As far as music goes... I got lucky my producer has acting, directing , production experience, and is an accomplished musician. We are in the process of developing a friendship as well as business relationship which allows a lot of good communication from a talent-producer point of view. Nope no copyright music here..all original stuff. By the way DB I love this board, you guys are the best. Freindly, informative, non-judgemental, and honest. Everybody on this board ROCKS!!! How can I put my picture by my name???

Bud
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Mike, my dear.

I contacted Todd Rundgren specifically about using his music in a demo for a radio program pilot. His publisher said, "As long as it's not broadcast, anything goes."

But was that in relation to Todd Rundgrens work or a comment on using music in general? I think it's a legal grey area and would opt to be cautious. Royalty free music is relatively cheap and safe.

Going back to the original thread. My comments about not using company names comes from my experiences here in Japan. I was advised by an agent that some clients don't like the misrepresentation that comes from using a well known brand name when the voice hasn't actually done anything for that company. When it comes to how things work in the States I defer completely to you guys! Smile
Gp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it varies from company to company. Monster Cable Co., for instance, is rumored to be going after everyone using the word monster in any promotional or marketing sense. Including a sponsered childrens event. So here is another way to get around it if you really want to be legal.

Write the company, ask for permission to use their name on a demo. Have them send the permission back to you all nice and legal on company letter head.

I used to run a news letter and we would often have to do this to make references or reprint articles. I'm not absolutely positive this would work....but I'd imagine express, written permission would probably make it ok.

But frankly, most companies are not going to even know much less care about a demo on a website.....now if that website were getting a million hits a week that might be a different story.

Like most of this stuff, common sense plays a big part. A good rule of thumb...if you feel uncomfortable about using....don't!

Gp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: