VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings from a new member
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Greetings from a new member Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post to this forum. I look to exploring the various postings. I've been in voice overs in one form or another for nearly three decades. I'm looking forward to contributing what I know and learning from others.

Cheers,

Jeff
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have you aboard.

Thanks for joining the party!
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome, Deirdre! It looks like you have a bunch of good folks populating this board. I'm looking forward to participating.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff !
I thought your name sounded "somewhat" familiar. After "googling" your name, I see you hit all the hot spots in San diego. You even did some time at KFMB AM and FM. Did you hear that Tracy johnson is looking for a Morning show replacement on the FM side? 1 mil per year, for a 4 year contract.
Hope to see more of you on the Forum. Smile
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bailey,

Thanks for the welcome! And no, I have absolutely no interest in ever returning to morning radio. I retired permanently from radio in 1997 and just do VO exclusively now, and frankly, I enjoy working from home far too much to ever go back. I'm too far removed from that industry to even consider going back -- even if a station wanted me -- which at this juncture, would be an extremely unlikely proposition. Besides, that isn't enough money, ha ha. I never did work at KFMB FM, by the way. Just the AM for a brief time. I left for personal reasons just about the time Tracy Johnson was coming on board, before he got Paul Palmer tossed. If you're interested, I have my entire radio biography online with some fun anecdotes about all the stations I worked at between 1978 and 1997.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Hi Jeff Reply with quote

I'd love to see your bio page and the inside scoop on old KFMB. I have been in the San Diego area since 1980 (when I left radio after 13 yrs). I too am a recovering radio personality. There have been a lot of strange goings on at the KFMB sations in the last decade. I hear there is a group of former KFMB'ers that meet for coffee and discuss the old days.

Glad you joined the board.

Greg
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Greg,

I provide an unvarnished look at my years in radio, so please understand that in discussing my past life in broadcasting, I can be pretty blunt. For what it's worth, I try to tell it like it really was, from my perspective, naturally. I almost wish I hadn't brought this up. If enough people read about my checkered past, I'll probably be asked to leave this forum. :shock: In the meantime, I'll be holding my breath and walking on eggshells... Hope you enjoy the read.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: WOW, Jeff, we both worked a lot of stations! Reply with quote

Some days I think of the WKRP theme song about up and down the dial from town-to-town across the country. How true it was. It seemd like when you made friends it was time to move on to a strange new city. Some days I miss radio and then I remember how fickle the busines is. Boy, has the biz changed with voice-tracking and the huge conglomerates calling the shots. I'll stick to VO.

Greg
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still do broadcast stuff every day, but I'm just an adjunct--a traffic reporter. It's OK when I get to schtick it up with the DJ, but I wouldn't go back to being a DJ myself unless the money was insanely great.

I wouldn't be doing the traffic thing at all except that it keeps me eligible for health insurance and pays for the ISDN line.

I swear, it's the easiest money I've ever made-- but I really don't like doing it.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jeff. Although it's a pretty long bio, I seriously doubt it's any more checkered than the rest of us! I loved the pics of the "state of the art" production suite, times have certainly changed... a lot.

Kevin
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

Yes, it's very comprehensive story of my time in radio. But if you want a very concise version, I've got that too, which would definitely be better for anyone casually curious about who I am, but not THAT interested in my life story! Sorry 'bout that!
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you tell me ... after I read the whole thing!

However, I grew up in Venice, CA and enjoyed seeing the names of the personalities and stations I listened to as a youngster.

Welcome aboard!

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Radio Days Reply with quote

Jeff McNeal wrote:
I never did work at KFMB FM, by the way. Just the AM for a brief time. I left for personal reasons just about the time Tracy Johnson was coming on board, before he got Paul Palmer tossed.

While I never worked for the radio side of KFMB as a jock (AM or FM), back in the late 70's early 80's they had a great creative production department. I was on the TV side as the live station announcer two days a week, doing lots of TV spots (with Ralph Hodges) and popping over to the radio side to do lots of radio spots.

Mark Larson, now doing conservative talk radio on KOGO, and I did tons of two voicers (even garnering a few CLIO noms). Then KFMB fired the creative department and the account reps started writing the spots on cocktail napkins during lunch. Now, nothing wrong with using whatever paper is available when the muse strikes, but ...

Connie
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting musings about KFMB. I was there only for a short time, but I remember distinctly feeling that everyone who had been there for years or decades didn't really understand what a bubble they were working in, and that things weren't always going to be so utopian. The fact that it was such a stable environment for so many, for so many years, was a real rarity in radio. At least for that market size. I was doing fill-in for Mark Larson and thought he was a very decent guy. In fact, I liked everyone I worked with over there. All very good people. I enjoyed poking fun at Paul Palmer (then GM) on the air and not having to worry about negative repercussions. I would have enjoyed staying longer, had fate not intervened with the personal matter that I had to deal with.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another KFMB alumnus here, but from before your time. I was there from '74 until the middle of '76 doing graveyard and overnights as Charlie Rider. Talk about a utopian bubble. Bobby Rich was the program Manager of our personality-driven pop-adult music AM side (FM was taped dinner music then) but not really the Hobo Laughing. We just all chipped in and made it happen. Bobby came up with promos and made sure every time slot was filled, Clark Anthony chose the music, I ran the contests and events, Hudson and Bauer did mornings and Marconi's old buddy Perry Allen was stirring up afternoons.

We were consistently #1 or 2 in 25 to 54. "The Mighty Kuff-mubb" was my fondest memory out of the dozen stations I worked. Then one day Bobby started up B-100 on the FM, and management felt we should have a traditional program director. They brought in Scott Burton, who had badly damaged KMOX in St. Louis, took KFMB and put the staff and ratings into a severe dive, and ended up doing the same thing to KTAR news/talk in Phoenix several years later. But that's a topic for "war stories day".

Anyway, it brought back fond memories to hear about "One of America's Three Great Radio Stations, 76 KFMB".

Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: