VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Late, Great, Billy Moore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: The Late, Great, Billy Moore Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen, Billy Moore has left the building.........

This was in my e-mail in-box, this morning, care of "steeleman" and Mr. Ed Weigle.

"Just wanted you all to know that one of America's greatest voiceover talents has fallen silent. Billy Moore, who ran Billy Moore Productions (http://www.billymoore.com/index.shtml ) and graced many a commercial, narration and radio station liner package, died at his home last night (8/4) at age 63. Billy was the first voice talent at Tour Design--the Indianpolis-based concert and live event tour production house. Nick Sommers replaced Billy at Tour Design; I, in turn replaced Nick. We were honored to have Billy as a member of the Nick Sommers Productions family. He was truly one of the good guys.

Be well!

Ed Weigle
Nick Sommers Productions
2828 South McCall Rd., Suite 13D
Englewood, FL 34224
941-473-8525
941-460-0011 Fax
Mobile: 941-468-0250
www.nicksommers.com
ed@nicksommers.com
"
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great voice, great loss.
Requiescat in Pace
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the full obit. I had no idea he was once part of the great "Boss Radio."

Billy Moore / August 12, 1942 - August 4, 2005

Billy, originally from Chattanooga, Tenn, moved around to find "his sound" and worked in New Orleans (WTIX), Jacksonville (WHobo LaughingQ), Omaha (KOIL) and on to California to get into acting. It was then that his voice was discovered when he started doing station promo's for KMEN. He then hooked up with KKDJ, now KIIS-FM in LA in 1972. Billy's voice became part of the "Boss Radio" format engineered by consultants Drake-Chanault. He did several theater roles and attended the Lee Strasberg Theater Institute in Hollywood and was active in the Glendale Centre Theater. But radio took its bite. On the air at KRTH as Production Director in 1972-73, KGIL 1974-75, fill-in at KIQQ in 1974, Morning Drive at KUTE 1975-1976. then in 1979, Billy left the Southland and on to 63KIDD in Monterey as OM & morning man.

Billy moved back to Chattanooga to be with family in the mid-seventies, but the voice bug had bitten him and he knew he had to be in or near a big city. On to Chicago in 1981 to work for an ad agency as a copywriter and ad campaign manager. Indianapolis then called. Billy became "The Voice" for Sunshine Promotions, later to be known as TourDesign, a concert promotion company in Indianapolis for many years. Add to his resume, Production Director at WIBC-AM and station imaging voice for WZPL-FM (Indy), Kat Country 103 (Modesto-Stockton), KUBL-93 (Salt Lake City) and most currently at The Big 98 WSIX (Nashville) plus many others including TV.

Billy settled in Zionsville in the 80's outside of Indianapolis and continued to image stations, provide narrations for Fortune 1000 companies and his Moore-On-Hold automated telephone voice prompts ranged from coast to coast. He moved to Florida in April 2000. Billy Moore's health had been deteriorating for some time and he had also contracted pneumonia in his last month. He was cared for by his former wife Cornelia Rose Moore (Keka) until his passing. Arrangements are forthcoming and info may be found as it becomes available on his website, billymoore.com

Billy Moore, "The Voice" , a unique professional behind the mic and a sweet man on the other side to all his friends he met along the way. He will be sorely missed.

Two LARP Die This Weekend
(August 8, 2005) Billy Moore (pictured and known to some as B. Harold Moore), morning man at KKDJ in 1972 and veteran of KRTH, KGIL, KIQQ and KUTE during the 1970s, died last Thursday, according to Jeff McNeal. "He was my mentor and one of my closest friends. Billy was living in Florida and died of pneumonia after fighting a lengthy illness."

"Billy was the first pd who ever hired me, at KIDD in Monterey in 1978.His production skills were remarkable, but no more remarkable than his own talent, and his willingness to share that talent and pass on all he knew to his crew of new air personalities in the making," emailed Jeff."When we first met, Billy had already done mornings at KKDJ and was the current voice of Drake/Chenault, doing VO work all over the world, including Japan, where he recorded announcements phonetically.A lot of talent has been described as having 'the voice of God,' but Billy truly embodied that quality.I'll never forget the sensation of practically feeling a puff of air coming off the monitor speaker in the production room from the trailing vibration of the letter 'D' when Billy voiced promos for 63 KIDD. He had an amazing voice, and right up to the end, was the image voice for many radio stations across the country."

Jeff concluded: "Billy and I lost touch for about 11 years after I left KIDD, but we rekindled a warm and very close friendship via phone, fax, and email as technology has progressed over the last couple of decades.? I last heard from Billy about ten days ago, when he expressed that his doctors had given him six months to a year to live. Looks like they were off by six months to a year. Billy is survived by his grown son, Jason."

Born in 1942 in Chattanooga, Billy came to the Southland to work morning drive at Rocker KKDJ from Don Burden's KOIL-Omaha where he was Bobby Noonan. Under KKDJ pd Bill Combs, Billy produced, wrote and voiced a "British Are Coming" promotion. "I never forget my promo line - 'get IN the way. The British are coming to KKDJ,'" remembered Billy when interviewed for the Los Angeles Radio People books.

Billy was the production director at KRTH and spent five years as the in-house voice for Drake-Chenault syndication on their AC, Rock and Oldies formats. He did some fill-in at KIQQ and worked morning drive at "KUTE 102." During his time n L.A., he attended the Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute in Hollywood and was active at the Glendale Centre Theatre. In 1979, Billy left the Southland and went to KIDD. He talked about that period in his life: "Now that was a job - operations manager, morning man and prerecording my show for my Monday morning plane trip to L.A. to cut tracks for Drake/Chenault, returning that evening for my duties and the next morning's show at "63KIDD."

In 1981 he headed to Chicago as the ad campaign manager and copywriter for a local agency and then moved to Zionsville, Indiana. He built an in-home studio where he performed his voiceover work, station imaging liners and promos for radio and tv stations, as well as Moore On Hold, an on-hold message service for business telephone systems.
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see that news of Billy was posted here. He was my first Hobo Laughing in radio 27 years ago and a close friend who I still miss intensely. His ashes were scattered by his business manager and other close friends in Florida just a few days before Katrina hit. Samples of Billy's work over the years are available on his website, www.BillyMoore.com which a group of us have decided to keep going as a memorial to our friend for years to come. There is also a discussion forum for those who knew Billy and were touched by his passing. Billy was a unique character, a gentle, kind man and an incredible talent.
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy was the image voice for WZZK FM, when I first came to work here as Creative Service Director in late '99. And even though I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, our time spent over the phone during sessions, and exchanging e-mails produced some very fond memories. The only things that surpassed his professionalism were his personable nature and his sense of humor. And, for a die-hard, radio geek like me, it was nothing short of Nirvana for me to talk with a guy who was once part of the legendary "Boss Radio." I feel honored to have made his acquaintance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: