VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On-hold Messages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: On-hold Messages Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how audio is loaded into a system for something like an on-hold or voicemail message?

The only time I witnessed this being done, the guy was actually speaking directly into a telephone handset....I can't imagine that this is the only way.

??

Thanks
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one time I did it, I put it on a CD and the company loaded it in their own machine. I suspect there are lots of answering machine makes and models, all with their own methods.

That'd be a hoot, wouldn't it? Make a living going door to door doing answer machine messages. Wait. I already do. I have two 80 year old next door neighbors and when the power goes out they have me come over and record the message on their machine. Then, they go to the back and give me a box of Little Debbie's Chocolate Roll ups w/ vanilla filling. <g> I love the barter system. Everyone wins! Yes, I claim that $.95 as income.
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Answering Machines Reply with quote

There are 3 ways that I can think of off hand...

1. Send the client an MP3 and they import it into their system... some businesses use the VM built into their computer.

2. Put it on CD, most of the on-hold systems these days are using looped CD's.

3. Put it on Cassette. 2 of the health care facilities that I do on-hold for requires cassettes. In a way, they are a pain. The only thing I ever use the deck for these days. They put the cassette into the machine, it rewinds automatically, starts playing automatically, and records the message (4 minutes max or more depending on chip) onto an Eprom/chip. Then when the caller gets put on hold, it plays instantly and loops forever.

Justin
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: On-hold Messages Reply with quote

Mick wrote:
Can anyone tell me how audio is loaded into a system for something like an on-hold or voicemail message?

I recently did the localisation work on a phone system being imported to Japan from the States. That monster had over 1,000 seperate recordings to go into the system. I had to supply 8bit WAV files at 11.25Khz. The company then had their own software that converted those files into the proprietary format used for the system.

M.
Mick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of help guys...thanks!

Mick
Joe Whistler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: On-hold Messages Reply with quote

Mike...

Sounds like you would have needed a robust database program to keep track of all those recordings!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every prompt or recorded bit has a unique name/number.

I did a ground-up IVR for the power companies of New England a couple of years ago and there were close a thousand sound files. If you keep each segment of recordings in a separate folder, it's easier to make sure you've done everything.

Deebs
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Voice Prompt Estimating Reply with quote

Think about the entire process when estimating costs to do voice prompts. The saving (with the client specified unique file name) and the organizing is the most time consuming part of the process. But if there are lots of files, you also have to consider the content and how bad the punctuation will be and how many questions you will have on the basic pronunciations (people's names, addresses and cities for example - takes a while to wrap your mouth around some names and who the heck knows how to pronounce street and city names in other parts of the country).

I have a new client who sends me large quantities of files every month for a nationwide IVR system and their file names are SOOO obscure (well not really now that I've done a couple thousand of them) and complicated. It involves cutting and pasting from their Excel script to my Audition - you just sort of go into a "zone" and get it done.

Hugs,

Connie T.

www.voiceover-talent.com

ps - May the New Year start out bright!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: