VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dave"]
Bailey wrote:
Dave,

... It didn't always behave this way and no other programs are running in the background to suck up ram.

Arrrrghhhhh!

Note: If you start the machine in the normal mode, hit Ctl-Alt-Del. That should launch the Windows Task Manager. Select "Applications" tab and see what's running. You can also look at "Processes" to see what's chewing up your CPU resources. You can also see Memory Usage. Performance will give you a graphic display of CPU usage.

If you launch an application, you see where resources are being consumed.

You can repleat the eye-ball of what's happening internally by starting your machine in the "Safe" mode. Only essential drivers are loaded.
OK. Next step: Try starting the machine in "safe" mode.
Reboot your machne and hold the F8 key. See if it goes faster, both on the initial load or loading of selected applications.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gee my Avid box has 512 of ram and just zips right along, guess I'm just lucky, but then I'm the kinda guy who uses one aHobo Tounge at a time.
John M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSConfig is mostly meant for diagnostics. You're really not supposed to just turn things off and run your computer that way, but it can give you a good idea of which programs may be causing your issue. Adaware and Spybot are good, but they don't get everything. I've literally got a CD with about 20 different programs and utilities on it for spyware removal. McAfee is a pig. That program alone will bog the computer down considerably. 512MB of RAM should be enough RAM with XP but depending on your aHobo Tounges, more is always better.

You can try a drive defrag and see if that helps, but XP doesn't really need to be defragged as much as 98 and ME do.

If you want to download a program called HijackThis and post the log I'll see if there's anything listed that shouldn't be there.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Memory on sale Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've tried about everything to get the peecee running a little faster...thanks for all the suggestions...unfortunately with little success.

However,

The only thing I have'nt done yet is add RAM...until today that is. I just got back from Best Buy and they have a great deal! 512 megs on sale for 59.00 PLUS a $30 rebate. (this is for pc2700). If thats the kind your puter uses now is the time to get it cause the sale ends this weekend. If you don't have a Best Buy in your neck of the woods...just go online where you will find the same offer.... www.bestbuy.com.

Soon as I get mine installed I'll report back.

Dave
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Adding RAM Reply with quote

Well folks,

I've tried everything...lastly...an upgrade to a full GIG of RAM and my 18 month old DELL P4 machine is still bogging down for no apparent reason. Even something as simple as running Picasa for a picture slide show or listening to music with iTunes stalls after a few minutes of play.

PeeCees just dont like me :cry:
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Have you defragged the hard disk yet? Excessive fragmentation or pending hard disk failure will cause what you have described. www.diskeeper.com has a defrag tool you should download and run, it works better than the built-in defrag tool from Microsoft and it's free for 15 days so you can try it out, get things going, then uninstall. Be sure to backup QB first!

Kevin
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
Dave,

Have you defragged the hard disk yet? Excessive fragmentation or pending hard disk failure will cause what you have described. www.diskeeper.com has a defrag tool you should download and run, it works better than the built-in defrag tool from Microsoft and it's free for 15 days so you can try it out, get things going, then uninstall. Be sure to backup QB first!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin!

I got diskeeper and ran it. According to the analysis...my puter was in a "critical" stage of defragmentation. I thought this might be the case all along but was counting on the onboard MS Windows defrag program (used multiple times) which obviously didn't get the job done :shock:

Now, I'll see if things improve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: