VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Computer question Reply with quote

Ok, first of all I don't think I'm a complete idiot. But that might be somewhat in question because I'm a looooong time Mac user :wink: A Mac I know my way around and seldom get stumpted.

BUT...

Last year I bought a PeeCee/Windoze machine and have never really gotten the hang of it. Specifically, the programs are sluggish to open, respond etc. On my Mac(s) I just allocate more memory and TAA_DAA all is well. But how do I do this on a P-4, XP home, 512 meg of ram???? Do I just need to buy more ram (and I know there's hardly any such thing as too much) for everyday stuff (Word, Quickbooks etc). I'm not doing any audio on this machine and the way it acts I'm not totally sure it can handle it.

Your advise, head whacking and or hand-holding is appreciated. Confused

Dave
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of suggewtions. First, make sure all updates have been installed, e.g., Service Pack 1 & 2. Second, get the Spyware Beta from Microsoft and run it. You may fiund that a ton of resident programs have been, somehow, loaded into RAM on start up.

Do Start -> Run -> msconfig. There's a tab for "Start Up". It contains all the stuff that are loaded in RMA when you start your system. Eliminate anything that's not necessary (easier said than determined, but that's what you may need to do).

I'd take those steps, first.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Channel wrote:
Here's a couple of suggewtions. First, make sure all updates have been installed, e.g., Service Pack 1 & 2. Second, get the Spyware Beta from Microsoft and run it. You may fiund that a ton of resident programs have been, somehow, loaded into RAM on start up.

Do Start -> Run -> msconfig. There's a tab for "Start Up". It contains all the stuff that are loaded in RMA when you start your system. Eliminate anything that's not necessary (easier said than determined, but that's what you may need to do).

I'd take those steps, first.

C

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the input...I suppose I should have mentioned that I have all the latest updates installed (SP 1 & 2) and I run McAfee Anti Virus plus regularly check for spyware with AdAware and Spybot...everything is clean.

I looked at the msconfig thing and there are about 18 items listed but for the life of me I couldn't tell anyone what they are let alone if they belong there or not...I see what you mean about figuring out what should stay or go...YIKES, can't Bill Gates and his minons speak English!!!

I'll check out the Microsoft site for the spyware program you mentioned.

Chugging along...albeit slowly
nick reed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Your computer has more than enough horsepower for your relatively light tasks. My first guess would have been a spyware problem. Are your Ad Aware and Spybot the most recent versions with updated whatchamacallits, profiles or sig files or something? This can make a difference. These clever spy authors are always coming up with something new that requires a new way to catch it. I guess everyone has their favorite spyware program. I think Ad Aware is one of the best.

If you have updated Ad Aware from top to bottom and that doesn't help, the next thing that I would do is defrag your harddrive. If you don't know how to do that, PM me.

Also, if you have added and/or deleted a lot of programs on your machine there may be a problem with your registry. I don't know if there are any freeware registry fixes. I use "Registry Mechanic" on my machine (which is similar to yours). I can't remember how much I paid for it, around $30, I think.

Let us know how you are doing with it...

Nick
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick reed wrote:
Dave,

Your computer has more than enough horsepower for your relatively light tasks. My first guess would have been a spyware problem. Are your Ad Aware and Spybot the most recent versions with updated whatchamacallits, profiles or sig files or something? This can make a difference. These clever spy authors are always coming up with something new that requires a new way to catch it. I guess everyone has their favorite spyware program. I think Ad Aware is one of the best.

If you have updated Ad Aware from top to bottom and that doesn't help, the next thing that I would do is defrag your harddrive. If you don't know how to do that, PM me.

Also, if you have added and/or deleted a lot of programs on your machine there may be a problem with your registry. I don't know if there are any freeware registry fixes. I use "Registry Mechanic" on my machine (which is similar to yours). I can't remember how much I paid for it, around $30, I think.

Let us know how you are doing with it...

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Yep...AdAware and Spybot have the most recent updates and I have defragged the hard drive (by the built in Windows program...it that good enough?), but alas and alack, its still poking along. Guess that leaves the possibility of a registry problem you mentioned. I have added and deleted several programs...maybe 10 or 20...in the last year (demo type stuff) is that a lot?

Thanks again for the help.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Is your computer running slow... all of the time?... or just when you run a particular program? The P4 is faster then what I'm running at the present time. Mine usually slows at bit when video clips are run. You might try De-fragging the hard drive...whether it needs it or not.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
nick reed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

A registry fix may help, it's worth a try. Do a google on "registry freeware" and you should come up with something. I found Registry Mechanic on a site other than PC Tools (who own the program) and IIRC it came with a 30 day trial. It worked so well that I bought it, but I didn't try looking for freeware at the time, there may be some good ones out there. I just looked at PC Tools and they did not appear to offer a free trial on their site but again, a google search may show a 3rd party site, which may offer a free trial.

Nick
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and we are using a Pee Cee because....?
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stil using Windows 98SE, but isn't 512 of ram kind of lite for XP? Would a GIG of RAM give better performance?

I've used both MAC and PC, but back in the early 90's when I got my first "two 5 & 1/4 floppies" computer the mac's were expensive. The same reason I have a BETAMAX machine here. <g>
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

512k of RAM is too lite for an XP. I'd definately buy more memory. On the other hand: DB's question hits the nail on the head.... Wink

Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:

...uh, because...well...uh...I...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

OK, I messed up. It seemed like a good idea right after I hit my head. I wanted to take advantage of a couple of software programs that weren't available for the Mac and or 9.2 (nope, no OSX--- my faithful ole B&W G3 wont run it). So, Dell had a pretty good deal and I thought (usually where my trouble starts) why not. I've been greatly confused and confounded ever since. I thought I might eventually move my recording needs to the pee cee but now....hmmmmmmmmmm :roll:

Not trying to start a Mac VS PeeCee/Windoze rant but IMHO the Mac is much more user friendly. With Windoze, I spend more time working on the computer than with it. GRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I've bought the "Windows XP Missing Manual" and a couple of other books but for some reason they just don't address what I would have considered basic issues/questions like my original post...how to allocate more ram to a given application. (only a couple clicks in my Macs).

Guess the next step is buy more ram, an amazing thought to me since my Mac only has 700 megs and handles audio and video without a hiccup.

mea culpa :oops:
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Deirdre wrote:

Not trying to start a Mac VS PeeCee/Windoze rant but IMHO the Mac is much more user friendly. With Windoze, I spend more time working on the computer than with it. GRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I've bought the "Windows XP Missing Manual" and a couple of other books but for some reason they just don't address what I would have considered basic issues/questions like my original post...how to allocate more ram to a given application. (only a couple clicks in my Macs).
mea culpa :oops:

That's OK. You'll not start any wars with me. I've been able to crash or lock up every computer I've got my hands on -- bar none (including Mac's).

The Mac OS (at least X) is based on BSD (a unix variant). And Unix permits setting disk swap space. Swapping occurs between the hard drive and RAM, I believe.

To answer your question:

From your desktop, open Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced (tab) -> Performance -> Settings -> Advanced:

At that point you can change (1) processor scheduling, (2) memory useage and (3) virtual memory. "Virtual memory" is the disk swap space.

On my Dell, I've got Processor scheduling set for "Background services"
Memory usage is set for "System cache". And "Virtual memory" is selected "System managed size." Mine is defaulted at 1.15 Mb and it flys fast.

FYI: I'm running 768 megs of RAM. But, 512 should also work OK.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, now do I know why my poor PC runs so slow - I've got 256 megs of RAM. At the time I figured I was set for a while. That was less than 2 years ago! Guess it's time for another upgrade - sigh - it's always something, isn't it? This time though I'll go up to a gig. That should keep me for a while.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:
Dave,

Is your computer running slow... all of the time?... or just when you run a particular program? The P4 is faster then what I'm running at the present time. Mine usually slows at bit when video clips are run. You might try De-fragging the hard drive...whether it needs it or not.

Well sir...just to mention a couple of specifics.

One of the things that set me off was the time it takes for Quickbooks to startup. (I just started it and it took 32 seconds to load). I would like to tell you that I have such a HUGH number of clients and data to crunch it should take that long but that's hardly the case.

Another is Windows Media Player. I start a file/song (on my hard drive) and after about 5 or 6 seconds the graphics freeze for several seconds...then it catches up to real time. It didn't always behave this way and no other programs are running in the background to suck up ram.

Arrrrghhhhh!
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick reed wrote:
Dave,

A registry fix may help, it's worth a try. Do a google on "registry freeware" and you should come up with something. I found Registry Mechanic on a site other than PC Tools (who own the program) and IIRC it came with a 30 day trial. It worked so well that I bought it, but I didn't try looking for freeware at the time, there may be some good ones out there. I just looked at PC Tools and they did not appear to offer a free trial on their site but again, a google search may show a 3rd party site, which may offer a free trial.

Nick

I checked it out and Registry Mechanic does have a free trial (limited version) available...I see what this does. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: