VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a Sound Card

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tren Hester
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Need a Sound Card Reply with quote

I am looking at a Dell P4 which, of course, comes with the latest Sound Blaster card. As I've looked at old voiceartist.com archives, I see that we all "agree to disagree" on sound cards.

Will the SB suffice for quality of dry voice work?
If not, any thoughts on the M-Audio Delta 44?

Or, what card are you using (and what do you like/dislike)?
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to wish you good luck.
Lynx Studio Technology LynxTWO "A" Model
Lynx Studio Technology LynxTWO "B" Model
RME HDSP MADI 24/96 128-CH. PCI INTERFACE
Tren Hester
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Get The Nitro Tabs Reply with quote

My heart (and wallet) are hurting!
Bill, thanks for the reply. You've given me good advice in the past.

A radio friend has recommended a Digigram card in the $500 range.
Technically and practically, what do the high $ cards bring to the table?
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tren,

I PM'd you with more details.

Bill
dmgood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Need a Sound Card Reply with quote

I had a SoundBlaster in my PC and thought it sounded OK. Then I got an Echo MiaMidi and installed it along side the SoundBlaster. I didn't realize how noisy the SoundBlaster was until I was working with them side by side and the noise level became quite apparent.

Now I think the Echo is quiet and the converters good. But I wonder how I'd feel if I was working with it side by side with one of Bill's Lynx cards or a DAL CardDeluxe...

It's funny how you don't know how inferior something sounds until you've heard in comparison to something better.
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: sound card Reply with quote

I tend the favor the ECHO MIA to the higher priced Lynx One. I have both.
The Lynx is in the drawer sealed up. I am using the ECHO MIA. The issue
I had with the LYNX was the latency issues. I don't have time to worry
with sound card issues! I just want it to be right ALL the time.

Lynx is a great card. It uses those XLR connections versus the quarter
inch on the Echo. Both are balanced. It's just personal preference.

I would NOT waste my money on a Sound Blaster. The echo is only about
$170 to $180 bucks through Musicians Friend or BSW !

That's my two cents worth.,,,
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Maybe you can skip the sound card Reply with quote

As I've noted in another post, I'm using a computer interface (Motu 828 Mk 2) from the folks at Mark of the Unicorn.

www.motu.com

You don't need a sound card. Everything goes through your Firewire connector (presuming you have a newer computer with Firewire). You can have up to 22 channels in and out with just the one wire.

They're running just under $700.00 new on Ebay, and used in the $300's, so it's more expensive than a sound card, but it does so much more and the free audio editing software is quite good.

Bruce[/url]
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... The MOTU 828 - now you're talking... I use one in my portable setup and have two in seperate studios (for a total of 24 tracks with lightpipe) for music. I also have RME's and a few other goodies, but for most VO style editing/recording, stick with a MIA, or one of these little ditties -

An M-Audio Firewire 410, PreSonus Firebox (each around $400.00), an M-Audio FireWire Solo ($200.00), Lexicon Omega (around $300.00), M-Audio MobilePre USB ($150.00), Edirol UA-25 USB (around $250.00), M-Audio Fast Track USB ($100.00), AudioTrak Maya44 USB or M-Audio USB 2496 Audiophile (both around $120.00) - Note: all of these are "external" cards - either Firewire or USB. My personal opinion is to move the card OPUT of the computer - for better sound quality. Confused

There are others, and depending upon your choice of software, you can spend a little or a lot on a sound card to match your needs OR desires.

For many, many VO type applications - a MIA or Maya44 or USB 2496 will be the perfect ticket. IF you are into MIDI or recording music with multitrack sessions - then SPEND THE MONEY and get a soundcard which will meet your needs and requirements.

That said, remember VO is MONO, and Yes we sometimes record in stereo, but TWO (2) tracks of GOOD - 16 or 24 bit, 44,100 0r 48,000 kHz audio is just what the Doctor ordered... any more is over-kill when all we do is record our voices - we have only one mouth you know...? :P

Frank F
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
.. we have only one mouth you know...? :P

Frank F

By the way, how's yours? Feeling any better?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... it's doing some better...the mouth that is... still cannot eat much and still am letting the fingers do the talking... The swelling is starting to subside a bit... but eating... I am learning about the "Seafood Diet" Where you "see" food and can't eat it... that's me...

Thanks for asking...

Frank F
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a DigiDesign 002r. Hindsite 20/20, I'd have gone with the Links solution Bill mentioned, the DA conversion is much better, the drivers work right and the AD is sweet - outboard processors like compressors, no problem.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: