VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Critique My Redesigned Website
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I like how the demos look on your front page. May I suggest one edit to the copy right above the demo player:

"If you'd rather listen to a CD, please let me know and I'll get one to you right away."

I don't think it's a good idea to suggest someone might have a problem with listening or downloading. If they do have a problem, your contact link is right there; but most likely they're just going to move on. I think it's very unlikely someone (other than a friend) will tell you that you have a problem with your site.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to what Bob said, you could also provide a link directly to the .mp3 files. Flash is not native to some browsers such as Firefox and requires a plug-in. Yes, it's prettier to have it in your browser, but it may be more convenient to offer it as a file that will launch the player of their choice.
richgates

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyKafer wrote:
To add to what Bob said, you could also provide a link directly to the .mp3 files. Flash is not native to some browsers such as Firefox and requires a plug-in. Yes, it's prettier to have it in your browser, but it may be more convenient to offer it as a file that will launch the player of their choice.

Actually the links to the mp3's are on the page. They are right underneath the browser. Smile
richgates

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
Rich,

I like how the demos look on your front page. May I suggest one edit to the copy right above the demo player:

"If you'd rather listen to a CD, please let me know and I'll get one to you right away."

I don't think it's a good idea to suggest someone might have a problem with listening or downloading. If they do have a problem, your contact link is right there; but most likely they're just going to move on. I think it's very unlikely someone (other than a friend) will tell you that you have a problem with your site.

Good call Bob, I will change it.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richgates wrote:
Actually the links to the mp3's are on the page. They are right underneath the browser. Smile

oh, well then. I feel dumb.
richgates

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyKafer wrote:
my god, you *do* sound like John Tesh!

I just hope that the similarities are vague and people won't think I'm him. I really wanted to have a unique sound. :(
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richgates wrote:
I just hope that the similarities are vague and people won't think I'm him. I really wanted to have a unique sound. :(

Don't take that as criticism! While you could easily pass for him, there's plenty of work for someone with a great voice like yours.
Sound Advice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!

These are just nitpicky things:

1. The navigation is redundant. If "Home" is highlighted on the navigation at the top, we don't also need a banner saying "Home" again on the page. And we certainly don't need "Welcome to the home of . . . " as the first line.

2. Don't include the fake scroll bar on your audio player. I tried scrolling down to look for more demos and got nowhere.

3. You spell "voiceovers" as one word in the banner at the top, and as two words "voice over" throughout the site. Both are correct. Choose one and be consistent.

4. Too much text on the main page. What's the important stuff here: Your NAME, your PHONE and EMAIL, and your DEMOs.
"Welcome to the home of Rich Gates, professional male voice talent."
- This is redundant, and anything that says "Welcome to my Web Site!" is very 7th grade.

"I am based in southern California, but with the technology available, I can reach you anywhere in the world. If you are located in the Los Angeles or San Diego area, I will come to you, or can record the session in my state of the art digital studio if you prefer."
- This is just unnecessary to say, precisely because it doesn't matter where you are, due to ISDN and Source-Connect and the fact that you have your own studio. Telling people where you're located will just turn off people who don't know about the technology. If you're going to have this info at all, put it on your Contact page.
richgates

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound Advice wrote:
Looks good!

These are just nitpicky things:

1. The navigation is redundant. If "Home" is highlighted on the navigation at the top, we don't also need a banner saying "Home" again on the page. And we certainly don't need "Welcome to the home of . . . " as the first line.

The additional banner is to provide consistency throughout the site. If I had the banner on each of the other pages but not on the home page it would look even more out of place.

Sound Advice wrote:

2. Don't include the fake scroll bar on your audio player. I tried scrolling down to look for more demos and got nowhere.

Yeah not much I can do about this. The scroll bar is part of the player and I don't believe there is a way to remove it. I will look into it however.

Sound Advice wrote:

3. You spell "voiceovers" as one word in the banner at the top, and as two words "voice over" throughout the site. Both are correct. Choose one and be consistent.

I agree with you here and will remedy that.

Sound Advice wrote:

4. Too much text on the main page. What's the important stuff here: Your NAME, your PHONE and EMAIL, and your DEMOs.
"Welcome to the home of Rich Gates, professional male voice talent."
- This is redundant, and anything that says "Welcome to my Web Site!" is very 7th grade.

"I am based in southern California, but with the technology available, I can reach you anywhere in the world. If you are located in the Los Angeles or San Diego area, I will come to you, or can record the session in my state of the art digital studio if you prefer."
- This is just unnecessary to say, precisely because it doesn't matter where you are, due to ISDN and Source-Connect and the fact that you have your own studio. Telling people where you're located will just turn off people who don't know about the technology. If you're going to have this info at all, put it on your Contact page.

I agree some of it isn't necessary for people to read, but I don't agree that welcoming people to your website is 7th grade. You realize your own website says, "Welcome to Sound Advice!" ? Smile A lot of what I put on my site has purpose. Some of it there to help with search engine optimization. I'm not sure how telling someone where I'm based would be a turn off, but I suppose moving it to the contact page makes more sense.

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to provide it. I will definitely look at tidying it up some, but don't want to do it to the point of sacrificing the ability to be found in a search or coming across as cold and unapproachable.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richgates wrote:
I agree some of it isn't necessary for people to read, but I don't agree that welcoming people to your website is 7th grade. You realize your own website says, "Welcome to Sound Advice!" ? Smile

ouch! Smile

Also, you only have 9 more words than their page so I'd say you're within their acceptable parameters.
richgates

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyKafer wrote:
richgates wrote:
I agree some of it isn't necessary for people to read, but I don't agree that welcoming people to your website is 7th grade. You realize your own website says, "Welcome to Sound Advice!" ? Smile

ouch! Smile

Also, you only have 9 more words than their page so I'd say you're within their acceptable parameters.

I wasn't meaning it as a slam. I was hoping the smile would show no ill will. I like to hear everyone's opinion both good and bad. It has helped me tighten up some of the stuff that needed help, and has made the site even easier to navigate which was the goal when I posted it for critique. I was already happy with the look (I guess I better be since I designed it Smile).
Sound Advice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richgates wrote:

You are correct, sir! Smile I guess I live in a glass house, so no throwing stones, eh?

I personally think The Sound Advice site is totally redundant. The info is good, but it's web design circa 1998! We're getting it redesigned for just that reason. Smile

My suggestions were just nitpicky things, like I said. Overall, I think your site looks good!
richgates

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound Advice wrote:
richgates wrote:

You are correct, sir! Smile I guess I live in a glass house, so no throwing stones, eh?

I personally think The Sound Advice site is totally redundant. The info is good, but it's web design circa 1998! We're getting it redesigned for just that reason. Smile

My suggestions were just nitpicky things, like I said. Overall, I think your site looks good!

The funny thing is I think your site looks great. It is exactly how I like sites to be. Clean, elegant and professional. I know it may be petty, especially in this line of work, but when I see a poorly designed site, I think someone is an amateur. Even though these so-called amateurs are making a living at this while I'm dwelling in obscurity. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: