VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demo reel page fixed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Demo reel page fixed! Reply with quote

OK, I think I've fixed the problems I had with the audio not playing back in some browsers. I tested it in IE6, 7 and Firefox, so I assume it's now fixed. I'd love to have any more feedback if you folks have any!

Thanks so much!

http://jeffreykafer.com/reels.asp
Edo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friendly hi from the pitch black Netherlands (it's 2.47 AM here Wink )

I tried playing your samples on my PowerMac G5 using Safari and on a PC running Netscape (yes, I'm one of the 67 people left on this earth using that browser on a PC)

The samples for 'audiobook' and 'talking house' play fine, the middle ones I can't seem to get playing... when it says "streaming" nothing happens. No problems in IE on another PC.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

In Firefox 2, WinXP SP2, the top 2 demos play, but not the bottom 2. As for the content, I particularly like your audiobook demo. Very nice work.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem you guys are seeing is that the files are not yet streamed in. If the little progress bar on the player is not green, the file has not yet streamed in. Not much I can do about it. Hopefully, folks will see the links right below the player which is a direct link the the MP3 file.

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. Audiobooks are actually my favorite, so it's nice that it comes through. Thanks for listening!
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, when we did this before, I said that it sounded to me as though you were not comfortable with the script in the audiobook demo. Bob Souer is a better judge than I - by far - and based on his praise for your work, I just had to go back and see where I blew it earlier.

I have listened again and again - and it finally dawned on me just why. Your read is actually very good. I asked myself if I could throw your audiobook read into the cd player while driving on a long trip and listen for a couple of hours at a time. I decided that I could - and enjoy it. So, the problem had to be something else.

So, I listened and thunk about it, I even recorded it and looked at it. That's when it hit me. I began thinking there were a few places where I would add a teeny tiny little bit of silence, that some of the edits are a bit abrupt, making the flow seem a bit unnatural in places.

In my opinion, some of those places would benefit from having just a tenth of a second or so, maybe even two or three tenths of a second of pause before transitioning into the next line. Sometimes it is more effective to pound away to build tension, but other times it is better to let it breathe a bit, let the listener absorb the thought before planting the next one.

By the way, everything played just fine for me, using Firefox 2. The Narration and Talking House demos were very good!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I think Don's points about your audiobook demo are well taken. (And Don, you are much too kind.) Sometimes, the most powerful tool we have for communication is actually the silences we leave in.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: