VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bowing Out of Work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Bowing Out of Work Reply with quote

asnively wrote:
I'm on the verge of writing a short note to a 'client' to withdraw from a project. The scope of what he needs is beyond the services that I am willing to provide for him (at least at the price I agreed upon for just voicing it.)

The script is so bad. He wanted me originally just to tidy up the English to make it more conversational-- no prob. I made my living as a full-time copywriter for years. But it's really beyond that. And he feels uncomfortable with email, so he needs to call me repeatedly on the phone, on a bad VOIP connection from a far-off country, and speak to me at length in broken English about his "vision."

And it's supposed to be a narration for an animation, but they did the animation first, before the script was written! So the words and the animation do not even appear to be talking about the same thing! My guess is that the poor Flash animator just did his best to animate a general concept for :60 based on telephone conversations-- no copy. No storyboards. Just a mess.

I have never, ever withdrawn from a media project before. I just have no choice this time. Sorry about the impromptu vent apropos of nothing...

Amy, I moved this to a new thread - because it does come up.

I have found that it is usually the clients who pay the least amount of money who require the most attention.

On your paticular project - if you think that the scope has increased, then absolutely stop until when and if you can agree on a new plan. But certainly, your time is valuable, so something needs to be decided.

I would screen my calls (although I don't know anything about VoIP and if it is possible to do so) for a while and send him a detailed email explaining the issues and the increased fees involved.

You might also explain that your schedule has you in your studio recording much of the time and your phone is going to voicemail and that email is your preferred method of communication.

I had a client several years ago when I was producing and writing who was doing something similar. I had a deposit and after sending him a fleshed out draft of the script based on several long conversations and an approved outline he decided to go a completely different direction. He was in another part of the state and the project did involve video production, so I suggested to him that due to his location and my schedule that perhaps it would be better to find a production company close by so that they could provide him with the time and attention he needed. I also explained that nothing more was due to me - that the deposit would cover the draft that I had submitted, along with the outline and the production estimates.

I don't think any of us willingly walks away from a job or a client, but at some point we need to realize that there may be times to do so. If the client is a major player, then we should figure out a way to make it work. If the client simply needs a bit of educating on the process, then we usually can make that happen. But if the client is completely in the dark and is difficult to communicate with, then perhaps the best thing to do is to let them know where you stand.

Because of the scope of the project I mentioned, I did have a deposit, so that made it a little bit easier, but I had a very hard time deciding to let the project go. What made it a bit easier was coming to the realization that this was simply a difficult person - that he was always like this.
CWToo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bowing Out of Work Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
I have found that it is usually the clients who pay the least amount of money who require the most attention.

Amen, Sister.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement and great advice, Connie. This is a low-budget (under $500) project and he's used up more than $500 of my time, not to mention the fact that I didn't even get to wash my hair yesterday and I turned in a batch of IVR prompts to a regular client late 'coz I couldn't get him off the phone.

I would be comical if it wasn't my real life.

Me: "I'm sorry, I can't talk to you right now. If I don't get back into the booth right now, there will be :30 of dead silence on 6 radio stations! Please email me!"

Him: "Ok. Sorry. I'm so very sorry. I'm so sorry to take up your time. I know you are a busy woman. I will call you back in a quarter of an hour."

AAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! Angry

Last edited by asnively on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started quoting independent commercial work proposals with the warning that if the copy is overwritten, the price goes up.

It takes me nearly twice as long to voice copy that is too many words for the time frame. PLUS I have no enjoyment in the process. And no matter how well I do it, it will sound like a mass of words-in-English, which I believe is not a good addition to my oeuvre.

So— the price goes up.

Also: Consultation phone calls are billable time if the client is an idiot.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
I've started quoting independent commercial work proposals with the warning that if the copy is overwritten, the price goes up.

I hear you, my sister. I have a spot running here in So Cal right now that sounds like I'm a chipmuck on speed, an effect I was able to deliver without any Pro Tools time magic, I might add.

I did it with my very own lips. It's awful. They loved it, and cut me a check immediately. I had to sleep for an hour afterward and my head was splitting for the rest of the day.

My first run through of the copy for the :30 spot came in at (wait for it...)

43 seconds.

That, my fine fellows, is how to overwrite a spot.

paddyo
CM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddyo

Last edited by paddyo on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddyo wrote:
Also: Consultation phone calls are billable time if the client is an idiot.

If the client is an idiot, it's billable at "double time"! Laugh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason this reminds me of the sign I used to see in an auto repair shop:

Labor Rates:

$50 per hour
$75 per hour if you watch
$100 per hour if offer to help

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
For some reason this reminds me of the sign I used to see in an auto repair shop:

Labor Rates:

$50 per hour
$75 per hour if you watch
$100 per hour if offer to help

Oh, man. That would be great to hang up at my office!

Amy, I see a lot of the same basic problems mentioned here that apply to just about any sort of (sorry if the word offends) "Service" work. Folks who try to do their own computer work and then screw it up beyond recognition usually bring it to us to fix for next to nothing and then wonder why it costs so much for US to bring their machine back from the dead. It's not worth our time to do discounted work because of someone's assumption of how much they'd like to pay for the service. One should CHOOSE whom they do charity work for. Wink

You're putting your talent and experience out there to make a living. You should be compensated for it, period. If you're on the phone for hours trying to get a :30 spot, then that's a little above and beyond, imo. I like the idea of the ID-Ten-T surcharge.
VO-BB Member #59
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it! I sent the letter! I withdrew from the project! I feel so free! I think I'll go dance around my kitchen and have a snack to celebrate!

Here is the letter. I hope it doesn't sound too mean... Believe me, I used a lot of restraint. I also tried to keep it easy for a semi-non-English-speaker:

Hi ______;

I am so sorry to have to tell you this, but I am going to have to withdraw from your project for the time being. The kind of assistance that you need for your project right now is beyond the services that I offer. You do not owe me any money.

People usually send me finished scripts, or ones that need just a little help, and then I record them, and then I get paid. Smile

It does not usually require multiple phone conversations, so I do not take that kind of time into consideration when quoting a price. If I was billing you my normal consultation rates, you would have already used up most of your budget by now! The fact that I have a lot of trouble understanding you on a bad VOIP connection makes things even more difficult and time-consuming.

I've already spent hours trying to figure your project out, and I cannot spend any more time on it at this stage. You need a scriptwriter and translator and maybe a bilingual project manager. You are not ready for a voice over artist right now.

Good steps for a project like yours:

#1 Decide what you want to say, and who you want to say it to
#2 Hire a writer to write the script, and then when the script is finished...
#3 Give the final script to the animator (or another artist, or an art director), who will create storyboards for the animation
#4 Make revisions to the script, if necessary
#5 Then give the script, and preferably the storyboards, to the voice over artist, who records it
#6 Then the final audio is given to the animator so he or she can complete the project

I think your product is very important an I am still excited about it. I would love to be the voice of your presentation, but you need to get to step #5. Please do not call me on the phone, but feel free to email me. (I don't usually talk to clients on the phone. I need to save my voice for the many hours each day that I am recording. It makes me too tired to complete my work well if I need to speak on the phone except in urgent matters.)

I hope you understand and I wish you every good fortune in your endeavors.

Yours,
Etc.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, enjoy your freedom!

Here in the UK we have a budget airline called RyanAir. Passengers can pay as little as $10 plus taxes and other charges to fly to European destinations. These passengers are mentally living in the 1950's when air travel was for the exclusive use of the rich and they were pampered all the way - For $10 the RyanAir passengers should think themselves lucky to get an inside seat. What's my point?

Some people approach me to do Voice Overs for them and they do not have the money for a full service Philip Banks but they may get my voice with "RyanAir" service, in other words "no fluffiness".

When an ad agency gives you a hard time during a session, be nice no matter what, they're paying for fluffiness. When someone is not paying the fluffiness premium say and do what you like while getting the job done!!!
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done...good for you!

Dave

P.S. Dittos to Sir Philips post
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are clients that we do "full service." This may include everything from concept and research to auditions, specs and final implementation including media buy recommendations. And yes, we charge accordingly.

Perhaps in your letter, you should explain that the client may want to contact a full service agency to properly prepare the campaign and work out the final details. At that point, encourage them to then contact you for the final presentation production.

Maybe we should all describe the levels of involvement we are able to provide, making sure no one gets confused, in our web and demo presentations.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, people who try to get things done on the cheap, by not hiring a full-service agency to handle their project, often spend more in the long run due to missteps, mistakes, and missed opportunities. (Ooh! How alliterative!)

This client is putting his entire R&D investment at risk by not going to market with the right stuff with which to inform his potential big-money customers and investors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: