VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DB's VO Website "Rules"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
The problem with biographical info is that it can be clunky on a website. I think bio stuff should be limited to work that pertains directly to your VO work; sometimes the best bet is to let a resume do all the talking—there are usually no pronouns to worry about.

Professional info— info about your services—is probably best described with no pronouns or with limited third-person pronouns. Writing about oneself in the first person is likely to induce "I" strain in the reader if you're not careful.
If the website is obviously just your own, using "we" can be dishonest and silly—please! do you really have a staff?
I think a good example of "missing first person" and third-person usage is Connie Terwilliger's front page.

Thanks, Deebs (and Connie!). One of my goals is to avoid the "I" strain you mentioned. That was one of the things that wore me down last summer while trying to find a job in Maine. "I have this experience... I did this... I did that..." bleh. It was bad enough WRITING it, so I could just imagine how it read. Judging from what I saw on Connie's site, my instinct to use the proper pronoun (ie my NAME) whenever possible is on the right track.

Greg
VO-BB Member #59
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: DB's VO Website "Rules": Reply with quote

Hi,
I am an old pro but new here and just looking around. Personally I agree about sound on a landing page. I don't like it. I'd much rather click and hear what I want on demand, It's kinda like having something pushed on me I didn't ask for. As for the other stuff, I enjoy seeing dynamic , original (not canned) images.....which you can spot the moment you see them. Thanks for listening.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbin--Welcome, and nice, nice avatar!
Diane
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: