VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
R.I.P. SAM MOWRY
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When A.I. Vocalization Is A Good Thing

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bruce
Boardmeister


Joined: 06 Jun 2005
Posts: 7947
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: When A.I. Vocalization Is A Good Thing Reply with quote

Randy Travis can sing again:

From CBS Sunday Morning…

https://youtu.be/zM2UzZ4TVGw?si=seP4PHOK9gBU4a95

OK. That’s one good thing.

B
_________________
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bob Bergen
CM


Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Posts: 956

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree! And it represents the definition of what our union contracts refer to as consent. This represents the next generation of residual profit sharing for the voice actor, as it is inevitable generative AI will use old content to create new content, which will continue to bring in revenue to the heirs of voice actors way after they have passed. Heirs have always profit shared on older content residuals, but we have never seen new content created from older content. This is the silver lining I have been talking about for the past few years regarding AI.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fran McClellan
The Thirteenth Floor


Joined: 15 Feb 2010
Posts: 1312
Location: Middle of Nowhere, PA

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It's great to see AI being used for good. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go reapply my mascara after watching that.
_________________
Back into the murky lurk from whence I came
--
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lee Gordon
A Zillion


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 6850
Location: West Hartford, CT

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
Heirs have always profit shared on older content residuals, but we have never seen new content created from older content.


I recall, quite a few years ago, somebody made a commercial, not with AI, but just with clever and skillful video editing, that incorporated a long deceased celebrity (Humphrey Bogart, or someone of that ilk) into the pitch. I don't recall whether the producers had negotiated with his heirs for the rights to use his likeness or whether this was the test case that brought about the decree that such compensation was necessary. But the concept is exactly the same.

I think this is a point a lot of voiceoverists seem to be missing. AI is a tool. The fact that AI exists and people are going to use it is not the issue. The issue is, whether the people whose voices and/or likenesses are reproduced retain control of those likenesses so that they are not used inappropriately and that the artists (or their heirs) are properly compensated.
_________________
Lee Gordon, O.A.V.
Voice President of the United States
www.leegordonproductions.com
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bob Bergen
CM


Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Posts: 956

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recall, quite a few years ago, somebody made a commercial, not with AI, but just with clever and skillful video editing, that incorporated a long deceased celebrity (Humphrey Bogart, or someone of that ilk) into the pitch. I don't recall whether the producers had negotiated with his heirs for the rights to use his likeness or whether this was the test case that brought about the decree that such compensation was necessary.


That is protected under The Fred Astaire Act, which basically states that a deceased celebrity's image or voice may not be used for new content unless their heirs give consent, which always comes with negotiated compensation. For a few years several in leadership at the union thought this would also protect and profit share when AI is used for the same purpose, but AI needs very different and separate laws and protections.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mike Paul
Contributor IV


Joined: 05 Oct 2021
Posts: 122
Location: Sacramento

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice to see, thanks for sharing Bruce. For all the bad in the world, sure does feel good to see something like this happening. It would be super interesting to work on the production side of this.
_________________
Mike Paul
https://speakingofmike.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Moosevoice
Backstage Pass


Joined: 16 Nov 2012
Posts: 402
Location: Iowa

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Randy Travis piece was both heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.
Proves that AI is not 100% evil to our livelihoods.
Maybe just 90%
; )
_________________
www.moosevoice.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lee Gordon
A Zillion


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 6850
Location: West Hartford, CT

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
For a few years several in leadership at the union thought this would also protect and profit share when AI is used for the same purpose, but AI needs very different and separate laws and protections.


I would have thought so, too. The principal is basically the same. I agree, if AI isn't covered by those existing laws, we need ones that do provide similar protections.
_________________
Lee Gordon, O.A.V.
Voice President of the United States
www.leegordonproductions.com
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bob Bergen
CM


Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Posts: 956

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
Bob Bergen wrote:
For a few years several in leadership at the union thought this would also protect and profit share when AI is used for the same purpose, but AI needs very different and separate laws and protections.


I would have thought so, too. The principal is basically the same. I agree, if AI isn't covered by those existing laws, we need ones that do provide similar protections.


Correct! And much of this needs to come from legislation above and beyond SAG-AFTRA. The reason AI is not covered under The Astaire Act is because The Astaire Act covers existing work, images and voice. AI enhances and (or) manipulates this existing work. It goes so technically beyond, it needs protections that go beyond The Astaire Act. Our contracts are providing this protection and profit sharing for our work, but there are no provisions for deceased actors. The good news is this is aggressively being addressed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MooreVoices
Contributor II


Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Posts: 59
Location: Atlanta

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
Bob Bergen wrote:
Heirs have always profit shared on older content residuals, but we have never seen new content created from older content.


I recall, quite a few years ago, somebody made a commercial, not with AI, but just with clever and skillful video editing, that incorporated a long deceased celebrity (Humphrey Bogart, or someone of that ilk) into the pitch. I don't recall whether the producers had negotiated with his heirs for the rights to use his likeness or whether this was the test case that brought about the decree that such compensation was necessary. But the concept is exactly the same.

I think this is a point a lot of voiceoverists seem to be missing. AI is a tool. The fact that AI exists and people are going to use it is not the issue. The issue is, whether the people whose voices and/or likenesses are reproduced retain control of those likenesses so that they are not used inappropriately and that the artists (or their heirs) are properly compensated.


These four words are the most import words in the entirety of the discussion, wherever it is being had, inside of this larger paragraph of best practices.
_________________
Freedom is not knowing your limits but realizing that you have none.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
MooreVoices
Contributor II


Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Posts: 59
Location: Atlanta

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was coming of age at the same time of hip hop.

This artist was one of THE most heavily anticipated at that time...then just like that, larynx destroyed in an auto accident.

THESE two stories are what are exciting about AI.

https://rockthebells.com/articles/the-doc-cbs-morning-ai-interview/
_________________
Freedom is not knowing your limits but realizing that you have none.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JohnV
Been Here Awhile


Joined: 25 Feb 2016
Posts: 233
Location: Md/DC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody must already have this book optioned...
A personal vendetta goes awry when an ex-actor tries
to bring a dose of theatrical reality to the 21st century's
popular form of live drama where actors have
sold themselves out to be analysed and coded and rented,
thus getting their revenues from shows that use those parameters to
surrogately 'cast' them in perfectly human-like but all-robotic performances.

last bedside scene:
“It’s too late to find a permanent niche.”

His friend replies,
“It was too late when you were born old man! There isn’t any such thing—
hasn’t been for the last century. Whatever you specialize in,
another specialty will either gobble you up or find a way to replace you.
If you get what looks like a secure niche somebody will come along and
wall you up in it and write your epitaph on it. And the more specialized
a society gets, the more dangerous it is for the pure specialist …
You’ve got one specialty that’s safe…
The specialty of creating new specialties. Continuously. On your own…
More or less a definition of Man, isn’t it?”

Walter M. Miller Jr
"THE DARFSTELLER" 1955
_________________
SoundscenesDC, main talent and production offices just 385k km up the gravity well in LuNoHoCo Center, old satellite studios still bookable at the future site of Johnson City!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group