VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website refresh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Website refresh Reply with quote

How often do you refresh your website?
As in, anything from changing the color scheme to a flat-out whole new layout.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About as often as I feel like moving stuff around in my office. Beyond proving that we exist, showing some examples of work (and, if you are seeking representation, demos), and providing contact info, all the rest is for your fellow VOs and family members to marvel at.

I do like to refresh every few years just because I enjoy the process. I do not think it will change anything about how much work I will get, which relies on auditions and past work. I do book off demos, but that happens when my agent who has a relationship with a buyer shares it.

Buyers *might* occasionally look at my website, but that happens after they are considering me for something already. I expect they are making sure I am not entirely crazy and, if they have no idea who I am, that I have successfully executed in the past, esp in the realm they represent.

A lot of folks swear by the concept of "branding" but I'm not one of them, as I have detected precious little evidence that such effort actually produces results. (See: any post by Philip for more thoughtful insight.) I doubt that the good people who hire me spend a lot of time thinking of me, but when they do, it is their sense of my actual reliability and ability that matters to me, not any image I create of myself.

You asked a simple question, and I gave you a complex answer. Says more about my caffeine level than my perspicuity--or pith.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm kind of with you on the 'i like to do it every few years.'
I did a refresh a couple years ago and I like it but just want to make sure I'm not letting things get stale.
The occasional blog post helps keep it in the 'eye of the algorithm' I guess, maybe updating some SEO info.
But just wanted to make sure there wasn't a 'blind spot' on my site that I was missing. In THAT regard anyway.
Thanks dood.
btw, nice job on the Kimmel/Odenkirk video.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of revamping mine. It's functional, but I'd like it to look less like ass.

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose, in taking a quick peek, I suggest you consider removing the "about me/gear" section (no one cares about your gear, at least no one who might hire you) and put your contact info there instead.

My entirely inexpert opinion :)
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:

A lot of folks swear by the concept of "branding" but I'm not one of them, as I have detected precious little evidence that such effort actually produces results.

I tend to agree. I believe, in most cases, our names are our "brands." Every once in a while, the stars align and someone comes up with a brand that perfectly matches his or her style. Doug Turkel's "Unnouncer" is the best example of that that I can think of. But, generally, there are very few cases in which someone can come up with a picture and/or a one, two, or three word expression that instantly conveys their niche in the marketplace to the people who buy our services.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
but I'd like it to look less like ass.

My kids both told me how horrible my website is. They've been saying it for years. I'm finally working on the new one. I even considered hiring someone to do it! I know, shut up! But I finally got my vision and I'll set it in motion. I looked into my website traffic and it's been pretty good but rarely am I contacted because someone found my site.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been poking at it with a sharp stick and I think I'm finally going to (GASP!) pay someone.

melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had mine redone for the first time in 10 years. It still has my "look" (some might call it branding Wink) but it's updated and showcases videos better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: