VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should it be Chat or Learn or maybe critique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Should it be Chat or Learn or maybe critique Reply with quote

Not sure where to plug this topic but curious if anyone knows of another source besides Websters to hear pronunciations specifically words with "ing". I am having some difficulties satisfying a client with my "ing"s. Perhaps it is a midwestern thing and need to consult with a speech coach, but what if they are from the midwest?...YIKES!!! Do you need a different speech therapist for each region? Or maybe the client is too critical? (Legend in my own mind)

Here is a sound bite...

www.jeffkaylor.com/running.mp3

Do you here a problem with my "ing"s and if so does anyone know where a soundbite would be that offers the correct pronunciation of "ing"?
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I hear is "gidding" instead of "getting" as far as the 'ing' word go. Where's the client from?
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California...Silicone Valley
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

What I hear in the word "running" is a not quite complete "ing" at the end. It's not a full-blown corruption like people who say run-een, but it's trending in that direction. Getting sounds much the same. In other words, you're not pulling your tongue far enough back along the roof of your mouth while forming the "ng" part of the sound.

Another online dictionary resource I like is OneLook.com which allows you to search dozens of online dictionaries at once. Several of them have audio. I have a subscription to the full unabridged Webster's online because I do a lot of medical and technical narrations so it's worth the small charge each year. Sadly, they do not have an audio clip that will help you. At least not that I can find.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Doc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

When I was teaching, we worked on phonetics and diacritics quite a bit. The suffix, "ing" is troublesome for many, so don't feel as though you're alone in the boat with one oar.

The key is to remember that the "ing" sound is produced with nasal resonance... which means if you're pronouncing it correctly, you should feel a small buzz or vibration in your nose.

If you need an audio example, I'd be happy to provide one.

Couple this with the other replies to your post within and you should be on-track.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I hear is the ING's are a little soft. Just a pronounce them a little stronger...not like New Yorkers who call the area east of the city LonG Giland, but...just a bit.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one "running" is probably not the one he was talking about right?

The second one involved juxtupositioning some difficult sounds together that require your articulators to be very warmed up.

"getting it back up" - I heard a little hesitation between getting and it and back and up - instead of a smooth "getting-it-back-up" - sort of like you had been saying it so many times that you lost the underlying meaning of those words and it was just now consonants and vowels strung together.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The second one involved juxtupositioning some difficult sounds together that require your articulators to be very warmed up.

There's a nice phrase to get those articulators warmed up, right there!
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, Jeff...it sounded OK to me.... If I HAD to say, I'd side with Bruce and ask you to articulate -ing a little harder... I know producers can be nit-pickers, but sometimes I think THEY think they have to criticize something.

Given the over-all quality of your delivery, I'd say yep: they THINK they have to criticize something.

courvo
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
donrandall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do hear it as "getteen" instead of "getting" - - but only because I was lookeen for it.

If I were listening to the presentation as one of those for whom it was intended, I doubt that I would have noticed it at all.

In all honesty, I have a long and growing list of highly talented voiceover people of whom I am jealous - and you are on that list. For me to be half as good as you, I would need to be twice as good as me. Well.....okay, ten times!
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions! I am certain that this experience will drive improvement. This client does have a critical ear and is a repeat customer that pays well...so not too bad a deal.

Quote:
The first one "running" is probably not the one he was talking about right?

Connie, he didn't like either of the "ings" but it looks like he is going to go with it..just hope he will stay a repeat customer.

I just need to convince him to listen live via phone patch so we can minimize the redos and back and forth stuff. And of course I need to ensure my articulators are warmed up! Anywho...thanks so much for your input! You guys are GREAT!!

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: