VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Having fun again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Paul
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Having fun again Reply with quote

I've gone through a bit of an identity crisis recently: who am I, in this business? Am I an actor, or a marketer? A creator, or someone just going through the motions waiting for the "numbers game" to play out? Am I even having fun anymore?

Then yesterday it hit me: I wasn't having fun anymore.

I never got into this to be a marketer, salesman, audio engineer, etc. Sure, these skills are necessary for voice actors in 2023, but... that is NOT why I got into this. I'd found that my soul had been sucked by all the "work" you have to do outside of the fun bits. It's daunting. There's so much to do. Not enough time. Too much--you get the idea.

That's when I was struck again: I got into this to have fun. To create, to play. I enjoy all this--I really do! So...how can I maximize my enjoyment and minimize the pain?

They say to be yourself and bring yourself to the microphone. Let the different shades of your personality shine through. Well, this morning I did just that in my weekly workout group and the results were outstanding. We played, had fun, and the reads felt authentically me. I was having fun again.

How did I find the spark? By remembering why I got started. I was doing some day-job stuff and had some Disney Classics playing in the background. It reminded me just how fun animation is, which got me thinking how much fun I used to have "doing voices," (FUN!) which doesn't happen much these days because I was too busy "reading copy". The Disney stuff reminded me to be a kid, to play, that THAT is the side of me I want to share with the world. THAT is my why: I can't explain it, it just fills my cup to get in there and really play.

So, if you find yourself in a rut--remember why you started. Refocus. I haven't booked anything just yet based on this re-focused effort (the epiphanies only just happened yesterday!) but I'm really looking forward to the ACTING side of life again, because it truly is FUN.

On a personal note: my professional goal is clearer than ever: I want to get into the Union and do that level of VO, with that level of creative copy, that type of pay--yes, yes, I know--and those types of benefits (again, yes I know).

It is endlessly fun to craft up the different sides of my personality and let that shine through the copy, however it manifests itself. It's fun to surprise myself. Someday, when my wife and I are ready to move to LA, animation will become a part of my life. For now, though, I'm focused on commercial copy and mastering that craft.

While I understand all the advice against going union in today's world, each walks his own path. I never decided against getting into something because people said it couldn't be done, or it was hard, or the chances are slim.

When I ran a half-marathon with my wife (a disabled athlete) I had no idea what I was in for. I just trained with her and ran it. At the end, my knees gave out and I hit the ground about 10 feet past the finish line. Had I known all the hard work it would have taken... how I'd feel (physically) at the end... perhaps I wouldn't have done it. But that's not me. I just jump right in, because... that's my DNA. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

So, cheers! To creation... and beyond!
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Having fun again Reply with quote

speakingofmike wrote:

While I understand all the advice against going union in today's world, each walks his own path. I never decided against getting into something because people said it couldn't be done, or it was hard, or the chances are slim.

Good for you! Ya know, it's (going union) aways been hard. It used to be the only game in town. Not so much anymore. And as hard as it is, it is far easier today than it was when I got into the business. But I never wanted easy. Most who came before the internet didn't want it easy. Now, I do advise do not join the union until you have to. But no matter what route anyone takes in this business called show, don't take the easy road. You get out of it what you put into it.
Mike Paul
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob. Looking forward to training with you when the time comes.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it! FYI, I have a good 3 year waitlist, so if interested I suggest getting on it. bob@bobbergen.com Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: