VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source Connect Now issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Source Connect Now issue Reply with quote

Anyone have issues when using Source Connect Now?

Client and I did a test-run today for a session tomorrow and am glad we did because we could NOT get it to work.
My audio was going to him (audio and VU meter) but I could not hear his audio or see his VU meter.

Tried later on with Cleanfeed and same issue.

We ended up testing wtih Source Connect Standard/Pro and that worked fine but could NOT get 'Now' to work.
Went through all the different 'clicks' and changes but nothing.
Mac M1 machine (hardwired to router)
Chrome browser
Apollo Twin interface
Loopback app for feeding DAW audio to him (and, yes, tried it with Loopback turned off)

We poked around with 'Audio Midi Setup' app too.

Anything I'm missing here?
Mike Paul
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moose,

Make the one-time investment in Source-Connect Standard, go get yourself Certified (multi-step process but ensures rock-solid reliability and a good understanding of the product so you know how to troubleshoot), and you'll never look back.

I once asked SC about the Now product because I was working with a studio that required the Standard product and I wanted to know why. Here was his response:

Quote:
Actually the paid and free "now" version are different tech. The paid version will not change the bitrate or latency of a connection once established unless bandwidth issues are so severe that the connection can not be maintained. Anything that relies on the Chrome web browser including SCNow is dependent on the audio capabilities of Chrome which were really only designed for general communications and "intelligibility" instead of true "fidelity". So even though the Chrome SCNow free option provides a high quality connection because of how Chrome handles audio it is prone to act a lot like Skype or other consumer voip solutions. Thus with the Now version of SC along with anything that relies on Chrome if there are bandwidth fluctuations is prone to distortions in the time and frequency domain as Chrome tries for just "intelligibility". This is why often production houses and other VO shops demand the full version of SC above other options.

Hope this helps.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I actually have Standard and that's what we ended up deciding to use instead of Now until we actually figured out the problem.

Long story short, we tried the standalone version of 'Now' (basically just the chrome web shell with just the SC Now) and it worked.
When going back to the browser (Chrome) to try it again, it would still not work. However, when I disabled all extensions, it finally worked.
Bottom line: Some extension (probably and ad blocker) was not allowing me to hear (receive) the other end of the call.

This client prefers Now as it's 'peer-to-peer' instead of going through Source Elements' servers which adds delays.
I don't know. I've always been told that Now is not better than Standard but he being the client I was determined to get him the method he prefers.

We got it figured out and hopefully anyone who uses Source Connect Now will find this posting and TURN OFF THEIR EXTENSIONS!
Smile

PS...client (actually audio production house) says that Source Elements did something to Now during the pandemic (can't remember what) that basically made it more stable and/or better fidelity.
I can't remember exactly what he said but it was something along the lines of: people were using it more so they made it better?

Also, where is this training at for SC Standard?
Mike Paul
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training/Certification: https://store.source-elements.com/courses/source-connect-standard-3-9-certification

Yearly Re-Certification: https://store.source-elements.com/studio-certification-and-yearly-system-check

It's $75 for the training and then $25 yearly for the re-certification, which takes about 5-10 minutes of you showing them your settings and then doing a 5-minute test session where you read something and then they report back the packet loss. (Should be 0% packet loss across the five minutes.)
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Whittam also does a great tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlqpurDQkfA

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moosevoice wrote:

This client prefers Now as it's 'peer-to-peer' instead of going through Source Elements' servers which adds delays.

I was wondering why you were trying to use SC Now if you both have Standard (or Pro). I'm not sure the client's thinking is correct about this, but the customer is always right.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: