VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It really is OK to simply walk away

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:09 am    Post subject: It really is OK to simply walk away Reply with quote

I sincerely hope I have either the sense or a close friend who will tell me when it's time!

https://vimeo.com/798685448
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've told many hopefuls and beginners that they didn't have a chance of going far, but they had to ask me personally or through our critique folder on this site. I can't imagine reaching out and telling someone it's time to pack it in, even when it's stone cold obvs. Oh, I have wanted to, but I consider myself a gentleman through and through.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be simply awful to play the part of Dr Dreamcrusher. Give people the info, the stats, the probability, the potential financial costs and any other real world information then let them decide.

"Y'know, you haven't made it yet but your voice would be great for elearning and at the moment my elearning demos are only $2,000!"

"With a no success full money back guarantee?"

Mic Drop.
Art
Contributor III

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willie Nelson had a fantastic tip in his autobiography for songwriters that I think applies.

He said, "If a songwriter should hear through the grapevine that I didn't care for their work, a true songwriter will say, 'Willie Nelson? What does he know? F*CK Willie Nelson!"

I get what he means.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have evolved to the point where the trite, smart Alec ways a Life Insurance salesperson handles objections to buying now sound like the result of a 3 week retreat hosted by Plato, Carl Jung and Arthur Schopenhauer.

Serendipity is far more useful than any coaching, guidance, website or Head Nodding demo. Be somewhere, meet someone and say exactly the right thing at the right time. Tough? Yes. It requires silence, the ability to ask questions, understand the answers and the persistence to politely keep going when you get replies rather than answers.

Presence
Persistence
Politeness

None of the above can be "contracted out" to managers, agents, social media influencers, social media in general and ...

Someone once said "fake it 'til you make it!" Great advice. The meaning? Be confident. What did most business people take away from that tip? "Lie!"

Be confident enough to stick with it and smart enough to know if you should walk away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: