VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie VO demo...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLinc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Newbie VO demo... Reply with quote

Be kind. But be honest. But mostly kind. :-P

And take your time. The last thing I want is to be accused of being a smarmy poster demanding instant results... Wink

http://www.BillLeVasseur.com and click DEMO. Thanks!!!
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a direct link ladies and gentlemen...

http://www.billlevasseur.com/VOdemo.mp3

Bill,

My quick 2 cents worth... what I hear has potential, however the overall feel of the demo is that you're trying too hard and the natural you isn't coming through. I'm confident that you've got the chops to be successful in v/o, but right now you're trying too hard to "sound like a v/o". Try to focus on relaxing your reads a bit, slow them down, let the natural you come out, because right now I'm getting the feeling that you're a little bit on the Monster Truck side of things.

Regarding the demo quality, it's sounds okay, but the production could definately use some spice... a good starting point but once you've had a chance to become more comfortable and flowing in your delivery, I'd suggest you have a demo produced by a engineer who does a lot of v/o and a lot of v/o demos.

Good start... I'm sure you'll keep on going! Smile

Cheers,

Brian
BLinc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback!! The funny thing is that I thought I was being too much like the real ME and not a VO guy. It sounds just like the rest of my stuff on my hosting demo, or my commercial demo. I've downloaded a book from "myVOguy.com" (who also suggested this forum), and I am going to read up as much as I can to get better. And this forum is now my home page when I get online, so I will be listening to all of you pros for quite some time.

Thanks again Brian!
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill,

After I posted I took a look at your other demos on your site... WOW! You've got that side of things nailed down tight! It really shouldn't be difficult for you to make the transition, however for some odd reason, when I microphone is placed 6 inches directly in front of our faces on a stand instead of 2 feet above us on a boom we turn into different people! It's a bit of a different world in the booth, but one that is very rewarding and unbelievably fun!

That brings me to my next point... you scared the cr#@p out of my when you said that you were "going to read up as much as I can to get better"... books are a great resource for finding technique, learning what works for other people etc. .. however you will NEVER get better by reading (at least I don't see how you can!) You will only improve your craft with good 'ol fashioned practice, practice, practice. Forget the books... go buy yourself a little tape recorder (or digital recorder) and practice reading absolutely everything that you can get your hands on. Also, browse as many professional v/o sites that you can and listen to delivery, inflection, character, emotion, so on and so on!

Hockey players review game tapes, do some reading early in their careers ( some may debate the legitimacy of a hockey player acutally reading Wink ), but they become true professionals after years of practice and die hard determination!

Keep the books, but focus your energy on developing the "microphone you"... you completely have the "on camera" you, now just remember how long it has taken you to perfect and be successful with that aspect of your craft and remember that v/o is the same, if not more difficult!
BLinc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! That is great to hear Brian. Thanks for all your insight. You are correct, I have been relating VO work to "off camera acting" and kind of doing the same for both. It is a new thing for me, and will certainly practice practice. Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: