VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Read Pre-offended to save time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Read Pre-offended to save time Reply with quote

The #voiceover world is lacking! DON'T PANIC, I have solutions. What we really need are Facebook Groups, Twitter groups, Whatapp groups and Zoom Groups for Voice Talent, more free "An introduction to Voiceover" online webinars ( like a seminar only made of web) run by Coaches who are so NOT recruiting students, self-selecting awards ceremonies, conferences in the east, north, south and west with exactly the same speakers presenting exactly the same plagiarized, unproven material at every single one, a VO members only organisation run conference with speakers cherry picked from members who attend conferences in the east, north, south and west. 3 competing voice over organisations in UK who invite out of work actors from the USA to teach UK actors how to go and coach in the US, an elite VO conference on an island with a golf course and several cases of Tempranillo with attendance costing $7,000 for the worst of all of the former plus the SH*T demo of your choice, a union that believes no one should work which has a rate structure so impenetrable that Fibonacci invented a sequence to calm people during negotiations, Algorithm Entrepreneurs who believe the best way to cast is 01101101001010101100110101010011001010101001101010, an audition and a $599 subscription, plus a well worked 50% back end, someone who sets up as a VO on a Thursday and then remembers just in time for his web site launch that he in fact has over 20 years’ experience and a Blue Yeti, a gifted VO mentor who no one really understands so is summed up as "intuitive" and a new breed of managers who for 20% are determined to remain blissfully ignorant of all of the above, what working for a client involves and how many bills 20% of nothing will pay.

Yes. That simple. I'm surprised no one else thought of it. Yes, you are SO welcome.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Yeti --- $275

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking for the Off Side flag .
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you have it.

Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I cannot argue with the downside(s) of social media. That goes beyond the world of vo. But I can vouch for the good sides. Caveat emptor! There are just as many, or more, ethical vo pages/people on social media as there are unethical ones. The problem isn't that there are unethical options out there. The problem is that we are living in a society that chooses ease over earn. They want instant gratification over hard work. And the charlatans are just giving em what they are asking for. This is indeed a byproduct of the internet. But the smart and savvy ones will be able to weed out the charlatans. That savvy group represents the minority out there pursuing vo. But it always did! It's the same with every profession. It was the same with vo when I started out. Many pursued and a small handful had what it took to find the great and ethical coaches. The difference today is there's just more of everything. More coaches, more work! More platforms needing vo talent than ever before. I'm one of many who spends a ton of time between work and auditions giving out free advice on social media. I posted a great panel interview on vo just this morning on my own facebook page. No charge to see that. Dee Baker has an amazing site on all aspects of the business. Steve Blum's facebook page is amazing. There's good stuff out there. No need to waste/invest time on the charlatans.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, the above summary is simply ... Perfect!

As always your input is truly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: