VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice gets 'burnt' by afternoon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Voice gets 'burnt' by afternoon Reply with quote

Looking for some voice health tips.
After a morning (6am on) of talking with wife/kids, auditioning, more life stuff that involves talking, my voice gets pretty burned out/raspy by 1/2pm.

What do you do to help your voice stay healthy? Protection tips? Strengthening exercies?

Keep it sounding at 2pm how it sounded at 9am.

Some background: Not doing any yelling. I drink a few cups of coffee but rehydrate with water soon after
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of caffeine necessary to actually have a dehydrating impact is pretty large so that's not going to have too much of an impact on it. More info here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965

For me, regular hydration throughout the day is about the only thing that works. When mine gets real bad - like the cold I'm in the middle of - it's hot Throat Coat tea with copious amounts of honey and lemon juice sipped on all day. If it's -real- bad, I add fresh sliced ginger into it.

For strengthening, much has been said about lightly doing sirens through the aperture of a very small straw. Hype or not, it works. At least for a variety of professional singers who swear by it and singing coaches who suggest it. (disclaimer: i am not a physician. i just repeat things i hear)
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are working and auditioning that much, then you need to keep quiet during the day between work and auditions. Reserve your voice for career. I also suggest you go to an ENT and have things checked out to make sure your vocal issues aren't physical. Working from home brings with it challenges, one of which is vocal distractions. You need to treat the home as if it were an outside office. Family just has to understand you need to keep your voice to career until the end of the workday.

Now, I also cannot relate as I rarely if ever get vocally burnt out. And I do a lot of work everyday. But every "body" is different.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can typically do long pharma/medical narrations all day long - as much as 9,000 - 10,000 words per day in addition to yelling at neighborhood kids to be quiet & get off my lawn. i drink room temperature water with lemon pretty much all day.

a few years ago it was MAYBE 6,000 words --- a few years before that like 4,000 --- so, i think to some degree, it's like any other muscle --- use it and it will get stronger?*

*todd is not a doctor nor an expert on anything.

Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George wrote:
sirens through the aperture of a very small straw. Hype or not, it works.

Interesting. Will have to give that a try.

Good idea, Bob. I'll go to an ENT and get things checked out/tips from them.
tokyofan
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm over 50 I find I need to warm-up my voice a lot more or it starts to sound raspy, strained, and somewhat effortful. I enrolled in a Vocal Freedom course that is cram-full of useful exercises for maintaining, relaxing, and strengthening the voice.
What works for me:
*Nasal irrigation (neti-pot or other sinus rinse)
*Using a nebulizer for 5+ min every morning. This hydrates the vocal folds faster and more directly than steam or drinking water.
*Straw phonation (plenty of YouTube videos on this) for relaxing/strengthening
*Humming
*Tongue/Lip trills
*Laryngeal massage
*"Diction" app which is a vocal warm-up produced by Elaine Clark

Anyone else feel they need to do more as they get older?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokyofan wrote:

Anyone else feel they need to do more as they get older?

There so many things I need to do less of as I get older too.

First, be sure you’re not doing something to hurt or strain your vocal folds. Some people “squeeze” their throat to get a certain sound. That puts some hurt on one’s instrument.

I sing some mornings to loosen things up, such as classic Broadway songs. “Oh What a Beautiful Morning” from “Oklahoma” has a nice warmup range.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: