VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why does my mic make this sound?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Why does my mic make this sound? Reply with quote

It has been a REALLY long time since I've heard this sound come out of a microphone and I'm blanking on what it might mean.

It is a Lauten Audio Atlantis running through a Warm Audio TB-12 preamp. Switching to another microphone eliminates that sound completely which isolates it to the microphone itself.

This is intermittent. It is not constant at all but when it hits it lasts for a few minutes at a stretch. Hasn't interrupted a session -yet- but I'm getting nervous.

Any thoughts from those who might have been through this?

(the brief swishy sound was NOT part of the mic noise, that was my hand accidentally brushing against my sweater...)

https://soundcloud.com/boss-haus-studios/why-does-my-mic-make-this-noise?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thought is a bad cable or connector. Do you have a mic switch in the booth? They can get loosey goosey. If you haven't done it yet, switch out the cable first.

If that isn't it, then try tapping the mic body when the hiss happens. If it goes away or changes, it could be something in the mic itself. But I'm betting on cabling.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack's onto something with cables and connections first.

I used to have compact florescent bulbs in my studio's drop ceiling which brought them close to my mic when I stood at the mic boom. The sound was not much different than the one you're experiencing.

I also would not rule out aliens. That sound is similar to the first radio signals from the bad guys in the movie Independence Day.

If that's the case bring in Will Smith. He can slap those aliens into submission.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce is cold blooded and I am HERE FOR IT.

I'll double check the mic and connectors first. And bypass the switch. ALTHOUGH I will say that when I switched to the second mic, there was no sound, and switching back brought it back. So it's narrowed down to the mic or the cable. It would be the first Mogami cable I've ever had trouble with...

I appreciate the suggestion for tapping the mic too. I hadn't thought of that to see how it reacts to see if maybe there's something inside trying to explode.

Appreciate the feedback!
Mark Farrell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple mics that are prone to moisture collecting on the capsule. The bias voltage on the capsule doesn't like moisture and the mics will make noises like rushing wind or crackles and pops when it occurs. Your Lauten may have some moisture on the capsule from the way it sounds. I've been drying out my mics by placing them in a ziplock back with some silica desiccant packs for a couple of days. Alternatively placing the mic in a warm, dry location may also dry it out. Do you use a pop filter which helps reduce moisture from the mouth?
If it occurs often store the mic in a ziplock bag with a desiccant pack.
What I use...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DDYFNS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Perhaps Lauten mics attract moisture as this is my Lauten LA-220 being dried out a while back....
https://imgur.com/iEGc7SA
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, you're a lifesaver. I never would have thought about moisture accumulation as I do -not- use a pop filter unless I'm singing really loud.

If it turns out that it's not the cable, I'm going to try the silica gel trick. I suspect that will be significantly less hassle than trying to send something in for repair. Especially if it works!

But yeah, the rushing wind and crackle/pop (all it needs is a snap and it's a breakfast food) describe the sound perfectly.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loving this thread! i use those same silica packs for ammo storage.

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me not to attack Todd's house without a lot of backup.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're coming up the lane ... call first.

JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George... did you solve this?

I'm voting moisture or possibly a failing semiconductor in the mic...

I had a problem with a 1980's AKG 451 ck22 (an omni mic I use several of in classical recording). it was like this but MASSIVELY LOUDER... like full- level thunder/waterfall noise.
Sent it to John Peluso ( a small mic manufacturer on the east coast of the USA) who dehumidified it (some magical vacuum chamber or such) and found nothing further wrong with it.
It's sounding fab now.
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... oh... and I;m routing all further cross-country trips at least a county or 2 north of Todd's Place...
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, thanks for asking!

I just got it back from Lauten Audio and there was some debris on the diaphragm and if the booth got a bit humid the moisture was causing for a pretty lethal combination. The debris was cleaned off by them and shipped back. I have not had a chance to get everything set up since it returned but that will be happening soon.

I will DEFINITELY be doing a better job of keeping it dust and debris free going forward. I paid a price for laziness and that's not happening again. Proper caring and feeding of the mic is the order of business.

(for penance, i wrote a blog post about it for monday. it's like writing my name on the wall a few dozen times)
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi-tasking is often a good idea George, but you may want to rethink the combination voiceover studio and woodworking shop.

Wink

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: