VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Union, nonunion, "no union"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Union, nonunion, "no union" Reply with quote

Out of curiosity and because I find it interesting:

Audiobooks do not fall under SAG-AFTRA jurisdiction, though there are union contracts with some publishers. Cable shows are "no union" as well (some or all?). Are there other genres of VO that are neither union nor nonunion, but simply have never been under union rules?
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not do audio books, but I know many union actors who voice union audio books all the time. So, there is a contract somewhere.

There's a difference between non-union and non-jurisdictional. Non-jurisdictional just means the union and the buyers have never created a collectively bargained agreement. It's very complicated and any good agent will be able to tell their client what is/isn't non-union vs non-jurisdictional.

If there's a union actor here who questions whether a gig or audition is non-union or non-jurisdictional, they should contact Treslyn in the VO Department at SAG-AFTRA. She can also better answer this question than I.

Treslyn Williams (She/Her)

National Director

Voiceover Department

Treslyn.Williams@sagaftra.org
(323) 634-8163 Direct

(310) 200-0225 Cell
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a hodge-podge. Interestingly though, many cable shows are produced by unionized crews and editors, but feature non union talent.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
many cable shows are produced by unionized crews and editors, but feature non union talent

Late to the party but that's because there is no national contract for non-dramatic cable shows - reality, docs etc. Because there's not a national CBA (collective bargaining agreement) they're non-jurisdictional and can be done without being in violation. There are a number of areas where this is the case.

Quote:
Audiobooks do not fall under SAG-AFTRA jurisdiction

Audiobooks are negotiated with individual publishers and rights-holders. It's much like broadcast (news/traffic/wx reporters, anchors etc) Each TV or radio station is negotiated separately. There are no national CBA's . That's why you can hear your favorite talent on a union station and then hear them on a non-union station.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: