VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May I have some feedback please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrandonVO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: May I have some feedback please? Reply with quote

https://voca.ro/1m5dAPNk6g8v

This is a compilation of voiceover recordings I did today, may I have your kind feedback on above, please?
Thanks!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed with you until about 24 seconds.. Audio quality is not great, lots of pops etc.

Listen to the first 15 seconds of this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgwRz-2e1GQ

It's the opening to a song by The Carpenters. The voice of the "spoof" radio DJ is the group's Lead Guitarist. The song dates back to 1977 so, if we ignore the humour your adopted style is, and I could not believe when I looked at when the record was released, goes back 44 years!

Anyone looking to hire you needs to hear you. Just you. Keep working on that.

You are doing fine, it's just the switch in your Brain that reads "Now I get it!" hasn't been selected,yet. You'll get there.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good question for us to ask is what kind of voice work do you want to do in the future? Do you want to perform in Tamil, or Sinhala, or English? Do you want to be hired in Sri Lanka, India, Singapore, or around the world?

Right now your work is at a level that might be appropriate for a small radio station in a rural part one of those countries, but you've got a long way to go before you can be considered for work in major cities or in international arenas. What kind of work do you want to do?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
BrandonVO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
A good question for us to ask is what kind of voice work do you want to do in the future? Do you want to perform in Tamil, or Sinhala, or English? Do you want to be hired in Sri Lanka, India, Singapore, or around the world?

Right now your work is at a level that might be appropriate for a small radio station in a rural part one of those countries, but you've got a long way to go before you can be considered for work in major cities or in international arenas. What kind of work do you want to do?

B

I'd like to do VO work in English for Sri lankan brands, and of course I'd welcome the opportunity to work in the Western market as well.
Also, what ought I to work on in my voiceover style?
Do I for example approach the Voiceover script as an actor would a movie script? I have some training in theatre and film acting, but very little in voiceovers. If I could apply that training to my VO process would that be beneficial?
BrandonVO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
I stayed with you until about 24 seconds.. Audio quality is not great, lots of pops etc.

Listen to the first 15 seconds of this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgwRz-2e1GQ

It's the opening to a song by The Carpenters. The voice of the "spoof" radio DJ is the group's Lead Guitarist. The song dates back to 1977 so, if we ignore the humour your adopted style is, and I could not believe when I looked at when the record was released, goes back 44 years!

Anyone looking to hire you needs to hear you. Just you. Keep working on that.

You are doing fine, it's just the switch in your Brain that reads "Now I get it!" hasn't been selected,yet. You'll get there.

The youtube video isnt available in my country unfortunately.
Was that a trailer/narration?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video Philip linked has a disc jockey type character announcing songs with a loud, yelling voice, which is what you were doing in the.sample you posted. That’s a style still used even in the U.S. in smaller market radio stations but it’s not the normal style used in commercials broadcast on nationwide networks, and those are the announcing jobs that pay a lot more.

Listen critically to English language commercials on networks and cable channels with national and global reach. Those are the styles you should try to emulate.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: