VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booth recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Booth recommendations Reply with quote

The wife and I are starting to talk seriously about getting a booth.
I'm wondering what everyone else here is using and recommends.
Thanks
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioBricks is one that I see in zoom calls on a fairly regular basis.

If you have the means and the skills, a custom built room that avoids parallel walls is going to serve you well.

If I didn't already have access to a Whisper Room that I had to fully deck out with insulation in order to make it serviceable, I'd definitely go with just about anything else entirely. It works but it took too much work to get it functional.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, George.
I also keep seeing Studiobricks. Wish they were a little more affordable but if it's working for people then I guess you can't argue with that.

Anyone use or now of experiences with Vocalbooth.com booths?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve grown to hate audio booths over the years, especially In Arizona where I started. Talk about a human sized Instapot! Record for ten minutes, then wave the door open and closed for five minutes to refresh the air and repeat. I had to have an open room for my workspace.

Depending upon what’s already available in your chosen recording space you might be able to do it simply and for less. I chose a downstairs bedroom in our condo we’re renting. It had short shag carpeting, an important first step. The room is roughly ten foot by ten foot and I purchased ten feet of curtains from a home store for each the North and South walls. They’re red velvet so the fuzz helps dampen the sound bounce. I started with quilts on the remaining bare walls, also with a fuzzy surface exposed. This worked well. I then bought eight 4x2 foot sound absorbing panels to replace the quilts. It sounds great. There’s lots of open wall space and there is NO sound dampening on the ceiling, as in a “cloud”.

You don’t have to make your space dead, just prevent sound reflections.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
Your setup sounds KINDA like my current one. I’ve got reflections taken care of but am needing isolation, hence the BOOF!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you isolating from? Kids upstairs, landscapers next door? Airport noise? Turkeys in the parking lot? (See Mike Harrison for that one)

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Kids upstairs, landscapers next door? Airport noise? Turkeys in the parking lot? (See Mike Harrison for that one)B

Yes
No
Yes
Gobble
Wife 'work-screaming' upstairs
BALKY
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am stuck with WR... until the day I sign off LOL

I got it in 2009... That was one of the best options then. Should I have to shop today, I'd go with the brick, of course. I love the way it looks, and probably sounds just as good Smile

Whisper R people tricked me somewhat into getting this big ass booth 4x6 - I love it, though. Yet, 4x4 probably would have been just fine.

Ever since 2009 - I have no bedroom. Now it is the OFFICE. LOL
Greeting: https://vimeo.com/216249549
Source-Connect: voservices
VIDEO: https://vimeo.com/channels/russianvoice
AUDIO: http://audio.russianvoice4u.com
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: StudioBricks booths (StudioBricks One or One Plus double-walled model)
Pros:
-Best looking product, fits into an upscale, modern home beautifully
-In its latest iteration of the Voiceover Edition, using their own PET felt acoustic panels, it includes excellent acoustics “out of the box”, requiring no tuning or guesswork
-Best doors of ANY pre-fabricated booth, extremely impressive latching system and hardware
-Very good isolation performance in the base, double-wall model. On par with premium level models from other companies
-Ventilation is OK, not best in class but at least can be set to an “inaudible” level
-Eco-friendly materials in the 2022 model have extremely low VOC content, low odor without off-gassing
-Extremely high resale value
-Price if you DO consider the competition with similar attributions, namely double-walled construction
-Most of the pieces are manageable by a single person
-If you get trapped inside you can disassemble it from the inside with no tools!
Cons:
-Wait time can be several weeks to several months depending on inventory in the US or customizations from the factory
-Customer service can be frustrating as they are sometimes overwhelmed with orders
-Logistics can be a handful with a lot of “back and forth” with StudioBricks and various companies involved with transporting the product to your home
-Delivery drivers may be incapable of a safe delivery if your street and driveway aren’t level
-Price if you don’t consider the competition with similar attributions.
-Pieces are finished in paint so they can be easily damaged in shipping, assembly or relocation (touch-up paint is included)
-The Pro triple-wall version doesn’t provide a noticeable improvement over the standard double-wall model in the critical low-mid frequency range (100-150hz), at some frequencies performing worse than the double-wall design.

2: WhisperRoom
Pros:
-Excellent customer service
-Rapid shipping in most cases as they are modular and kept in stock in Tennessee.
-Entry-level, single-walled models are relatively price-conscious
-Even single-walled models can provide effective reduction of noise (ask us first to evaluate your needs properly)

-Very long, consistent track record as a company (20+ years)
-Can be upgraded from a standard, single-wall configuration to the enhanced, double-wall system at any time after installation
Cons:
-Acoustic treatment isn’t adequate without improvement or factory upgrades (I did hear a voice over edition recently that sounded fine)
-Ventilation noise needs improvement to be useable while recording (although this may have changed with improvements to Scott’s design)
-Somewhat difficult to move since the sections are so large, but wrapped in tough carpet so they are unlikely to be damaged in transit
-Smelly carpet

3: Scott’s VO Booths
Pros:
-Value is unbeatable, Scott isn’t out there to make a killing on this booths, but serve the voiceover community
-Customization for your needs available affordably
-Acoustic tuning is additional, but can be guaranteed to suit your situation by our acoustic tuning service
Cons:
-Can take quite a while to receive since they are built to order in most cases
-Acoustic treatment isn’t included in the price
-Ventilation noise needs improvement to be useable while recording (although this may have changed with improvements to Scott’s design)
-Difficult to disassemble and move since the pieces are so large
-Smelly carpet

4: VocalBooth

Pros:
-Unique Diamond series shape can be space-effective in a corner
-Platinum series provides good isolation
-Upgraded ventilation system is best in the business because it uses 6” ducts for slow moving, large volume of air
-Base models are rather affordable

Cons:
-Include acoustic foam is permanently glued to the wall and quite ineffective for voiceover, which also makes it harder to treat properly
-More difficult to assemble/disassemble than WR or SB
-Hard to relocate due to very large pieces
-Smelly carpet
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thorough response, George.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come close to buying a booth several times. But dimensional limitations always present a challenge. And, after looking at every booth available, and talking it over with the owner of one of the studios I regularly connect to, I finally decided to pass on the booth idea altogether.

That studio owner, who built his facility from the dirt up and runs a multi-million dollar, multi room, multi function studio, says my room sounds great and a pre fab booth would only introduce comb filtering into my recordings and give me a 'boxed in' sound. So I stayed with the 'gobo' set up that I've used for years. No, it's not total isolation but it is great at absorbing and eliminating reflection. After so many years of doing this I can hear the booth boxiness and even glass reflection on VO that is broadcast across the media spectrum. Once you recognize the sound of it, you'll notice it everywhere.

And there are some great options to eliminating unwanted noise. Not gates but very effective noise suppression. Cedar noise reduction is hands down the best out there. It's pricey but it absolutely works. And if you are a UA Apollo user, you can now get the Cedar VOX real time plug in and say goodbye to Mic hiss, room noise, outside noise, HVAC noise, it's all history.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Mbvoxx. Great input here. Looking to cut out noises from upstairs and my daughter dropping stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: