VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How important is your preamp?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewpeters

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: How important is your preamp? Reply with quote

https://www.theproaudiosuite.com/podcast/episode/1ac06205/matching-a-mic-and-pre
We spend so much time when it comes to making a decision on the right mic we are about to spend a large chunk of cash on for our studio. But when it comes to the mic pre, we sometimes don't spend as much time procrastinating. Truth is, a pre can colour the sound of your audio more than the mic. In this episode, we check out a few pre's and the way they taint the mics 'clean' sound. We talk about how to set one up, and what you should be listening for when shopping for your next one.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Thanks for the interesting podcast Reply with quote

Enjoyed the Podcast, thanks !

Good to know that I am not the only one who was “satisfied “ with a microphone and then about 8 weeks later gets tempted by some newcomer on the block.

Back in April I picked up the Focusrite Red 7 Smile Best micpre I’ve ever used.

Love how it sounds with the 416, and every other mic. I am satisfied, and I really mean it !

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
andrewpeters

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 7’s are really nice.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like microphones, spending huge sums on a preamp (i.e. $2,300) is really unnecessary for anyone other than the wealthiest voice actors who have money to burn. Can we get some recommendations for under $300 here?

Thanks!

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
andrewpeters

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under $300, SSL2. I have one of these and they are great. The 4K button gives the pre a vintage SSL sound from their 4000 series of consoles, it also has plenty of gain. The only thing I wish it had is an on off switch.
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to Bruce's question above - this just in from Sweetwater:

Universal Audio-Volt

Even the "low-end" models look promising, but I'm waiting to see how they prove themselves before even thinking about trying one out. Wink cool
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the vintage construction!

since i will soon be re-working my entire studio around a mac mini m1, i will be watching this space. i'm looking to replace a rack the size of a steamer trunk with something along the lines of a handbag.

Nik S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Just like microphones, spending huge sums on a preamp (i.e. $2,300) is really unnecessary for anyone other than the wealthiest voice actors who have money to burn. Can we get some recommendations for under $300 here?

Thanks!

Bruce

Under $300? What do you have now, just the ones in your interface? I've heard some of the ART stuff can be reasonably good for the money but if you want something that actually sounds properly good then keep your eyes out for a used SCA N72 ready-built 'one shot', they occasionally come up on Reverb. Other than that I'd probably look at upgrading interface. What do you use now?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a MOTU Audio Express, a preamp and digital interface all in one for $395. Their Audio Desk software comes free with it. I’ve been using that software and other MOTU devices for 20+ years now and done just about every kind of work we do without a negative issue on either side of the mic.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755766-REG/MOTU_8456_Audio_Express_6x6_Firewire_USB.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5JSLBhCxARIsAHgO2SdZdg8LUKLnpsTVKks_NT0t-qx17A34pLCF0qmAIhVdoparg4UxgTcaAtbwEALw_wcB

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
jim edgar
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewpeters wrote:
Under $300, SSL2. I have one of these and they are great. The 4K button gives the pre a vintage SSL sound from their 4000 series of consoles, it also has plenty of gain. The only thing I wish it had is an on off switch.

Yeah... that glowing green LED always makes me want to have it sleep.
But, honestly why in the name of all that is holy did they not put a 48V status light onto each channel?
Though you can see the button, it would just be so much simpler for them to have added that...
Nik S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I use a MOTU Audio Express, a preamp and digital interface all in one for $395. Their Audio Desk software comes free with it. I’ve been using that software and other MOTU devices for 20+ years now and done just about every kind of work we do without a negative issue on either side of the mic.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755766-REG/MOTU_8456_Audio_Express_6x6_Firewire_USB.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5JSLBhCxARIsAHgO2SdZdg8LUKLnpsTVKks_NT0t-qx17A34pLCF0qmAIhVdoparg4UxgTcaAtbwEALw_wcB

B

I've had motu here over the years too, very solid.
After your last sentence I suppose the next question is, "then why?"
Particularly with external pres the point seems to be their particular character so starting with what you think you want and what is known to suit your mic is the way to go.
More ideas here too https://www.themusickitchen.com/mic-pre/best-mic-preamps-under-300/

You could also demo some plugin emulations to get a feel for the different styles and even end up just thinking you might as well save your money. All fine options.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ancient motu just sits in the rack & works.

downside - i gotta buy firewire cables at yard sales.
upside - they're only a quarter

Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, I also have the SSL2 and love it. Nice clean sound but not very punchy, even with the tasty 4K harmonic distortion. Perfect for long form narration and eLearning?

When I want something with more punch and character, I use my Golden Age Pre 73 Mk III which goes for $350. With my shotgun and other mics the SSL picks up a wider sound and more of the room. The Golden Age sounds more focused.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance Blair wrote:
Bruce, I also have the SSL2 and love it. Nice clean sound but not very punchy, even with the tasty 4K harmonic distortion. Perfect for long form narration and eLearning?

Sometimes when I want something with more punch and character, I use my Golden Age Pre 73 Mk III which goes for $350. With my shotgun and other mics the SSL picks up a wider sound and more of the room. The Golden Age sounds more focused.

But honestly, you know what I like better than that preamp? My plugins!
The saturation/thump feature on my Scheps Omni Channel plugin is perfect for voice and it was only $69 on sale. My Waves CLA-2A run as a gentle limiter also gives the voice more presence and sheen and again, only $29 on sale. Subtle, but if I process at all I do it subtly.
tokyofan
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Lance: can you bypass the pres in the SSL2+ (when you use the GAP) or do you just turn the gain down on the stock pres?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: