VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Way OT: A baking question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Way OT: A baking question Reply with quote

I'm going to attempt to duplicate a family favorite: brownies. But I'm unfamiliar with one thing: the instruction "Melt margarine and chocolate and blend well." I've already found several suggested procedures for melting the chocolate (without scorching or seizing it) but, because I've never melted margarine before, can I assume it's just going to go all liquid? Any suggestions (or requests for the recipe) would be most welcome.

Many thanks!

Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw the margarine away and use butter. But, seriously, best way to melt margarine is in a microwave- :10-:30 seconds at a time. Stirring in between goes. Much like the chocolate, you want to keep an eye on it so it doesn't get nasty while you're melting it.
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh- and yes, I'd love a copy of the recipe please. I love family/vintage recipes. I have a collection of 'church ladies' cookbooks, the kind churches put together for fundraisers, full of old family recipes.
Laugh
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded on wanting the recipe. Laugh I love baking*

Seconded also on ditching margarine and using butter instead almost all the time. HOWEVER. Using butter vs using margarine vs using crisco creates some consistency differences. Example: my wife's favorite oatmeal cookies are made with crisco because she likes them to be chewy. When I use butter instead they tend to get crispier.

If you want to combine your fat source (margarine) with chocolate and melt together the way -I- would do it (read: the boring way), get a pot on the stove with a little water in it, find a glass/pyrex mixing bowl that is larger than the radius of the pot, put your chocolate and margarine in the mixing bowl, turn up the heat, and use the secondary heat to melt but not destroy those two items. Alternative double boiler.

* like, actual baking of food items. not what the kids mean when they say baking. i think.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may try a version using butter in the future but, for now, I want to try to duplicate a brownie I last experienced in the mid-70s.

The recipe for the brownies, as well as a few other nifties my mom would often make (although I do not know if they are her own recipes), is here.

Thanks for the feedback!

George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah that's going to be delicious. Those sour cream twists look out of this world too.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to melt the chocolate in the microwave, do it at 50% power. And no more than 30-45 seconds at a time before checking it. The margarine (or butter) will, indeed, turn to liquid, which is exactly what you want. As I'm sure you know, that bakers chocolate is the unsweetened kind.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's a good reminder Lee. I missed that it was bakers chocolate on the first read. Important detail, given that other forms likely are already sweetened and would make for a very puckering experience at the end result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: