VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO coach won't name a couple customers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allowing for a triple portion of benefit of the doubt with chocolate sauce, few people engaged in Voice Coaching/training actually offer real, applicable skills from which students can derive value.

You are in front of your Investment Broker and having told him you need $120 by the end of the year you're waiting for his reply.

"Focus on that goal! Every day move one step forward until that dream becomes a reality!"

You look him straight in the eye.

"Kevin, you're a tw*t!"

Most people pay their VO Coach far more for far less. Why would anyone do that? Fear, that's it, fear. Most failed or failing Sales people hang around the office talking about the big deal they did five years ago holding the Trainee Sales people in awe of their greatness; sound familiar? Why aren't they out there using their knowledge to get more sales? Because their big deal was more luck than skill and they are frightened of talking to decision makers because the answer may be no.

Do you know the term used by big pharma to describe how a drug works?

The mechanism of action. ACTION.

NOT MOTIVATION OR INACTION!

It's raining heavily in Portgordon and Bess wants to go out.

A - Believe that my negativity stands in the way then chant positive statements?

B - Put on my coat?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned over the ages that engaging the most famous VO coaches has the benefit of providing one with connections and introductions you might not get elsewhere. This presumes you have what the coach thinks it takes to be introduced to "the bigtime".

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Bish on this. But not just for privacy or confidentially, as that is indeed a very important factor.

Not all who study with any coach are going to work. That's show biz. And getting work should not be the incentive for an actor to study with anyone or any genre of acting. Study is for craft, for learning. Getting work goes beyond study. Some great actors don't work, and some mediocre actors have great careers.

In 35 years of coaching I can count on less than 2 hands those who have gone on to have great careers. A good number never work. And everyone else fall somewhere in between.

I was fortunate to have studied acting with some terrific and respected coaches. They weren't for everyone. But they would pass on a student who asked for referrals, past student testimonials, or names of those who got work. Huge red flag if a coach used past student successes as incentives to get more students. How arrogant to take the credit for a student's bookings! And legit coaches knew all of this was unethical. This was all before the internet, when reaching out to other actors for coaching suggestions was not as easy as it is today where all are a mouse click away. But, a smart student just made it work and found em.

Just ask working actors whom they studied with. Don't ask those on the same or smaller boat than you. Ask those at the top of their game. Those who have the career you want, in a market you want to work, and the genre/level of vo you want to work. You will hear the same names/coaches over and over. And, you may work with one of those coaches who doesn't float your boat. You may work with one no one ever mentioned whom you love. And strive to be a great actor, not a working actor. Those who are great stand a better chance of getting work.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a hugely relevant practical point being missed. By knowing both the Coach and the identity of the students helps with the costs of litigation. Class action suits are awesome!

Serious point for those who have never seen "Miracle on the Hudson"

The X factor was not the aeroplane, the training or other members of the crew it was Capt Sullenberger.

"Remove him from the equation and the math just don't work!"

What is the best we can expect from talking with a student of a particular coach? They weren't ripped off and they travelled along the road of discovery. Anything beyond that is a happy bonus.

BTW sign up now for my double your voiceover income class and get 10 awesome job vouchers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: