VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOVAS - Devil or Prophet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: SOVAS - Devil or Prophet? Reply with quote

SOVAS, one of those loved/hated organizations in our business, published an article that some feel says Artificial Intelligence voices are an established part of our world now and we should get used to it and join in. Your thoughts are welcome.

https://www.sovas.org/ai-voice-actors-sound-more-human-than-ever-and-theyre-ready-to-hire/?fbclid=IwAR06TBHhnwIPOHbu5EjL6alTEdTgxVP0c3u_3tKMhjs2gro6vccOauNtAVw

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When, and to what degree, AI will impact traditional VO work is hotly (and endlessly) debated. There is no doubt that it's getting better all the time, and some segments of the marketplace have embraced it already as a cost-cutting measure. It's a thing that we all need to be aware of... whether or not you believe it will result in a dramatic, or somewhat inconsequential impact on your own career. That debate rages elsewhere.

SoVAS is an organization that purports to support the VO industry (if only to provide everyone an opportunity to put on a posh frock and grab an award). In reality, they seem more of a marketing vehicle for demo producers, VO coaches, and management services. By sending out this "get over yourselves" message, they show themselves to be completely tone-deaf to the community they supposedly support.

But there again, some think that's what they've always been.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any VO doing, for want of a better expression, utility voice work is already feeling the pinch because no performance is needed, AI is good enough to get the information across. Were it possible to offer an IFAI voice (Intuitive Feeling AI)then we would have reason to be concerned.

The more we keep ourselves isolated, we love to type but increasingly are reluctant to talk to each other in real time, the more we will crave and appreciate real Human contact. Voice Over people selling their utility will need to find other things to do. Those who bring their hearts, minds, souls ,wit, wisdom and tears to even the most simple of jobs will be worthy of a pay cheque for as long as they are able to perform.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
they seem more of a marketing vehicle for demo producers, VO coaches, and management services.

How long before we start seeing ads for "How to Win Auditions for AI" courses and demos?
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: