VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pop filter for 416
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nik S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
The HOOK shotgun pop screen (comes in double and TRIPLE layers ) damned well works.
Aside from the 416 (I use it on a AKG ck8) it fits any similar-diameter mic... I have it currently on a Neumann km84 (a stunningly honest but severely plosive-sensitive small cardioid) as a compare-and-contrast experiment with the 102 against several other other small diameter mics as a voice option test. including a collection of AKG 535.s with the grille head removed.
It's fascinaitng to me how the frequency and shape and sound of the proximity bass boost happens with different mics happens.

The problem I found with the Hook filter is that it's in physical contact with the mic body. While it might not be very audible most of the time, every time it stops a pop sound it's dissipating that energy somewhere - through the rubber grips around the mic and vibrating its body. I first noticed/understood that doing some kind of loud character read and wondered what the sound was. Changed the 416 angle etc and lost any kind of filter and it's all good.
This point goes for any pop screen really - don't have it physically connected to your mic stand, boom or whatever because somewhere it's resonating through to your mic.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Nik. The Hook filter is great but there's always something a bit altered-sounding about it. I prefer direct foam pop-filters. The resonance is spread over the surface area of the mic so it's not as noticeable/more natural. Now, you will lose a little of the very high end. But I hear they have something called EQ that can handle that.

The metal pop filter on my Rode NT1 really affects the low end in weird ways. The Rode foam pop filer ($25) sounds a lot better.

I have a NTG3 not a 416 and yes, just tilting the angle fixes plosives. But for the times I want to voice straight to the end of it, the Hook is decent, but the foam pop filter is just as good. Better in some ways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: