VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

...featuring the one-and-only Philip Banks!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: ...featuring the one-and-only Philip Banks! Reply with quote

Dear VO-BB,

It is my honor and privilege to present mr. Philip Banks to the all-voice media podcast

Philip answers common questions for both 'Beginner' and 'Intermediate' VO artists, and as only he can.

Have you ever heard so much candor with so little swearing?

Enjoy!

https://anchor.fm/all-voice-media/episodes/AVMPC-Episode-23-The-titan-of-Portgordon--the-moderator-of-the-vo-bb-com--Mr--Philip-Banks-egsk3d[url] Shocked [/url]
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K? K? I thought I knew most of Banksey's secrets. Obviously not all. What does the K stand for? Kracken? Certainly in the right part of the world.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM Mr Philip K Banks BA BA Black Sheep Have U N E Wooll
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
I AM Mr Philip K Banks BA BA Black Sheep Have U N E Wooll

but.. good godman... where IS your 'accent' from that you can be this insignificantly- so disamericanish DEEP godnmongmen VOICEY-THING?
Thanksbye....

move along...
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born and raised in a small village called Ilchester in the county of Somerset, South West of England. Cider, cheese and farming country. Father was a Yorkshireman from Leeds, city north west of England. Mother brought up 5 miles from Ilchester, Yeovil in Somerset. Her work during and after the war (WWII) made it essential to move her accent to one that was acceptable to people who had Butlers, rode to hounds and sent their children away to school from the age of 6 years until they were 42 married with 5 children and knew that it was ok to shoot people who were either foreign or knew someone who was. I attended Oxford University, went on to become a Barrister but was diverted into the heady world of Investment Banking so I simply sound polite yet with the depth required to reassure people that whilst I would eat their children I would choose a good wine and use the correct cutlery.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
...made it essential to move her accent to one that was acceptable to people who had Butlers, rode to hounds and sent their children away to school from the age of 6 years....

One of the best examples of a human being is naturalized US citizen Brit-born Fiona Hill - former White House National Security Council official and Russia expert, who provided such spot on and scathing testimony as a witness in the impeachment hearings. It was HER story though that really touched me. Daughter of a coal miner and midwife she spoke of how her accent would never - in the UK - have permitted her to rise above her station. When she applied to Oxford they laughed at her accent and clothing. Ultimately she ended up getting a masters at Harvard. And rose to the top of her game. Here, in the US.

I'm not saying no one here cares about accents. That wouldn't be true. People are judged on their accents all the time. I chalk it up to that Americans simply can't tell the difference among British accents. All of them impress us - Rolls Eyes Rolls Eyes Rolls Eyes
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but going to Oxford is no guarantee of intelligent verbalization later in life. Take Louisiana Senator John Kennedy, please:

Quote:
...In 1979, he earned a Bachelor of Civil Law degree with first class honours from Oxford University (Magdalen College) in England. Wikipedia

But then he gets on the TeeVee and sounds like a hillbilly:

https://youtu.be/1jToKF9r-RQ?t=2

He says he does that because he wants his working class constituents to understand him. Proper English would leave them behind.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old boss Sir John Templeton was the same. A Rhodes Scholar at Oxford and talked like he has rudimentary Banjo skills.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i moved from Southern Illinois (i capitalize the "S" because i believe it SHOULD be) to chicago in the early '90s. they (chicagoians) thought i was from alabama. i worked very hard to remove my kentucky-esque twang. it still comes out when i'm pissed (drunk OR angry).

iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHIIYYAAANNTIII

Thanks again for the interview, Philip!

Here's Pt. II of our interview:

https://anchor.fm/all-voice-media/episodes/AVMPC-episode-24-Philip-Banks-Pt--II--Yanks-becoming-British-and-the-only-marketing-secret-youll-ever-need-eh6qtr

Philip Banks wrote:
I was born and raised in a small village called Ilchester in the county of Somerset, South West of England. Cider, cheese and farming country. Father was a Yorkshireman from Leeds, city north west of England. Mother brought up 5 miles from Ilchester, Yeovil in Somerset. Her work during and after the war (WWII) made it essential to move her accent to one that was acceptable to people who had Butlers, rode to hounds and sent their children away to school from the age of 6 years until they were 42 married with 5 children and knew that it was ok to shoot people who were either foreign or knew someone who was. I attended Oxford University, went on to become a Barrister but was diverted into the heady world of Investment Banking so I simply sound polite yet with the depth required to reassure people that whilst I would eat their children I would choose a good wine and use the correct cutlery.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
... i capitalize the "S" because i believe it SHOULD be
Considering the frequency with which Todd uses capital letters, I take this very seriously indeed.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true. i REALLY want to distinguish between the wonderful place that i live and the city 320 miles to the north.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Podcast x 2

It's just me, warts n all.
I have no slick rehearsed answers but thinking on my feet I'll try to come up with meaningful replies; it isn't my place to say whether they are or not.

I really am Silas Marner.

"Marner, what think ye Sir of the state o'the Weaving Industry?"

The old man looks at his equally old but content dog sleeping by the fire. Upon the table there is a jug of Ale beside a bowl of hot soup, served with freshly baked bread. In the corner of his modest dwelling there is weaving to be done and weaving ready to be collected. The shiney sixpenny piece in the pocket of his breeches, sufficient for the day.

"Today? Fine enough for me and Bess! The morrow? Should I wake, we shall wait and see what that day brings."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: