VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adobe Audition CS6 for Mac sluggish editing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Adobe Audition CS6 for Mac sluggish editing Reply with quote

My Mac mini's got 16GB of RAM but, for some reason, after performing only a handful of edits, Adobe Audition quickly becomes very sluggish when editing: whether simply deleting several seconds of audio or doing an autoheal, etc. Upon initiating a delete or autoheal, for example, the app responds immediately by putting the little progress thingy on the screen, but it takes at least two seconds or more before the action actually takes place.

I have only the one file open, no other hungry apps running, and have even run some "cleaning and pruning" procedures.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something simple to start with might be cleaning/defragging/enlarging the temp file where AA stores audio. Probably better brains than mine will follow up with better suggestions.

When I accidentally screw around with AA, getting someplace that I don't know the undo procedure, and can't spare the time, frustration, and/or brain power to figure out how to "undo" whatever weird thing I did that got me there in the first place, I will uninstall and reinstall the program. Usually clears up the problemo pronto. I've had to do this maybe twice in 10 years.

dwpthe3rd
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is your Mac Mini? My first one starting to slow down after about 5 years or so. Also, I would update to the latest version of AA. If you have a later version that you have to pay for annually that shouldn't be a problem. I would start with that and then go from there with the cleaning of files etc.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR - go back to AA3 --- super solid build.

Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I should've said that this issue seems to come and go. Generally, everything works fine.

Dave, at least on Macs, Audition gives users a primary and secondary location for the temp files, which are created the moment the app is launched and deleted when quitting. Audition apparently uses whatever space it needs for these temp files. I have several external drives; two of which contain client audio. I save files to the "A" drive and back up to the "B" drive. I chose the "B" drive as the temp file's primary location and the "A" drive for the secondary. Apparently, the secondary location is used only when the primary is not available.

Glenn, I've had this Mac mini since October 26, 2012. But have been a Mac user since December 1987. I've not experienced any of them slowing down as time goes by, at least not related to memory or processing. Prior to OS X, if the internal hard drive didn't have much free space and/or was heavily fragmented, that could have made reading and writing slower, but I've not had anything like that. However, cache files, if not cleared from time to time, CAN slow things down. I use a utility called Onyx to run a series of routines to clear things out every month.

Todd, I've never used AA3, but I've seen you recommend it several times. I almost wish I could find a reliable download source to try it.

todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - i'm afraid i don't know about that. i've had mine on a back-up machine forever.

Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, I'm afraid, even if I were to find a download source, that installing it would create other headaches (installing over a newer release; serial number/registration issues, etc.) I had a hell of a time reverting to CS 6 after I had tried Creative Cloud for a year. Adobe has a habit of burying files all over our hard drives.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: