VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A matter of mics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: A matter of mics Reply with quote

How many do you have? Condenser/Dynamic? Which one do you use the most?

I'm curious since I'm in a postion where I'll be using two mics. One dynamic (Sennheiser, work studio) and one condenser (NTK, home studio). I've read comments a few times now in the critique section about a demo sounding like it was all on the same mic.
Do you switch mics out for specific applications? One for imaging, one for narration, etc? Or are you simply a "collector"? Laugh

Last edited by tackerman on Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One mic, it's a condenser, Neumann U87. Apart from having a spare mic in case my main one developes a fault I have no need of a selection.

The comments in the critique section about demos sounding like they were made using the same mic really don't matter, such a subtlety is another bit of decoration on a demo. If people use such a reason as "same mic sound" not to hire you they were looking for a reason not to hire you in the first place.
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on, Banksey. One man, one mic!

I, too, believe that it is what you put into the mic that matters. The one I use the most is the Studio Projects C1 (condenser). It really does everything I need a mic to do.

I'm kind of a collector, so that explains the RCA 77 (dynamic). Others are the Studio Projects B1 (condenser), the Electro Voice RE20 (dynamic) and the Behringer XM8500 (dynamic). I also have an old Turner S22X (dynamic) from my dad's dance band from the 40's. Smile Haven't hooked it up in years. (can't find the cable) <g> Some 'yoots' record accoustic music here for fun so the selection is nice.

I have used certain mics or some narrations. One particular client loves the ribbon RCA sound and always requests it. The RE-20 is a standard radio mic. I've done some morning show bits and the client likes my being able to match what they have in studio.

When I was first geting started in radio in 1970 the engineer had just installed a very new and modern "slide pot board" in the AM control room. These were rare in 1970. So, to make the room look modern, he decided to use an Electro Voice 635 instead of the RCA 77 they had used. The announcer staff greatly protested and it was quickly replaced.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two and use them both. A U87 and a Sennheiser MKH-416. While the U87 get's the majority of the work, the 416 get's hard sell spots and rock imaging duty. It has a higher SPL so it handles the "SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY" spots better and has that in your face sound for the rock imaging.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two-- the Studio Projects C-1 and my God-Love-It RE20.
First one's the talker, 2nd is the shouter.

I want another C-1 so I can do stuff with my son. He's got a great voice and takes direction like a dream.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Phillip, one mic. Lawson L47FET. I do have a Sennheiser dynamic, E835S, that sits in it's box all the time.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use a single mike for essentially all of my work, an Audio Technica AT-4033. (Condenser)

On the shelf gathering dust are an EV RE-20 (Dynamic) and a CAD Equitek II (Condenser). I really should sell them since I never use them any more. I did like the RE-20 to shout into; but, I won't take those projects anymore.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a whole bunch, but only use a U87 with a TLM103 as backup. I used to record demos for people and had a variety of mics available in order to choose the one that worked best on any given individuals voice. It worked, but was ultimately pointless as none of the VO studios here will ever match a voice to a mic. They always use a U87, so I just stuck with that.

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Travis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the elements that make up a recording or playback system, the microphones, speakers, and the acoustic environment are the items that "color" the sound the most. Many times a microphone or speaker system will be chosen to work within a particular environment. Dynamic mics tend to be more rugged, but there are exceptions, Condensor mics tend to be "warmer" - due to their large diaphragms, but there are exceptions.

For a voice-artist, the choice of microphone is like the choice of a particular instrument maker for a musician. It depends not only on the sound and style of your particular voice, but also your tastes. A heavy metal rocker might choose a particular guitar due to the "brute force" sound it produces through a massive sound system, while a classical or jazz musician might choose an instrument for it's warmth.

A decision might also be made based on the work environment. An RE20/27 is very forgiving in terms of placement - you can be three feet away from the thing and, except for volume, it will sound the same as if you're 2 inches from it. -Not so for a U87.

Then, there are the listeners to consider. Everyone's different. If your customers have been to a lot of rock concerts, they're probably close to deaf in the high frequency ranges - they'll want to hear your spots over Yamaha speakers at 90dB - and you'll want a very "crisp" sounding mic. (Beyer ribbon or Senheiser ribbon/dynamic) On the other hand, if they can still hear, they'll probably prfer a very "mellow" sounding mic. (Neumans, Studio Projects etc.) Then, of course, everything changes when you mess with the EQ.

If your project is for AM radio - to be listened to in the car, you'll probably want a crisper mic. But again, that depends on how "crisp" your voice is.

Best thing to do - rent or borrow a mic, try it out in your studio, see if you like it.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Samson Q7 Neodymium Dynamic mic. Does anyone know if this is a high-output or low-output mic? I ask because I'm STILL trying to get rid of the hum in my system. I'm trying to figure out what my Presonus Inspire 1394 settings should be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On air, it's RE20s and a SM7. In our production house, we're using a Heil dynamic and an ADK condenser. Totally different tools for different jobs. Love em.
I'm looking for a deal on a Sennheiser MKH 416. If you know of one--email me.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have snatched up a Studio Projects C-1 when they were $199. Now I can't find them for less than $239 except on ebay. How does the B-1 sound compared to the C-1? Would an MXL-990s sound as good? Enquiring VO minds want to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: