VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commercial Demo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Commercial Demo Reply with quote

I've just got back from a two week holiday in the UK. I was there mainly to introduce my daughter to the family and give her some exposure to UK life.

While there I spent some time with the wonderful people at A1Vox (run by Charles Nove and his wife Jess - Thanks for the recommendation Banksey) who made a new commercial demo for me. I got it today and thought I should throw it into the lions den to see what happens.

Any and all comments appreciated.

Commercial Demo

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I'm not really worthy to offer a critique from a technical standpoint (all of which sounds fine to my less than golden ears) but my impression is that the performances are First Cabin from beginning to end. Very well done, sir.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maiku,

Very nice. But, I am bias, since I am a fan.

Dan
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best sort of demo. You don't notice the production and you're too busy enjoying the content to get distracted by the voice. Demo's like this get quality work. best of luck with it.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Love the demo, just a couple of comments...

1) To my ears there were too many "If's" in the sections - to me this was distrcting from the overall content of the demo.

2) Although beginning with a quiet spot and building is nice and I enjoyed the anticipation... I think something that has a little more 'life' would be a better beginning.

3) You have a really nice sound, but the demo sounded like this was recorded all at once, in the same studio, with the same microphone, and with the same 'feel'. A bit more variety would be nice and probably make your clients a lot happier to hire you.

All that said, I do enjoy your work, you have more talent than I have in my whole body - in your little finger... however, you need to "sell the sizzle, not the steak".

All right, now that I have made those comments and thoroughly embarrassed myself from this side of the pond, I do not know how things are done in Europe and in your neck of the woods... but this is based upon my experience in North America and minor dabblings into the EU.

Toodles

Humbly yours,
Frank F
Edo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolly good! I would probably book you for a session...
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Nice demo Mike Reply with quote

Mike,

I like it. You have some very good qualities and a real talent. I agree with Frank that it has a "sameness" quality to many of the cuts. The sound of your voice on the same mic, the music seemed similar on many cuts, and there could be more contrast in styles. Do you have some actual spots you have done you could mix in? Maybe use more variety in style and music. It is not bad by any means, but I know you and the studio are capable of more.

Greg
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, many thanks guys. I seriously appreciate all the comments.

I knew there would be a certain sameness to the sound as it was all recorded in the same studio at the same time. I personally don't really consider it as a problem. As Banksey has said in another thread.

Quote:
If people use such a reason as "same mic sound" not to hire you they were looking for a reason not to hire you in the first place.

Now, let's see if it leads anywhere.

Maiku

Murray Wiggle
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great Mike!

Knock back an Asahi for me while you're shopping it. I love Tokyo!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the subject arose... and I brought it up... the 'same mic" , is not the issue... the 'same-ness' IS. I mentioned the concept of the same mic only for context - same this, same that, same sound, same feel, same read... Your demo should showcase YOU and YOUR talent, I did not feel that this demo did that well.

Again, I stress the point of the same "feel and presentation" IS (in my humble opinion) the issue. Unless you are a 'one-trick pony", variety can be a good thing. Sell who YOU are and your talents.

Mike, I would be interested in how this compares (in your marketing efforts) to the demo which was on your website over the weekend. That demo had more style, variety, and personality. The demo talked about here and now - is flat, dull and lifeless in comparison.

I do - maybe - 80% of my work on one microphone - a U87 Gold. In one session I may have to give a variety of styles and feel. In a rercent session I was required to give the sincere, religious style, a friendly "happy-go-lucky" feel, a tender female oriented spot, and finally - a man-on-the-street spot. All on one mic and in the same studio and in the same session.

Your demo in question here... is all the same style... oh, yes there is an effort to do a little faster read in the end, but overall - what I am hearing is not your best work - - it is the same sound.

I am sorry if I confused the issue by the comment of "the same microphone". I do however stand-by what I stated.

Toodles

Frank F
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I remember listening to your old demo a while ago and hearing the Clarks Shoe spot, which really stuck with me (at least I hope that was you). I laughed for a few minutes at that one. Very clever.....If it was me, I would keep that one. Maybe at the end because of the laughter part, but that may stick with people and make them want to know more about you. Just some thoughts.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
Since the subject arose... and I brought it up... the 'same mic" , is not the issue... the 'same-ness' IS. I mentioned the concept of the same mic only for context - same this, same that, same sound, same feel, same read... Your demo should showcase YOU and YOUR talent, I did not feel that this demo did that well.

Sorry if I came across a little dismissive there. I really didn't read your comments as well as I should have (Like I've said before, if you really want my attention, type in Arial 18 point double spaced @ .30 PW Wink )

The decision to limit the range was a conscious one and came from the director. Since commercials make up only a small part of my workload, and those that I do are always within the range covered by that demo, I was happy to go along with the idea. Maybe it's a UK style issue.

Frank F wrote:
Mike, I would be interested in how this compares (in your marketing efforts) to the demo which was on your website over the weekend. That demo had more style, variety, and personality. The demo talked about here and now - is flat, dull and lifeless in comparison.

That's interesting because I have never booked a job as a direct result of that old commercial demo. I am way too self critical and had never been too happy with that demo. Maybe now I should go back and take another listen and maybe think about combining elements of that into the new one. maybe I should post the old one for some comparative feedback.

Frank F wrote:
I am sorry if I confused the issue by the comment of "the same microphone". I do however stand-by what I stated.

And so you should. your honesty is truly appreciated

Hey, maybe next time I can hire you as director. Through iSpeek of course! Smile

Cheers.

Maiku.

Murray Wiggle
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments Mike, I am not a cynic, I just play one on keyboard.

With your pipes and talent I guess I was expecting something more - well more - YOU.

I understand the understatement thing, as commercials are not your main source of income, but could be. Re-look at the previous demo - you will find some great stuff there.

(This is as much for Mike as it is for any VO Talent)

When looking at the BIG picture, consider that although people do not hire you (often) to do commercials, they are likely listening to your Commercial demo to hear just what you CAN do. Everything you do and say in public is a 'commercial' for you. Your represent your business (and the business of VO) whenever someone else sees your incredible website, meets you on the street, at dinner with friends, while driving your car, on the phone or even with the email you send. It pays to show the BEST side of yourself - at all times.

Mike, you are a gentleman and a great talent - use your skills to the best of their abilities.

Frank F

P.S.: I hope you do not find my "dribble" - a pain. I do respect your talent. Directing you would be a pleasure... and by iSpeek - well I think you understand what that would mean to me.

FF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: