VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coaches specializing in Narration and promos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Coaches specializing in Narration and promos Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I was wondering who you think is an excellent promo/narration coach?
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Howell’s Private Training
(323) 252-6690
Hollywood Priv $160. - $200.

Walsh Voiceover Coaching (323) 697-4405
W Hollywood / Hollywood Dave Walsh walshvoiceovercoaching.com
Priv. $175. - $225

Tobias Entertainment Group
(310) 990-6021
Marice Tobias
Priv $225.

Nancy Wolfson – Braintracks Audio
(310) 472-4480
Brentwood
Priv $170. braintracksaudio.com
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom Pinto was fantastic to work with for narration: http://www.thompinto.com/

I believe he also does promo coaching, too.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What these gentlemen said.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above are probably true but save your money.

Our world has no hidden skills requiring unique insights. If you are a performer, a communicator, genuine as opposed to affected, transparent rather "Billion Barrier Bob", able to feel something when you say it and maintain eye contact with an entire room you have permission to do anything you want to do.

Anyone who doesn't get what is written above may find it useful to know that Uber needs drivers in your area.

Some time ago I was wisely with wisdom pontificating on the twin scourges of poverty and despair stalking the heady world of overs we call voice like two giant stalking things. I stood on my podium a threw wisdom at the downtrodden masses.

"Well, Down, may I call you Down? Here is how to make several dollars from the Voice Over market." My level of genius caused riots on the streets of Jaipur and the executive committee of WoVo to take a vote on whether to invite me to speak at the 2017 conference or donate a Rattlesnake with a hangover to every member.

What was needed? A shot of genuine insight from the north east of the Americas.

"Y'see, Philip Banks can do whatever the hell he likes" came the cry from the rooftops. T'was the voice of D.B Cooper. I bowed my head in humble acceptance.

All I had to do was, see first paragraph for details.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's true. And it's because of your monumental life experience before you joined the world of Overs we call Voice.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
All of the above are probably true but save your money

Streep, Hoffman, De Niro, Mirren, Dench, Hanks, all study and work regularly with acting coaches. If these acting legends, none whom need or ever acted for the money, who all crave to be better still find the benefits to study and work out with a coach, why wouldn’t a scale plus 10% vo actor need/do the same?

Those of us at the top of our game in Vo still regularly study. Those who feel they are above growth and coaching are doomed to creative atrophy.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same. We are not looking at the movie greats or anecdotal assumptions. In most businesses, especially ours people hate "proof of concept" and well defined start and finish lines.

First, for clarity. Anyone may spend their money as they please and do what they want to further their careers in the knowledge they are answerable to none one.

Second. For Streep, De Niro, Hanks, Banks, Sooty and Sweep in doing the above no food vanishes from the table and the bills get paid on time. Everyone else needs to be as sure as possible that the $500 invested turns into at least a couple of thousand back. We are not looking at those in VO who are at the top of their game.

Third, finally and specifically. Real growth as a Human Being shines through when someone tests something and shouts from the rooftops "It didn't work so I'm moving on!" Self deception gets us nowhere and giving nonsense testimonials to coaches who failed us continues the error. We are or want to be in a very challenging business. We must challenge ourselves and challenge the knowledge and expertise of anyone wanting to take anywhere from between $150 and $250 per hour from us. Coaches will insist that the time and money is an investment in our careers. We as voices need to discover from whence comes the return.

Feedback. There needs to be more. "Sorry, didn't work for me because ..." feedback on Coaches and demos. The reason or reasons need to be unemotional just simple, measurable facts. When we are expected to pay for services in Cheers, woots and abstract concepts then we can return the compliment to the coach who charges 3 hugs and an awesome per hour.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks you are a delightful rarity. Through innate talent and whatever upbringing you had you were able to immediately get behind a mic and be immensely interesting and desirable. Most of the rest of us reside somewhere between there and godawful.

Coaches can be good, especially if they're within your budget, to see or hear things you don't. They can bring new thought processes into you performance that you could never have dreamed of. The same is true of great film directors and a handful of voiceover producers I've worked with over the years.

If someone is not cut out for the business, $200 for a coaching session could reap immense rewards for the student by telling them to stop wasting their time. Some years ago I offered voiceover coaching for newbies and those with a little experience and during my free evaluation sessions I turned away at least 75% of them. The next 20% lasted one or two coaching sessions before I found they wouldn't/couldn't do the work and I sent them packing, and only a very few went on to work hard and make it in the business.

Coaches have value if you listen carefully to what they say and you apply their advice to your performance. And if they say quit, quit. Life is too short.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some friends are travelling the world and will be away until December. Before they left a legal notice landed on the doorstep. They were being sued for payment by a builder. Karen asked me to act on their behalf. I agreed.

I was presented with a document running into several million pages including photographs, copies of text exchanges plus the last known address of Laverne and Shirley. WHO KNEW! I flicked through it like a flicky thing.

I asked the claimant a question he couldn't answer. The Sheriff nodded in a disapproving manner.

Last week with me at the lead Karen's Mum was handed the documents by 300 native Document Bearers.

"Tell them to enjoy the trip. I made it go away!"

"How?"

"I refused to get bogged down in the nonsense of it all!"

A Coach brings value to people if he makes them go away or helps them make a living.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is generational.. I'm an actor who happens to do voiceover. Not a "voiceoverist." The only ROI in any class that teaches craft is becoming better at the craft.

I know that the concept of being paid for vo is important to today's generation. But it never came up in any class I ever took, nor does it come up in the class I teach. In fact, if someone broaches the subject when inquiring about my workshop, I respectfully suggest they find someone else. They won't be satisfied in my animation vo workshop.

The fact that the celebs I mentioned are celebs is circumstantial. Their need and discipline to work with acting coaches began during the days they waited tables and continues today. Why? Because even at their level they know they need to stay relevant. Most actors at their level have acting coaches on retainer on the set. One of the things that makes an actor great is the insatiable need to be better.

When I was in my training years I was in an all day Saturday vo workout group with the likes of Danny Dark, Dave Madden, Joanie Gerber, Tom Bosley, Don LaFontaine. (google those names) All made more annually than I have made in my entire career. I was amazed they allowed me in. And I still work out with a variety of coaches.

Now, vetting a good coach is as vital today as it was when I first trained 40 years ago. And it's much easier to do so today! I didn't have a forum to ask others whom to study with. I picked up the trades and just called random ads. I took my chances, having NO idea who was good or even WHAT was good. Hell, I was 14. Today through social media I can reach out to today's version of Danny, Dave, Joanie, and ask whom I should study with. One of the things I learned when I was studying was if you want to know whom to study with, go to those who have the career you desire, not others who are on the same boat as you. This is why I sought out Daws Butler for animation. I was amazed to see the likes of June Foray and Lucille Bliss in the class, working out with the rest, just to stay up to speed.

And not every coach is going to be right for you. This does not make them a bad coach. I spent a few thousand dollars to find out Stella Adler was not a good acting coach for me. Marlon Brando didn't have an issue with her. But she didn't float my boat.

And I have never told any student to quit, even if I didn't think they had the "it" factor. Bad actors can get better. Christ, I was horrible when I started out! Thank GOD my coaches didn't say quit. I still have every vo workshop tape and those first couple of years show zero improvements. But I was having the time of my life. And if I wasn't going to make it, I wanted my experience in the industry to tell me this through my career attempts, not a coach.

Now, I may suggest a student hold off on further vo classes until they get solid acting technique under their belt, which is what I myself needed to do. I took a 2 years hiatus from vo and went to an acting conservatory, THEN went back to vo to apply the acting techniques I learned. It was night and day.

I listen to and critique demos every day. More often than not I'm asked, "Think I have what it takes to get work?" My response is always, "Outside my current work schedule, I have no idea if I will get more work. If I cannot guarantee my own next job, how can I guarantee yours?"

Study, folks. Don't stop! Study to stay relevant and study to get better. Don't go broke doing so, but also know you get what you pay for. Rub elbows with those who have the career you desire to have. And if the joy of acting is not as important an incentive as making money at it, find something else that fulfills more. Because in the end, regret is far worse than failure.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll up and down several times to read some of the best this place has to offer.

No one is right or wrong, it's all valuable information. Given free of charge.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great discussion. I really love the debate between Philip and Bob. My experience lies somewhere in between.

I'd been doing vo part time for more than15 years before joining the vo-bb in 2007. It was Philip's wisdom that made me realize the importance of simply being me. It was Marice Tobias who taught me how to turn being me into a signature. When I took a workshop with Bob Bergen I learned I can play characters. I didn't know that prior to that moment, but I would have had I taken regular acting classes. I didn't pursue animation because I wasn't moving to LA, so I decided to focus on what I could book in NY and my signature serves me well for non- broadcast and documentary. Should I spend half the year in LA I might revisit animation and will certainly call on Bob.

I don't know about the rest of you but I need a touchstone on occasion. We're so isolated in what we do. That person is Philip - and in a different way Bish. Both will give me the unvarnished truth. Peter will tell me why he feels a certain read sucked and make a suggestion which will often help. I do the same for him. Philip will tell me a seemingly unrelated anecdote that will somehow unlock part of my brain, or maybe it's not my brain but simply my "me," that will make me go "duh, of course" and enable me to just be me.

My point is it all works and everyone is different and what works for one won't necessarily work for others. Not every coach is for everyone. When you're looking for coaches you may have to kiss some frogs who could be others' princes, just not yours. And you may run into just frogs. And sometimes the best coaches are your friends and colleagues who know both you and the business.

The important thing with coaches these days is making sure their priority is you. A coach needs to know you, needs to know what you are OR COULD BE capable of. Demo mills are not coaches. VOs who can't make a living at VO but who will take your money to tell you how you can with their predetermined one-size-fits-all courses are not coaches. Coaches from the buy side of the industry who focus on your individuality ARE coaches. Successful VOs who can give you tools to get there, like Tom Pinto, ARE coaches.Everyone listed on Bob's list above, Marice, Nancy, Jeff, Dave, ARE coaches, although very different among themselves. As is Bob himself.

Find what works for you. But stay away from the charlatans. They're all over the place.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'll say much of what melissa just said - when i say --- i love to work with other people who know what they are doing, be that a "coach" or "something else". the other day i was directed. once again, by deebs. i don't consider myself much of an "actor", but each time i work with db cooper, i feel more confident and like i have been pushed a bit farther than i would have pushed myself.

the world of voiceover can be a lonely place, and even those of us making a living in it full time can find ourselves trying to swim in a lake of tapioca pudding. sometimes we need somebody to throw us a life ring ... or a 'nilla wafer.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To take Melissa's point and run with it, sometimes a "coach" isn't necessarily somebody you pay to give you voiceover lessons. Sometimes it is just someone whose ear and experience you trust who can give you a perspective on your work that may not be so apparent to you.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: