VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio Monitors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Studio Monitors Reply with quote

1 of my KRK Rokit 5 monitors is starting to die I think.
I'm wondering what you have for studio monitors.
Also, what kind of warranty do they have?

Thanks for playing the game!
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the Rokit 6 monitors at the moment. When I got them, I specifically opted for the older model that was still in stock (gen 2 rather than gen 3 I think). B&H were knocking them out quite cheap. Standard one year warranty. They've been rock-solid.

The reason I got them was that one of my M-Audio BX5a units failed with the well-known capacitor meltdown. I repaired it (pain in the backside) and when the other one went the same way, I just couldn't be arsed to do it. They were well outside their one-year warranty, and although this was a known problem, no one was getting any joy from M-Audio.

Can you pick up a single Rokit 5 (same generation) as a replacement? Sweetwater or Amazon sell them for about $150 each (3rd gen). I can't see the G2 listed anywhere at the moment.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the M-Audio BX5's for several years now. I had one crap out a few years ago and I've kept its mate as a back up for the pair I have now. I don't run them big and loud usually so I don't know their limits but they do well for the basic work I do.

If you'd like to do some deeper research go to our "Search" function and type in BX5. You'll find a ton of opinions on a variety of monitors.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been using the M-Audio BX5 too but, like with Bruce, one of them died a few years ago. When it happened, I Googled it and found more than a few other people had the same experience and M-Audio wasn't particularly concerned. Bye-bye.

I'm now using a pair of JBL LSR305 5" Active Studio Monitors. I prefer as uncolored a sound as possible and, to me, these sound fantastic.

nick
Contributor II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose... how much do you want to invest in monitors?

Will you only be using them for VO or for music (production or listening) as well?

Were you happy with your Rokits? If not, what is it that you did not like?
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Adam F5s Reply with quote

Got a pair of Adam F5s, and I love them. Super quiet and clean, shuts down when not in use. Love Um !

Don't remember the warranty on them.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick wrote:

Will you only be using them for VO or for music (production or listening) as well?

About $2-300 for a pair I guess. I found a couple singles for my Rokit5 generation 1s for around $100 but upon further listening BOTH of my Rokit5 speakers have a low level 'hiss/white noise' so might just need to replace them both.
I don't use them very often as I do most of my work in the headphones so something affordable with good even/flat sound is preferred.
I liked the Rockits a lot. Good punch at a decent price but not sure where the 'hiss' came from or what that indicates.
I'll use them for VO about 95% of time, 5% for music.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, I wanted to post about the reason I'm shopping for new monitors.
The right monitor has a low-volume white noise. I tried unplugging the balanced TRS cable I use to feed audio but the noise is still there.
Come to find it's doing it in the left monitor as well!
It's one of those 'not noticeable unless you're listening for it' type of things and I'm sure I can live with it until it gets any louder but I wanted to know if anyone who's dealt with or has KRK Rokit 5 (gen 1 preferably) monitors has ever noticed a low white noise/hiss type of sound?
I'm wondering if the sound has been there the whole time as I never, until I just happened to stick my head by the initial problem monitor, put my ear up close to the cones before.
I'd love to hear if this has been a problem/is a problem for any other owners.
Thanks
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a ground loop isolator, first. For 10 bucks, it took the buzz out of my monitors. This is the one I bought, but there are many different types of I/O plugs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
nick
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moosevoice wrote:
nick wrote:

[edit]...upon further listening BOTH of my Rokit5 speakers have a low level 'hiss/white noise' so might just need to replace them both... [edit] not sure where the 'hiss' came from or what that indicates. [edit]

So, the hiss is new? A low level hiss is fairly common. Is it possible that you just never noticed it until you started scrutinizing your monitors? Is the High Frequency boosted on the back of the speaker?

Obviously, the cheapest solution is to buy a matching Rokit.

Two good options have already been mentioned by Mike and FinMac. The JBL LSR 305's can be found for as low as $220/pr right now.
I bought mine for $300/pr, maybe 6 months ago. I wonder if JBL is going to replace them with a new model?
The 305's are amazing speakers for the money. The Adam F5's are currently selling for $500/pr on Amazon.

Fully knowing the limitations of auditioning speakers on YouTube, I am still compelled to include this link.
A comparison of the 305 and F5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgnuuHGjzj4

The only other monitors to consider, between the 305's and the F5's, is the Yamaha H5, currently selling for $400/pr on Amazon.
However, I think you would be better served by the 305's or F5's according to this review...
http://digitalstereophony.blogspot.com/2017/06/yamaha-hs5-review-bose-of-studio.html I have read plenty of similar reviews on the H5.

The bottom line is, if you are happy with your Rokits, just get another one. If you want to try something else, look at the 305's or the F5's.
There is really nothing else, in between.

Just found this post: [edited] "New JBL 305p Mk2 and Adam T5v are coming to the market"

And here they are:

JBL https://www.amazon.com/JBL-2-Way-Powered-Studio-Monitor/dp/B077N2GQXC

Adam https://www.soundonsound.com/news/adam-audio-intro-affordable-t-series-monitors

I sure am glad that I found this before I posted.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very much possible that I just never noticed it before. Like I said previously, my ear hasn't ever been really close to the cones...ever. Until now. I'll start with the ground loop isolator for now. If that doesn't work, it's off to do monitor research!
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a technician (nor do I play one on TV or elsewhere), but I'm willing to bet that the white noise is due to a slowly failing component, not an external source that a filter can fix.

Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAL ALERT! Massdrop has the JBL LSR305 (LSR30X is the Massdrop m/n) for $179 FOR A PAIR!
here's the link
nick
Contributor II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moosevoice wrote:
DEAL ALERT! Massdrop has the JBL LSR305 (LSR30X is the Massdrop m/n) for $179 FOR A PAIR!
here's the link

If anyone is interested in buying JBL LSR 305 speakers, this is a great deal, especially because of the extra effort JBL put into these Massdrop speaker pairs.

"Every pair of these full-size bookshelf speakers is measured and matched to within 1 dB"

I have the regular Guitar Center, non-matched pair and they have excellent imaging as they are.
I would sell my (6 month old) gently used pair for $120 if you can pick them up in Las Vegas!
They are in perfect condition, with original boxes, etc.
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's gotta say it:

if one is doing voiceovers and not mixing music, one technically don't really need two speakers, does one?
[rhetorical question]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: