VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saturday perspective

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Saturday perspective Reply with quote

In our business we really do need to stand up and be counted, shout "that ain't enough" and defend our future income. I WILL continue to bang the drum.

With the above on record and keep in my how hard done by, oppressed and exploited I am, read the following extract from a script I've just had to read to picture. Read it out loud.

"This family of four work from sunrise until 2 pm, collecting plastic, metal and bones from a landfill site. Like many children in Pakistan, young Rema and Adnan do not attend school.
They earn just 100-300 rupees a day – the equivalent of 60 p to two pounds a day. This is only enough money to buy flour, which makes just one meal a day. With so little food to eat, the family often go hungry and are in poor health.
Each day, over 500 trucks offload hazardous material, including chemicals, syringes and dirty nappies. The site has other hazards too, including deadly poisonous snakes and wild, rabid dogs.
The children have no shoes and the clothes they wear are those collected from the rubbish dump. They found their teddy bear, Shera, on the dump too. On closer inspection, the toy is infested with maggots. "
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sobering. And universal.

A survey from about a year ago found that at the community college where I teach a class, least 800 students were homeless.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach at a different college but in the same community college district as Connie. One of my students a 68 y/o female lives in her car. She has been waiting 2 years for subsidized housing. She now attends San Diego State where she gets free tuition since she is over 65. It gives her somewhere to go.

greg@gregorybest.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Washington D.C the most senior politicians pay their "people" up to $200,000 a year from tax payers money from which the tax payer derives no benefit. In the UK we have more politicians per capita than the USA. Right now the campaign over here continues to help we Brits decide if we should leave the European Union. So blundering and bureaucratic is the organisation that no one is able to genuinely present a coherent argument either way.

I am unable to do anything about the above but I AM able to feed someone, clothe them and ensure they have a bed for the night. My job is pretty pointless yet the money is provides .............
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this thread, Philip. Sobering indeed. While I can never fully understand the plight of people in a similar situation, I do try my best to be thankful for my situation and teach my kids the same.

Reminds me of a story. We were away on vacation last summer, and when we came home we stopped at our favorite pizza place. Before taking a bite I said a prayer thanking God for having this place in our town, and giving us the means to be able to buy it. I don't know what moved me to do that. We are weekly church goers, but not bible thumpers by any means, and in truth rarely pray at home.

When the kids asked why, I explained that we were fortunate for having a home, employment and the means to provide for ourselves, which not everybody does, especially outside America, or other industrialized nations. I saw a little glimmer of understanding in the kids' eyes. That's all I can hope for at this point. Hopefully, they keep those types of thoughts with them and remain thankful.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day I was getting reading in the morning. As I stood in the shower I marveled at how many individuals worked to provide me with hot, running water...and how lucky I was to have the ability to take a hot shower.

The plumbers, the water treatment people, the factories that made the shower head, bathtub and shower curtain. The hot water heater and electricity/natural gas to power it.

All so I could stand under running hot water for a few minutes.

Even the poorest among us probably all have something we can be thankful for.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup— clean water in my house. Nearly every day, I marvel.

No bombs going off in my neighborhood— incredible.

For cookies in the cupboard, and musical instruments in the house—my home: I'm staggered.

The mind-boggling luck of the accident of birth! I have privileges I can't even count.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amen to that.

bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too thank you for this thread Philip. Like you, I have been to visit the third world. I've gone on short term mission trips 3 times to places where the poverty is so extreme, just the memory of it continues to leave me gasping.

On the first of those trips, back in the mid-90s, I watched one morning as children younger than my own at the time swam in raw sewage. The joy of being able to help provide food, clothing, education and a warm, safe place to sleep for those kids was beyond my ability to put into words.

Cinda and I have, for our entire marriage, provided for the care of at least one child in the third world. Every time one of our charges graduates from the program, we start another. It's truly the least we can do.

My own conviction is that everyone who lives in a Western, first world country, should make a point to visit the third world at least once a decade. It has a salutary effect on one's attitude of gratitude. At least it does mine.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, Bob. In my travels I've been to some places that people call home that people in our country would never believe others could live in -- and they make do. That's why I have little patience for privileged people whining about things that they are incredibly lucky to have or experience.

We were working in a country where just outside of the very wealthy parts of town was a shanty town. The kids were all clean, polite and friendly. They had NOTHING to give us but smiles, and they shared freely. Back in town, the jewelry store owners couldn't be bother to even give us a look in the eye as they hawked their wares.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: