VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mic Tests at Retailers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tren Hester
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Mic Tests at Retailers? Reply with quote

Are there any retail stores in Georgia where I can try out different mics?

I'd like to test my voice on condensers versus dynamics.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guitar Center has stores in Atlanta, Lawrenceville and Marietta. They will let you try out mics in the store. I don't know if you can rent them to try them out at home, but that would certainly be preferable.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/locations/
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that it easy enough to get the retailer to allow you to bring a mic back if you find it is not to your liking.

I bought what I thought might be a pretty good mic for me - and secured an agreement with the store manager that I could bring it back, and swap it off for something else, if it did not please me. The sales manager readily agreed, because he had my money and knew that I was not stroking him. Of course, you don't use it to make money and then bring it back dinged up without all the packaging, ya know!

I have also been able to do the same with other things. Usually, I am happy with the original purchase, but it's nice to know that I ain't stuck with a lemon!
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guitar Center is fantastic. It's like a Six Flags for Musicians.

Did I miss summer? My heat came on this morning and the thermometer reads 36? Hmmmm.!
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Guitar Center just changed their policy. If you buy a mic, you have to buy the optional "security plan" or something like that to bring it back. In the past, if you bought a vocal mic, you could not return it.

The unknown variable here is the preamp. Take your preamp with you. At GC they'll run you through an Avalon 737sp to show off the mic. Most studios will have fancy API or Neve modules in addition to everything else that adds a lot of color in the "right" places.

The nice thing about paying for an hour of studio time is that you can record with several mics and several preamps and find the solution which you believe works best for you. All for about $25 or the cost of lunch. Note: If you go for the lunch and skip McDonald's for Sizzler or Red Lobster you'll have one more good contact in town.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: