VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AFASPD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: AFASPD Reply with quote

In keeping with two (2) posts on this board related to business/income m'self and m'two (2) Collies (Border) have prepared the following Authorised Financial and Self Promoting Disclosure code. We believe that all performers (Voice Actors) should (no need to put that in brackets) adhere to both (2) elements of the code, its spirit and the other thing.

1 - Exact figures regarding personal income derived from voice acting should not be disclosed unless and only if it is in the estimation of the discloser sufficient to fund the purchase of a MASSIVE YACHT.

2 - Promotional statements (self) may imply anything as long as they
a - Fool no one.
b - are used to vanquish foes
c - Do nothing in part, whole, entirely or partly whole in their partial whole entirety.

3 - Audio books, video games and fees derived from coaching others to do voice over work do not count as
a - Being a voice over
b - there is no item b
c - so what was the point of having a c?

4 - Having a wealthy spouse, chosen lifestyle partner or a trust fund who/that/which/witch subsidises the disclosers lack of success must be disclosed. e,g " I was only able to attend WootCon because I promised ...." (nothing of a sexual nature with NO VIDEO evidence)

5 - If you have a BSF (basic studio fee) or minimum studio fee it should remain constant and not vary depending on to whom you are talking.

6 - Private messages from member to member should begin with "Do I make enough to be able to talk to you?"

7 - Claims that you are really, really busy being a Voice Actor should be supported by not having the time to write lengthy, pointless posts.

8 - Misleading disclosures that imply a big gig or huge check (cheque, Czech) are positively encouraged.

9 - Any fees disclosed should include the following or in the case of Twitter the FOLLOWERS.

10 - By Reading (Berks) the preceding, knowing someone who has read or looking as if you know someone who has read the preceding implies, infers, suggests or doesn't suggest full acceptance. Members of ANY and all (so-called) P2P sites or Facebook Voice over/actor/acting groups are exempt from all elements of this code as they have enough to worry about.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly clear (unambiguous).

... except point 10 (ten). Reading (Berks) may leave those of colonial disposition confused (bewildered).
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
Reading (Berks) may leave those of colonial disposition confused (bewildered).

I don't see that as a bad thing.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff is nearly as hilarious/opaque/existential as John Lennon's In His Own Write.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AFASPD Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
3 - Audio books, video games and fees derived from coaching others to do voice over work do not count as
a - Being a voice over

Philip,

Your opinions are yours. Mine are mine. Now that I've tipped my hat in the direction of captain obvious, I will point out that the above quoted point is one with which I do not agree. In point of fact, not including work yet to be completed before the end of Quarter 1 of 2016, I have earned (after subtracting expenses and union dues) $21,239.09 from audiobook narration.

This does not represent an unusually large income in this category for me this quarter. I would submit that how I choose to devote my time and attention to the earning of a living with my voice is my own choice. I bear you no malice, but do want to point out that some of us rather like narrating audiobooks and don't appreciate being told that doing so leaves us on the outside of the voiceover world, looking in.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Bob, I bet R.C Bray isn't in the poor house after narrating "The Martian" and the "Fear" saga series. Smile

As the gold miners of yore would say, "There's money them hills!" ... but it seems you have to spend a lot of time panning...

Me? I'd narrate book for Satan (I have a funny story about that...and no, I didn't read a book for Satan exactly) if I was paid.

Anyway, to the topic at hand...

Why is anyone talking about how much they make anyway? I'm younger than most of you, and even I was taught that generally it's rude/bad manners to discuss income with others.

It's not like a potential customer can't Google voice over and find their way here. *waves* I don't know anyone that owns their own businesses that talks about their income ... unless specifically asked (and usually in private).
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far this year, I've earned next to Nothing.

I've also had a lot of coffee next to Nothing, taken a few short at-desk naps next to Nothing and keep a nice bottle of The Macallan next to Nothing.

I named my headphones, on the other hand, Ian Anderson.

Last edited by chrisvoco on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply need to re-categorise such endeavours as Medical NAHrayshun as most audiobooks are the most efficacious cure for insomnia - Medical NAHrayshun as we ALL know qualifies as Voice Over work. I myself personally this quarter have billed £14 17 Shillings and four pence ha'penny extolling the virtues of Tantor the new drug designed to help people with Wonturnapage Syndrome.

As a co-opted off the steering committee member, like this thread, we take your protest very seriously. By way of an apology we are sending a donation to Arrgh the charity set up to support people who exert themselves for the video game industry.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
Why is anyone talking about how much they make anyway?

Dave,

I apologize, to you and to anyone reading these messages, who doesn't appreciate what I posted. I thought the best way to make my point that audiobook work IS real voiceover work was to do so clearly and explicitly. Anyone can make vague declarations about this, that, or the other thing. I don't like vague or ambiguous. So for the sake of clarity I gave some specific information. People can make of it what they like.

Again, I do apologize for offending.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one believes for one minute that audiobook narration is not Voice Over work. CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU?

We happy band of mumblers visit this place for a number of reasons. For me it is a place to put down random thoughts and sometimes share a snippet of information which may encourage people to "give it one more try" because if you break through the pain barrier it is worth it.

How likely is it that a person reading posts on the VO-BB or anywhere else will go on to make a living as a Voice Over. HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

Increase your chance by

Use the internet and do not allow it to use you. "Google may find out what you said!" - It's a tool and not designed to inspire fear.

Freedom of speech means speaking freely and listening patiently.

Easily offended - Walk away.
Don't handle rejection well - Walk away.
Unable to choose your counsel wisely - Walk away.
Unable to tell fact from fiction - Walk away.
Easily get dragged into causes or arguments that will distract you - Walk away.
Frightened to turn down money when you really need the money Walk away.
On what could be thought the worst day of your life could you walk into a studio and give THE performance of your life, if not - Walk away.
Prepared to stand your ground when all around are giving way, if not - Walk away.
When people are laughing at you are you able to join in, if not - Walk away.

There are reasons why the top 2% of Voice Over people occupy their lofty positions. They are the 2%, they are oddballs and it is nothing to do with money or its vulgarity.

Am I prepared to take this nonsense a moment longer? Yes, of course. No one loves me and I have not a friend in the world so it's this or play video games.

Where was I? Oh yes. COFFEE!
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
DenaliDave wrote:
Why is anyone talking about how much they make anyway?

Dave,

I apologize, to you and to anyone reading these messages, who doesn't appreciate what I posted. I thought the best way to make my point that audiobook work IS real voiceover work was to do so clearly and explicitly. Anyone can make vague declarations about this, that, or the other thing. I don't like vague or ambiguous. So for the sake of clarity I gave some specific information. People can make of it what they like.

Again, I do apologize for offending.

Sounds like I missed the 'party' so-to-speak!

No worries, I do more audio books than other forms of VO right now, so I'm with you on saying audio books are "real voice over". If anything, I feel it's pushing me in new ways to develop skills I can translate over into other types of VO.

I get the "vibe" that the folks who've been in the industry for years and years don't care much for where the audio book world has gone -- as it's encouraging talent to do more for the same amount of money.

It's like in the corporate world when your boss tells you that you are being "cross-trained" ... that's a code word for "we want you to do more for the same salary, so we're training you on how to do the job of two people with the paycheck of one".

That's just my observation, at least?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The audio book world is alive and well. Interesting to note that names associated with the "Audies" (Audio book awards) include the cream of the British and US acting community.

Here in the UK on BBC Radio 4 big names do back flips when they hear that they have been asked to do "A Book at bed time". It is a huge gig! The money is not going to buy a MASSIVE YACHT but the gig is still HUGE!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip,

I am grateful to be your friend, if you'll still have me. And I love the way we give and take here. All in good fun.
+1-724-613-2749
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
7 - Claims that you are really, really busy being a Voice Actor should be supported by not having the time to write lengthy, pointless posts.

Since I am on hold with BoA trying to get a new IMPORTANT TAX RETURN DOCUMENT with the proper designation of the property, I am composing a lengthy and probably pointless post.

(Total length will depend on how long it takes a representative to pick up.)

I sent out my Quarterly newsletter on Friday last featuring an article of interest to the majority of my mailing list, an announcement of a newly reworked website and a picture of one of my cats.

http://eepurl.com/bUs5Tz

The result was:

A. Successful - open rate was higher than last Quarter.
B. Successful - click rate was higher than last Quarter.
C. Successful - past clients replied to that email with jobs.

(By the way, my call is important to them - they will be with me momentarily.)

In other news, I have a new pooch - a rescue, soon to be adopted little Chihuahua mixed with an Alpaca I think. All of my cats outweigh him. We go on long walks and snuggle in the evening.

(Sorry, got distracted by email coming in and popping up on the screen,)

(And now the representative is the line!)

Well, this wasn't very long...

Nothing to see here...move along.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
Philip,

I am grateful to be your friend, if you'll still have me. And I love the way we give and take here. All in good fun.

An honour and a joy to consider you a dear friend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: