VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A/D Interface--what are you guys using?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: A/D Interface--what are you guys using? Reply with quote

(I mean guys in the gender-neutral sense btw ladies)

My Focusrite Forte is still working but is increasingly becoming a PITA and having to be re-booted on an almost daily basis.....I have a feeling it will be time to shop for a new interface soon......I need good converters, pre-amps are not as important as I'm devoted to my John Hardy M-1.

I would like to keep it under $400 but can go to around $500 for the right device. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Focusrite auth service guy in Nashville I used before.Typically less to repair it than buy a new one if you like the interface.

http://www.allproelectronics.com
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: interfaces that I use Reply with quote

Audient iD22 is very nice. Has excellent converters and you can bypass the micpres (which are very good), The Headphone amplifier and monitor controller are both excellent.

Not sure how good the converters are in the Yamaha AG03, but it is nice for the fact you can set it up for a mix-minus by selecting one switch!

The Yamaha also has a built-in DSP eq and high pass filter, which you can use to taste. And the price is amazingly low.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: interfaces that I use Reply with quote

FinMac wrote:

Not sure how good the converters are in the Yamaha AG03, but it is nice for the fact you can set it up for a mix-minus by selecting one switch!

The Yamaha also has a built-in DSP eq and high pass filter, which you can use to taste. And the price is amazingly low.

I'm loving the AG03. So simple and the most powerful Pre-amp I've found in this price range. For the record, I've tried the Focusrite 2i2, the Micport Pro, the Steinberg UR22 and the Mackie Onyx blackjack all in the last month.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the Apogee Duet which has the option to switch the preamps off and just use it as an A/D converter. I now use an iD22, and while I do use it's preamps, it has an insert point that just accesses the A/D and you can bypass the preamps completely. There may be others on the market that allow this total bypass, but I don't know which ones.

I've never seen the point in buying a good preamp & A/D combo when you already have a perfectly good pre (although that's how I ended up using the Duet). Most options on the market do not allow the preamp to be completely bypassed, and (let's be honest) that's where most of the money goes. I know George likes the humble UCA222 ($30), however, it's only a 48KHz 16-bit unit. It's a straight D/A with s/pdif output as well. Of course, if you want 24-bit, this is not suitable... but there may be better options than buying preamps and not using them!

Though I do agree that looking into repair of the Forte is a good idea.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Forte lets you bypass its pres by using line level inputs (I use mine that way) and also has a great pre if you need it for redundancy or if your pre goes out on yas.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. Sounds like it's still the usual suspects cool

Eddie, my Forte often loses contact with my computer (Mac) whenever the computer goes into sleep/screen saver mode. When it does I have to either unplug/ re-plug the Forte or sometimes , restart the computer.

It has done this pretty much from the beginning but now it's taking longer to get it re-established, thus my suspicion that it may be going south...

Does yours do that also?
Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link ( below ) from October last year and read Georges post on Beau Weavers John Hardy with the Lexicon Alpha. At $US49.00 they are amazing and also feature balanced ins/outs. I use to have the Duet with an Isa One, but now its the Alpha with the Isa One, excellent clean sound and you are fully bypassing the preamp. In addition, with the Mac, there are no drivers, just plug in and you're in business.

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17560&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Cheers
Peter
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood wrote:

Eddie, my Forte often loses contact with my computer (Mac) whenever the computer goes into sleep/screen saver mode. When it does I have to either unplug/ re-plug the Forte or sometimes , restart the computer.

It has done this pretty much from the beginning but now it's taking longer to get it re-established, thus my suspicion that it may be going south...

Does yours do that also?

Mine does not. That's worth a call to the California office. They can get you good insight and find out if you need services.
Do you have the most recent firmware
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Apogee Duet IOS. Works very well with my Mac. No issues and sounds great. Pre-amp is pretty good in it too but you don't have to use it if you don't want to. Mine was $600 brand new two years ago.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to test the Mix/Minus feature of the Yamaha AG03. Worked like a charm. The ability to do that with just a switch on the mixer is pretty slick.
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn Moore wrote:
I use the Apogee Duet IOS.

Yup, me too. Works nicely for what I need, plus has a MIDI input which is useful as I also play the piano. Well...keyboard...because my house is tiny and my actual piano doesn't fit)...

That said, I get an annoying OSX volume popup every time I switch to a new application window when the duet is plugged in. It used to actually reset the master volume to a certain level each time I did it. Hasn't don't this since I upgraded to El Capitan. This goes away when my DAW is open, but I find it annoying having my DAW opened and minimised at all times.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a PreSonus Audiobox USB. Kind of older (technology wise anyway) but works like a champ.
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burl B2 Bomber here. Call off the search!
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Burl B2 Bomber here

Burly price though cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: